V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and thanks for taking the time to read this,

I have just done a frame off on a 1986 FXR. It is completed now starts great, runs great, looks great!!! But it is not charging. I had the battery load tested, 495CCA 12.5volts, good battery. I checked the stator for continuity, and shorts, tested good. Ah Ha I say replaced the regulator. Being a newbie to this alternator stuff I bought the correct regulator for my 1986 trouble is someone had upgraded to a 38amp charging system. Since there is no return on electrical I decided to go ahead and match the Stator to my new regulator. Still not charging. I checked the grounds, all tight, I stabbed the hot wire coming out of the regulator and checked for voltage there still no charge. The instalation instructions on the regulator said to run it to the AUX terminal on the main circuit breaker(that terminal supplies the switch). The original wiring had it wired to the Bat terminal. I don't get the difference, there is continuity thru the breaker. I pulled the primary apart again to look at the rotor. It looks intact. Tomorrow I'll reassemble and swap that wire over to the other side of the main breaker I sure dont see what that'll change. Any suggestions? Am I overlooking something? Please educamate me.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Pull the plug from the primary. That is the stator connector. Start the bike and check for AC voltage at this connector, you should see much higher voltage than 12, but I an't remember how much, maybe 30-40vAC.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Pan

Definitely do the test Doc sugg's..
It should be about 20 ACV's per 1,000 Rpms resulting in about 60 ACV's at 3K R's..

You checked the grounds but,, did you make certain the V-R unit itself is grounded to it's mount OR has a dedicated ground wire to be fastened to the frame/motor/etc etc..?

I have never Not had a good ground for the V-R so I do Not know what will happen in that case but, make sure of that possibility just so you can eliminate it..

I live up the road in Apache Junction & be happy to look at it, then there's Dan at Dans Motorsickle Shop, right on the trail in AJ, he's a Spark Whizzard,, might give him a call--- Mon - Fri only..

[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi buddy, Tim from Australia. As the Dr. Deuce suggested, check the voltage from the primary. If the voltage is not correct, you may have installed the Stator incorectly. (I had a shop once do this and the stator cover cut the wires coming from the Stator). If the voltage seems correct, then move onto the regulator. (I had another situation where I had a brand new (FAULTY) regulator). Then if this checks out o.k. then move onto the wiring and wire it up exactly like the original one was. Make sure you have earth were your mounting the regulator (much overlooked problem). good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your help, I did check the V-R for a ground, I actually put a jumper wire on the V-R body to ground, I wish I had checked the AC volts prior to tearing the primary down again, that's on the agenda tonight. While I am in there is it possible to run the stator plug thru the engine case backwards? Thus when plugging in the V-R having it reversed? That may be a stupid questiion since AC alternates back and forth.Reassemble primary tonight, check for AC voltage and reverse the wire on the circuit breaker. Thanks again all!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try switching the wire from the voltage regulator that connects to the main breaker to the post that looks like it is copper on the main breaker. Do not connect it to the battery as this will damage your regulator. Because it will constsntly have vdc current all the time and thats not good. Read your service manuel, if you don't have one then go tot he dealership and spend the bucks as this is a good source of information to have when needed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
""""Try switching the wire from the voltage regulator that connects to the main breaker to the post that looks like it is copper on the main breaker. Do not connect it to the battery as this will damage your regulator. Because it will constsntly have vdc current all the time and thats not good. Read your service manuel, if you don't have one then go tot he dealership and spend the bucks as this is a good source of information to have when needed.""""

I must respectfully & vigorously dis-agree with Mike unless I somehow have mis-understood his meaning..

I have run the Hot wire directly to the Batt Poz post Literally for decades.. There are simply Zero consequences doing so..
Even with the wire routing first to a C-B, all the DC juice goes directly to the Batt poz anyway in all it's strength & glory,, the only diff being is the C-B will interrupt the flow upon any "short-like" probs..

Also, there is No correct way to plug the V-R plug into the Stator plug,, either way is just fine, although there is No reason to twist either plug that I can think of..

The only thing that makes a Stator go bad is when it's plug wires get chaffed and short-out Or if it's Windings get damaged and short-out,,, other-wise a Stator can literally perform it's job till the earth burns to a cinder..
Even it's plug wires can be spliced if they do get chaffed and run for ever again..
I have done just that--- when you're poor you gotta fix stuff rather than go buy stuff..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drinks are on me !!!! Many thanks for the help.

Before work this AM I switched the terminals on the c-b and reread the instructions for the v-r the purpose of putting the v-r on the load side is to protect in case of a short @ the battery. I am thinking inadvertent wrench etc.
I also busted out the multimeter and determined that in fact I did not have a good ground on the v-r. I put a ground wire on the v-r and OUILA 13.2V at idle 14.5V @ 2000 RPM.

This was an expensive lesson but I have a good 38A stator and regulator on my shelf for future use and as I told the OL you dont get good at this **** without a mistake or two along the way. After our official unveiling of her "new" bike this Saturday, I'll return with pictures.

Thanks again for taking your time and Frisco Rigid maybe we'll see ya around I am just in Chandler and hit "What the Hell" occasionally.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey Bud

Yeah,, WTH has good burgers for real.....

If you see a black rigid Shovel or a black rigid Evo, both with black bags and White FatBobs,, it's gotta be me.....!
Lil MagnoliaBlosom's 86 Fxrp is blue and always with me..

We're at Gilbert Golds on Baseline 4 days a week..

Sooo, that's how you spell Waa Laa......................................

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fxr

Here's the FXR in question

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts