V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put twisted chrome spokes on my front wheel. Two alternatives are to buy the spokes and a chrome hub put on my stock rim (since my hub is not chrome) or buy a new chrome twisted wire wheel. Ebay has twisted complete chrome wire wheels with chrome hubs and spokes for around $150. New chrome hub and chrome twisted spokes cost around $220 plus I would have to put it together myself. I called a dealer and they said the Chrome Wheels on Ebay for that price are junk. They said I would be better off buying the spokes and hub from Drag and assembling on stock rim. Are those ebay $150 wheels junk compared to the stock rim? or is the dealer talking out of his ass.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I've built and repaired many bicycle wheels. I've seen the exact same problems as on some wire spoked motorcycle wheels, but the concequences for an incorrectly built wheel are (obviously) MUCH greater when on a heavy motorcycle. A previous thread on this forum showed a radial laced wheel mounted on the rear of a bike that came apart from the torque. It is just the wrong thing to do to put a radial laced wheel on the rear. I won't even do that on a bicycle wheel.

The dealer has sound advice. I would not trust buying something a wire spoked wheel from an unknown wheelbuilder on EBay. There are just too many mistakes to be made by an inexperienced wheelbuilder.

A front wheel is much simpler to build (and more structurally sound) than a rear. Still, though, since its on a heavy motorcycle, I think it'd be best left to a wheelbuilder with good references that you can trust. You will be trusting that wheel with your life.

thrasher

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that same thing. I think I will go with new twisted chrome spokes on stock rim and hub. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I lace a lot of H-D wheels Chris. I will not lace a wheel using inexpensive (cheap) spokes. I recommend using Buchanans or Landmark brand spokes, (Buchanans as a first choice). I also agree that the factory rim and hub is the best parts to lace too. As a side note, Buchanans also supplies me with spokes for antique Packard automobile wheels that I lace.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buchanan's are good spokes. I have also looked at these wheels on eBay. But like Thrasher said. They are an unknown wheel builder or they could just be buying old out of date wheels from some other manufacture, or importing wheels from china/Japan. It is up to you in the end but re-lacing your stock loop and hub is your best bet for the money. A quality wire wheel should start around 750 bucks not 150, just my two pennies. good luck, and post pictures if you go with the twisted spokes, I would like to see how it comes out.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts