V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am picking up my new street glide tomorrow. is there anything that i should be looking for at delivery. such as air shock pressure, cd operating, etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
is there anything that i should be looking for
.....sure, my address. Just leave the bike in my driveway and I'll take care of it from there :265:

When I took delivery of my FLHTI the shocks didn't have any air in them and the tires were a little low. I went over all the fasteners just to make sure nothing was loose and it all seemed fine. Almost 10,000 miles later and all's great.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a FLHXI on order for april delivery.This will be the first bike I have owned since I sold my Low Rider back in 1989. I hope I do not regret ordering it with fuel injection. Everything about this bike will be new to me. I have rode my sons Sportster some but a sporty is not a Street Glide.?prty: Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
wvwayne said:
I have a FLHXI on order for april delivery.This will be the first bike I have owned since I sold my Low Rider back in 1989. I hope I do not regret ordering it with fuel injection. Everything about this bike will be new to me.
Once you start it a few times, you'll realize why you got the EFI!!!

The newest HD scooter I'd owned before this '06 SG was my '96 Heritage. I had a Mikuni carb on her and she was tuned well. But....it was still a cold natured EVO and it told me how much it didn't like having me take her out on a cold morning!!

And, if you've ever kicked a Shovel or Pan to life before, you'll soon realize the EFI is just as great as that electric start button was at first!! LMAO

Good luck and enjoy,

Tom

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I would definitely check the paint/tins over VERY well, let the dealer know about any chips/scrathes that you can before you take it home. I would also check the headlight adjustment. I have seen it be so far off that you literally cant see 20 feet in front of you. This has been really apparent on softail models though. Good luck and congrats.....txchop\

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with the previous reply. The bike comes with a warranty so mechanical concerns can be taken care of later (oil leaks, driveability concerns, etc). Before taking delivery of the bike I would roll the bike outside and look over the paint real close for chips and / or scratches and have the dealer document anything you find. Good luck with the new ride.

·
Registered
191 Posts
"I am picking up my new street glide tomorrow. Is there anything that I should be looking for at delivery"

Yes. Test every function before you drive off (lights, turn signals, switches, cig lighter, radio, CD player.... well, you get the idea) AND ask them to check the air pressure in your shocks with you present.

regards

·
Registered
267 Posts
I pick up my street Glide today at 11:00. Been TDY for 3 weeks and bike came in day I left. THey did the 95 Stage II upgrade and Rineharts with Power Commander. Got home 10 PM last night and been up since 4AM (cannot sleep).

At least no snow or crap weather other than 40 as a high (Maryland). Going to see how many miles I can get on it today before my teeth freeze from the combination of cold and smiling.

How many more minutes before I can open this Christmas present?????? Guess the day it stops effecting me like this, is the day I am too old to ride.

skip

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Skip! Snice Choice!!! The new SG is the way to go. I picked mine up in Sep. and wish the weather was warmer here todays high is 34 degrees. If its dry i'll still go out and rattle my teeth some. I also have the stage II set up very similar. I went with the Race Tuner. What was the dealers reason to go with the Power Commander? I understand they are easier to tune? Enjoy da bike, Zen

·
Registered
529 Posts
06HawgSG said:
Once you start it a few times, you'll realize why you got the EFI!!!

The newest HD scooter I'd owned before this '06 SG was my '96 Heritage. I had a Mikuni carb on her and she was tuned well. But....it was still a cold natured EVO and it told me how much it didn't like having me take her out on a cold morning!!

And, if you've ever kicked a Shovel or Pan to life before, you'll soon realize the EFI is just as great as that electric start button was at first!! LMAO

Good luck and enjoy,

Tom
AH yes Pan Heads...I tried to buy a 1948 Pan many...many moons ago back when Shovels were still high tec and Harley had a dry plate clutch that took a real man to ride in traffic.We tried to light a fire in that baby for quite sometime.:chopper:

·
Registered
267 Posts
All I can say is WOW. The kid has a new toy for Christmas. Picked up the SG yesterday and put 95 miles on it (38 degrees by 3:30). Work like a charm so far. Not over 3000 rpm first 50 miles and then only to 3500 (maybe 3800 once or twice), but seems great. No problems with PC, which I went to because the dealer sells them and would stand behind it. Plus promise of Dyno run/set when I bring it back for 1000 service.

Going out in a few minutes again. I am doing my fluid change at 500 miles and give it to them for 1000 again.

skip

·
But officer........
28 Posts
Camera108 said:
I pick up my street Glide today at 11:00. Been TDY for 3 weeks and bike came in day I left. THey did the 95 Stage II upgrade and Rineharts with Power Commander. Got home 10 PM last night and been up since 4AM (cannot sleep).

At least no snow or crap weather other than 40 as a high (Maryland). Going to see how many miles I can get on it today before my teeth freeze from the combination of cold and smiling.

How many more minutes before I can open this Christmas present?????? Guess the day it stops effecting me like this, is the day I am too old to ride.

skip
Congrats on the new ride!! What part of Maryland are you in? I grew up in western Maryland before I joined the AF in 1980. Retired last Nov. By the picture I take it you aren't in the western part because they have some snow. Glad you were able to put some miles on her. I haven't been able to ride since 3 Dec. We have been cold -2 Friday night and only 19 for the high yesteday. I doesn't help to have 6 of snow since yesterday either.

Dino

·
Registered
267 Posts
DinosUltra, I live just south of Annapolis about 2 block off bay. Great area. Contrats your self on AF retirement. Stange as it sounds, I am at ANG Headquarters on Title 10 active duty as Chief of 3V AFSCs. 34 years in (Jun 71) and was going to retire this month, but they talked me into another 4 years. After that just tape the Depends on my butt and send me out the door to ride!!! Wife (of 7 years) works as civilian for same agency and has 8 years to retire. So I could do the duty and pay for both the new bike and the last kid starting college.

I shot the farm yesterday because the figure of the bird made of hay in background. Plus I thought I should let the bike cool between heat cycles.

I do a lot of TDT travel to Knoxville and beyond. The Street Glide will replace the Yamaha Venture for long distance. Keeping the 02 T-Sport.

I didn't get to ride today as momma said I had been back in town 1 day and picked up my bike, I could spend time with her shopping. Sometimes ya got to pick your fights and make points for later. We stopped at the HD dealer and picked up a couple presents <;^)
Oh well.
skip

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anybody riding on Street Glides this week. I saw threads saying people getting new rides, but no photos. Here is one from yesterday before the rain started in Maryland? Limited miles because of the weather and family Christmas time. Lets see some of the new bikes!!!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Rode Friday, it was great, temp 50+, sun shining and had not ridden in about 2 weeks. Hope to ride tomorrow if weather permits. Love the bike, wish I had the big windshield, but I can't give up the sweet look of the shorter dark tint. Started with the stock, went to the 6 1/2", wind still hits me in the forehead and drives me crazy, I think I will end up with a 9". Good thing you mentioned the bird made of hay in the first picture, I did not notice it.:beer:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Camera108 said:

skip
Congratulations! Nice Scoot!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts