V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got one of the first sets of SuperTrapp V-5 2into 1exhaust system for the V-rod.I had Sanpsons .Before we installed the ST V-5's we dyno the Sampson's on LVHD chassie dyno.Base line was 103.2hp and 74.5 tq.After install with same tune running the V-5's closed up they made 108.8hp and76.3 tq.I was really pumped because that was with out any custom tune on my Techlusion box!Next was with the ST V-5's "uncorked" end plate removed.She screamed to a 112.4 hp and 76.4 tq on stock 91 octain.I usaully run 100.With my old Sampsons tune up.With 100 octain and and a better tune up there's got to be a few more hp in her!Thats almost 10 rwhp gain over the Sampsons.They had tested a stock V-rod earlier and it made 96.6 rwhp.Every dyno is different but it made an honest 10rwhp gain just bolting it on,and boy does it look and sound awsome!SuperTrapp V-5 2into1's are the finest pipes out there and I have tryed a few!They are spendy $599.00 retail and it took 1.5 hour's to install.Needed a little muscle,but well worth the money and effort!
Kaz........
:D

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
beg to differ

SuperTrapp V-5 2into1's are the finest pipes out there and I have tryed a few!They are spendy $599.00 retail and it took 1.5 hour's to install
If you prefer the look of the oem pipes vs aftermarket:
V-Mods: $150.00 exchange ($325.00 outright), 20-30 min. install
I was really pumped because that was with out any custom tune on my Techlusion box!Next was with the ST V-5's "uncorked" end plate removed.She screamed to a 112.4 hp and 76.4 tq on stock 91 octain.
Dynojet 250, 6 runs, 91 octane
02 VRSCA w/SE1 re-map, K&N, V-Mod mufflers
Max Power: 117.3 RWHP @ 8200 RPM
Max Torque: 80.4 Ft-Lbs @ 6200 RPM
Best Run: 120.3 @ 8300 RPM (no air filter)
chart: http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4876&pagenumber=2

In terms of bang for your buck, it's an unbeatable set-up.
400 bucks (re-map/K&N/V-Mods) nets you 10+ RWHP & 10+ ft-lbs Torque.
WITH NO LEAN CONDITION!

Nuf Said?

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Every dyno is different What did it make stock?I saw a stock 03 dyno chart at 96.5 rwhp.Vegas is at 2300ft .What are you at?Those are some big numbers you should be very proud!I know what my bike made with the Sampsons.Monday it goes back for remaping.This was with the stock tune up for the Sampsons,so I'm sure there more left.You said you Mille mad 155 rwhp also?If so you have one 'Happy Dyno" our have some of the most powerful stock bike around!Believe me this is only the beginning.I will see just how much rwhp our beloved V-rod can make!
Kaz......:cool:

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I read your post sorry 146 on the Mille.You did not give the stock results before mods?60 degree's"cool" and Sea level? That is a bonus!Bring her to Vegas and if it make those numbers here I will buy you a Lap Dance and a Beer!LOL!!!!
Kaz.... ;)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hey Kaz,
The SF Bay Area is extremely oxygen rich due to its unique climate; fog/jet stream/redwood forests = horsepower weather. I've heard we normally post higher hp numbers here than anywhere else in N. America.

Vallejo Harley-Davidson's Dynojet 250 is approx 60 ft. above sea level.
Stock Vrods run at around 105 RWHP here. 117 is still 10+RWHP over stock.

My Mille dynoed @ 119.8 RWHP @ 8400rpm w/race pipe/chip/K&N
I never dynoed stock (no point) 110 RWHP approx.
It's a whole nother animal now at 146:eek:

BTW - How Bout Those Giants?:D:D:D

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes a BIG difference!They don't make those numbers down/up here!1 more game!looking good.
Kaz..................

·
Registered
291 Posts
My thoughts on the Supertrapps after a couple weeks, some of it being personal opinion and preference, of course, but wanted to pass on an opposite view of the Supertrapps.

Not dynoed, but it scream, I would say its better then the Screaming Eagles in this area.

The rear blows exhaust all over the wheels and cleaning these rims as we all know is a pain. Might be the area i am in, (NY) or the cold weather. This apparently can be fixed by shelling out another 90 or so bucks for a different cap. The bike might be a bit rich still, making for the extra spew on my wheels, I dont know.

I hate the sound. Its louder then the Screaming Eagles, but its an annoying almost rattling loud noise when its running. No, nothings loose, its just hard to describe. Anyone whos heard a Supertrapp on a cycle or car knows the distinctive Supertrapp sound. If you dont, you might want to hear one before you do it. At idle it sounds great.

Butt ugly. Wish I had thought about it more before I did it. In their defense, I never cared for the 2 into 1 and its so large, it looks even sillier as I now really appreciate the looks of the stock exhaust.

Ive opted to go for the Vmod, my stock pipes are already on the way there. I decided the stock pipes are simply the coolest looking ones out there and with the Vmod I can get performance, looks and sound.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M/A,
Try un-corking them.No plate on the end just open.Maybe it would'nt get the rims so dirty?How did you get a set 2 weeks ago?Who do you know?I had to pull some major strings to get mine?I have 2 sets of stockers so maybe I will get the V-mod to conpare?Who do you send them too?
Kaz...................

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ebay, 420 bucks :) The guy has others listed there a week ago, I simply bookmark a search for V-Rod, here you go:

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...y=MetaNewSort&query=V-Rod&ht=1&combine=y&st=2

As for V-mod, Steve posts here, but heres his website:

http://www.mainstreetmotorcycles.com/231.html

Email or call his 800 number, hes super helpful. If you search, the info on how to do this is available somewhere, you can do this yourself. Me, I am too lazy and not the handiest with tools, so ill pay ;)

Like you, I looked everywhere and heres the basics of what I can REMEMBER and how I got to where I am following a ton of hours reading various message boards , websites and chatting with some riders:

SuperTrapps: Read above ;)

Samsons: My first choice originally, I dig the classic dual exhaust look, but refuse to sacrifice that much power and be that loud (Nighttrain had Pythons 3's and that was already almost too loud)

Bubb: Winner of the ugliest pipe contest. Couldnt do it :(

Screaming Eagles: Nice pipes! Still too quiet, its a fine line ;) Otherwise I love them, lighter and louder and better performance then stock. Scripted Screaming Eagle in the chrome looks sharp. Harley Chrome is always nice.

Screaming Eagle (Double Barrel or whatever?) Reading good things, dont like the looks.

V-mod: Killer feedback from people on sound and performance. Too bad I didnt do it first, looks like not only the best move, but retains look of stock exhaust for a fraction of the cost of anything else. Horsepower, sound and looks for 150 bucks. Dynos and a sound file are available from Steve I believe. If not for anything else, if your not sure, this is the cheapest way and where I should have gone first.

I hear other pipes are coming including Vance and Hines, but my original though was always that I wished someone would make a pipe exactly like the V-rods, maybe a hair smaller with additional performance and noise. It appears that this will not happen, as each of the above pipes are different in their style.

So, there ya go if anyone else is considering an exhaust replacement and wants advice from a stranger as to how I got where I am...... Hope it helps someone to make a better decision and get it right the first time, unlike myself :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
SuperKaz,
What did you think about the Supertrapps overall appearance? I thought the chrome quality was not very good and I didnt like the way the pipe flares. It does not get smoother steadily as it gets larger, but rather looks like a bunch of small flares to allow it to get larger. Overall, aside from the fact I dont care for the appearance, the pipes themselves just look cheesy compared to quality pipes I have owned like Python 3's or Screaming Eagle...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
SuperKaz said:
That makes a BIG difference!They don't make those numbers down/up here!
Just one more reason to hate California!:p
Bring her to Vegas and if it makes those numbers here I will buy you a Lap Dance and a Beer!LOL!!!!
Bring yours here and we can find out how that set-up works in a horsepower friendly environment:D

Major A,
I was originally waiting for V&H to produce a nice 2 into 1 design but who knows when that may happen. I'm a cheap bastard and hate buying $hit twice or more before the right product comes along. I went the opposite rout and waited for the right set-up to arrive. I looked at all the available options and kept my wallet zipped until Steve's V-Mods hit the market. I prefer the stock pipes styling to any of the after-market pipes. The V-Mods look great, make HP & torque and they sound incredible. All for $150.00! It’s a no brainer.

Giants in 7?!

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
M/A
You still didn't say how you got your pipes so early?They are just being released.My V-rod is very customized so they go with the Euro Racer look!i just got a new lap top so when I figure out how to reduce my pics down by my self I will post them of my new set up.I'm wireless now with this lap top so if I can plug and play I'll post some pics ASAP!
Rob,
I doubt I would bring my V-rod ,but I here My "Duc's" would love to play in your Twistys!Vegas is Cruzer Heaven !Riding your V-rod down the LV Strip Rules!
Kaz............

·
Registered
291 Posts
Theres a lot of programs to reduce photo sizes. Most cameras allow you to choose a image size, but still usually large files due to the quality. I would try Paint Shop Pro (demo available) at http://www.jasc.com

Its easy to use. Simply open the photo, choose image\resize and set the size you want. When you save, choose file\save as and in the options of saving, you can choose to reduce image quality, 15-20% will cut down the file small enough to load fast, while retaining the quality.

Your camera software might hae come with a similar program to do this.

My picture above was originally 1280X768 or so and about 300 kb and by doing what I mentioned above, it is now 640X480 and 72 kb, as you can see.

Hope that helps, was not sure if you didnt know how or just havent gotten the tools on your new laptop yet... Looking forward to seeing the pics.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry E-gay?Are you sure they are real?They might be a pre production piece because I got mine straight from the company and it was a major PIA!They are just availbe this week!
Kaz...........:confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Could be, dont know. The guy selling them, judging by his feedback, sells tons of exhausts from many manufacturers and has sold quite a few of these Supertrapps for the V-Rod. I cant imagine there were that many pre-production pipes out there, but who knows? I saw you could order them from Supertrapp weeks ago online and Power Commander has the download for the pipes also for at least a few weeks, so one can assume the pipes have been ready to go for sometime, otherwise the PowerCommander download wouldnt be there. Either way, for me at least, they could add 30 horsepower and I still wouldnt keep them on. But, to each his own, right? :)

If you want, email the guy from the link acting as a buyer and ask him how he got them. He should give you an answer, he answered me quickly. Wish I could help you more there.

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
M/A,
Oh well?I love mine so thats all that matters!I'm very leary of e-bay stuff.Especially when that are out before anyone else has them and are 20% less than retail?Some things are to good to be true!
Kaz.................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts