V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really enjoying my 2006 Road Glide purchased December 31, 2005 and have been considering upgrading exhaust and adding SE stage-1 kit at my 1000 mile service. I would like a slip on exhuast that has mellow sound. I can't decide whether to go with SE slip ons or Vance & Hines Oval slip-ons. I would appreciate some input from your experiences. This is a great forum!
:confused:

·
IronButt
55 Posts
After thinking about it all winter, I had it narrowed down to either a V&H Pro-Pipe or a set of modified OEM (slip on) mufflers. In the end I decided to try the least expensive route first, and went with a pair of B&E modified mufflers, similar to the Fullsac modification.
I put them on this morning, and couldn't be happier! The sound is just right, louder than stock, but not so loud that it will piss the neighbors off.
I heard a Pro-Pipe on another bike, and it, too, sounded great. It's a good performer from what I've read here, but about twice the price of the slip ons.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just put Cycle Shack slip-ons on my 2001 Superglide and they sound great. Sort of a deep rumble that Harleys of old made. :thumbsup:
Can't beat the price either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
raig said:
I just put Cycle Shack slip-ons on my 2001 Superglide and they sound great. Sort of a deep rumble that Harleys of old made. :thumbsup:
Can't beat the price either.
I am smiling with you raig, you did good...keep them! because they might be gone soon? I have a set myself for my 2006 FXST and its just for future...I am running Cobra 3 1/2 true duels now! and like the sound and performance of the Shacks, But the pipes I have Rumble and sound Great!

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 05 EG Classic and have had Samson Rolled thunders and now V&H ovals. My brother has an 05 with SE slip-ons. Here's my take, Samsons are the loudest, I liked them with the stock headers but when I put on dual headers they seemed to have a hollow sound to them, plus they seemed to get louder with the dual headers. The ovals have a nice deep sound, not overly loud, I can hear the radio at less then 50% on the highway, with the Samsons I had to turn it up just about all the way.

The SE's my brother have sound very similiar to the ovals and are about the same volume. HD will not be selling non street legal pipes after May, so if you want the SE's get them soon.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Harley Glide said:
I can't decide whether to go with SE slip ons or Vance & Hines Oval slip-ons. I would appreciate some input from your experiences.
I had the SE 1-piece slip-ons. I think most people get the SE pipes that you add a separate end cap. Anyway my SE's were decent. They weren't overly loud but they had a nice rumble. I recently changed over to V&H Ovals along with V&H true duals. They are louder than the SE's but not a lot louder. The V&H's also have a deeper sound than the SE's. In my opinion either is a good choice.

eddie

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I installed the V&H Oval Slip-ons (along with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC and a V&H Fuel Pak) on my 05 Ultra. Really like the looks, sound and power increase. All three items were easy to install; 1 1/2 hour total. Obviously, my suggestion.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had the SE Performance slip-ons installed along with the stage 1 AC kit. I am enjoying the increased exhaust note which is mellow in sound with my stock v-twin.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Vance & Hines Oval Slip-ons

Harley Glide said:
I am really enjoying my 2006 Road Glide purchased December 31, 2005 and have been considering upgrading exhaust and adding SE stage-1 kit at my 1000 mile service. I would like a slip on exhuast that has mellow sound. I can't decide whether to go with SE slip ons or Vance & Hines Oval slip-ons. I would appreciate some input from your experiences. This is a great forum!

I have a 2006 Road King which I picked up in March 06, I put the V&H Ovals Slip-ons, w/SE Air Cleaner and the PCIII w/latest firmware upgrade on. Let me tell you the bike runs great, sounds great with that deep rumble. The dealer even commented on how well it ran when it was in for the 1000 mile service.

Good luck in your search:beer: :beer:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
This put me over the edge. Been trying to decide which pipes to put on my fat boy since 03. I cant make up my mind still.:hmmm: So for right now I just decided to get the cycle shacks until I stop being picky. Whats the best site to use or does any one know if Chicago HD carries them? I just put a list together to order and 20% off the pipes wouldnt hurt....Thanks
JTS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts