V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my RK in for an inner primary leak. While it was there they changed out the motor mount under warranty and replaced it with a new redesigned one. I hadn't heard that there had been a change. Motor shakes less at idle. Anyone know about these new ones?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Motor mount change??

I couldn't see the service bulletin....can someone please give me the details?? is this just for the new touring bikes? or is it for all touring bikes in hopes to get rid of the high speed/sweeping curve boogie allot of folks seem to have?
Thanks
JDB

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Here you go

Purpose
A new improved front rubber mount will be introduced as a
running change on all 2006 Touring model motorcycles.
Before appearing on production motorcycles, the new rubber
mount will first be available as a replacement part.
NOTE
The new front rubber mount is part number 16207-79C and
replaces part number 16207-79B. In the interest of promoting
customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson requests that you
return your inventory of the old style front rubber mount following
the CREDIT PROCEDURE which follows.
Motorcycles Affected
The new improved front rubber mount retrofits all Touring
model motorcycles manufactured since 1980.

There really isn't much in the way of useful info in there. Unless you are working the parts counter at the local Harley store in which case they tell you how to return the old stock under warranty.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Just talked to my dealer. Yours was just being nice. It's not a recall, just an update. IF you need one, they should use the new style, but not replacing anything that ain't broke.

·
Registered
404 Posts
"The new improved front rubber mount retrofits all Touring
model motorcycles manufactured since 1980."

Sweet ! Now when the Donut rips apart in another 20k on my '89 I'll try the new styled one.

Has anyone seen the new mount up close?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Anyone know if it's still rubber? Or is it urethane? Looks like the new mount distributes the load better across it instead of concentrating it all on that narrow sleeve of the old one.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
INteresting. My front mount has been replaced 3 times in 95,000 miles on my '02 Road King.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
dwarthog said:
Purpose A new improved front rubber mount will be introduced as a running change on all 2006 Touring model motorcycles. Before appearing on production motorcycles, the new rubber mount will first be available as a replacement part.
NOTE
The new front rubber mount is part number 16207-79C and replaces part number 16207-79B. In the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson requests that you return your inventory of the old style front rubber mount following the CREDIT PROCEDURE which follows.
Motorcycles Affected
The new improved front rubber mount retrofits all Touring model motorcycles manufactured since 1980.

There really isn't much in the way of useful info in there. Unless you are working the parts counter at the local Harley store in which case they tell you how to return the old stock under warranty.
Guess my dealer didn't get his memo from MoCo. Took our '04 FLHTCI in on 12/28/05 for leak(rocker cover gasket) and CD skipping on radio. Returned on 12/31/05 with repairs done(Thanks for not calling me. I was just driving by & thought I'd check on it. :hmmm: ) The CD was skipping because the motor mount was busted. They replaced it with the 16207-79B mount. :hmmm:

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Unome said:
Guess my dealer didn't get his memo from MoCo. Took our '04 FLHTCI in on 12/28/05 for leak(rocker cover gasket) and CD skipping on radio. Returned on 12/31/05 with repairs done(Thanks for not calling me. I was just driving by & thought I'd check on it. :hmmm: ) The CD was skipping because the motor mount was busted. They replaced it with the 16207-79B mount. :hmmm:
Geez, getting info out to the dealers, then getting them to actually read it must be a nightmare for the MoCo, not to mention the customers they piss off along the way.

Hope they make it right for you, and replace with the upgraded motor motor mount.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Unome said:
dwarthog said:
Geez, getting info out to the dealers, then getting them to actually read it must be a nightmare for the MoCo, not to mention the customers they piss off along the way. Hope they make it right for you, and replace with the upgraded motor motor mount.
Went by their yesterday because TA-DAH!! CD is still skipping. Asked why they used old style motor mount when H-D had letter about about a new one that replaces the old and dealers were supposed to use it and send old ones back to MoCo. Was given a stutter answer of "We probably didn't have new one in stock. We can order them and when they come in, replace it again." Thank you, that will work for me.

Talked about the CD skipping and was given, "Well, you'll have to bring it in and leave it for a couple of days so we can check it out and get with H-D." Also, "When it skips, try to remember what kind of road conditions you're on at that time."

That's cool. I'll ride it a week or so and let you know what is going on and schedule an appointment. Go out to bike, crank it up, turn on CD & nothing. Promptly pull around back, leave bike running, go into service area and get 2 guys I've been talking to and drag them outside. Have them stand there, watch the timer on CD change(stood there about 30 - 45 seconds) and crank volume up and no sound. They promptly scratch their heads and again, "Well, you'll have to bring it in and leave it for a couple of days so we can check it out and get with H-D."

Oh, yeah, CD skips randomly when bike is running, standing still while running, going down road or just power on. Again, random. We'll see how they handle new motor mount and everything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts