V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's new sportster has a problem that two dealers just shrug their shoulders at. Can't find neutral unless you reach down and do it by hand. I've tried coming up from first and down from second and only rarely can I hit it. Its an issue because she is a new rider and I'm very uncomfortable from a safety standpoint with her not being able to get out of gear. Her small hands make clutch work tiring over time. When the engine is not running its not a problem, only when up and running. Dealer(s) both say it will go away after a few miles but I'd rather get it working up front. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Don't shift it. When at a stop in first gear put some pressure on the shifter like trying to shift into neutral and then blip the throttle. It usually will go right into neutral.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Mine is difficult to find 1st also. I found this to be the easiest way. First I downshift to 1st, then don't even try to slightly pull up and find neutral. Just upshift like normal to second, then a slight downward tap and it easily goes into neutral. Now it seems easy to me. :)

·
Banned
316 Posts
I can't really help you on the "neutral" problem, but as far as your wife's small hands keeping the clutch held in, you might want to invest in an "AMP" power clutch. It is a simple bolt on attachment at the mirror mount to ease the pull on the clutch. I knew one girl that had one and said it helped quite a bit. They only run about $100 at J&P, slightly more for chrome.

I'd have to say just keep practicing in a confined area( like a garage or driveway) in finding neutral. Just like everything else- it takes time to get used to new things.
Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
my uncles bike is like that with the dam neutral thing. it really sux at a toll or really long red light. i would like to see a permanent offical reason why this happens. keep me informed please as i will do you if i find a cure for this PITA problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. First thing tomorrow it's a drain and refill (32 oz on the nose) and then we'll try the rev and tap approach. I appreciate knowing that this isn't something extraordinary. It's really a lot of bike for a newby and I need to get this solved. I'm not much of a wrench but I'm the only one she has! Hooah! Mark

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Have you checked...

the primary oil level and clutch adjustment?

Both can make netural difficult to find, though it's often more difficult on a new bike it shouldn't be "impossible". The fact that there's no problem when the engine's not running makes me suspect it could be one or both of the above.

Cheers

Mike

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Does it go into neutral easier when you are rolling to a stop, this has worked for me, gears are spinning when the bike is in motion. Try synthetic oil also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts