V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new sportster 1200 custom today. Silver and Black anniversity model. First time I rode a harley, sure rides nice. Took me a little while to get use to how it handled and I about got whip lash when I gave it the gas a couple of time. It's not like the old Honda 305 Superhawk I had over 30 years ago. Have not rode anything for 30 years until I took the MSF course last weekend. I see now why you guys like the harley so much. I plan on driving it to work tommorow and it is supose to get down to 30 degrees tonight. Dont know if these old bones can take it, but I will have a smile on my face. Good driving to you all

Richard

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad you got your Sportster! Have fun... I got my bike in November too and rode it all winter long... short rides, but in 15 deg weather- now thats a little cold. =) Welcome to the sportster family!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Congradulations man!! Ride warm and safe. Warm weather is just 4 or 5 months away!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I grew up around Hondas my dad had a Honda shop and I drove S-90's
CB/CL 160's CB/CL 175;s CB/CL 305's CB/CL 350's CB 750's many dirt bikes, YAMAHAS,SUZUKIS,HODAKAS,ECT... and I got my 1st Harley (XL 1200 C) in march and I love it... I'm 50. NO BIKR COMPARES TO THE SPORTY.. HAVE FUN AND KEEP THE SHINEY SIDE UP.

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kags, about a 30 minute drive. My first day yesterday was super cold and being my first day to ride to work I was overly cautious. Today was a little warmer and I was more confortable with the ride. Got my first 50 miles out of the way. Rode home yesterday with a buddy of mine who has a heritage and works at the stealer. His heritage was a supper fine bike he just had his 1,000 check yesterday. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Sporty puts out enough "juice" from its little alt. to power my Gerbing electric jacket liner and gloves; at least I can keep my hands and torso warm. Bike will not handle full suit(socks and trouser liner...total 177 watts) and fire the plugs, too! Still with the small windshield, heavy BMW riding trousers, wool socks etc its not to bad down to about mid 30s. After that I swithch to my Yamaha FJR 1300: full electric "zoot suit" and good wind protection. But when ya just gotta ride a Sporty....sure beats no heat at all! DFO

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Designeraccd, where are you from in Indiana I was born and raised in Anderson but have lived in NC for most of my life. Still have family back there but would not moved back in a minute I remember all the snow and bone chilling cold. Love it here beach and mountains and mild winters. Interesting how in prepare for the cold weather will look into it. Thanks

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts