V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
geezer glides are cool
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Harley Davidson Race Tuner #32107-01D
How does the copy protection work? No, I'm not planning on doing anything illegal. I just want to know what I'm allowed to do.

Question 1
I know that its license is tied to the VIN and thus tied to the bike. If I give the CD to Hal's Speed shop for them to perform the dyno tune, when they return the disk and a copy of my new MAP, can I install the software on my laptop at home? Or is it tied to their computer?

Question 2
Has anyone burned disk copies, again not for any nefarious purpose, just to have a backup?

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
#1. The "protection" is not in the software, it's in the dongle - the device that connects your computer to your motorcycle. The device mates to your ECM the first time you use it. It doesn't care what computer you use it with after it is mated, only that it is connected to the ECM that it began with. The question about the legality of giving the software to Hall's really depends on the license agreement, but as long as they only use it with your dongle to program your motorcycle, I suspect it will be alright.
#2. I have an older version that I made a backup copy of, and it works fine. I don't know if the newer versions are protected or not.

·
geezer glides are cool
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fourstar said:
... The device mates to your ECM the first time you use it. It doesn't care what computer you use it with after it is mated, only that it is connected to the ECM that it began with....
Ah ha. Very familiar with the "dongle" concept. Just like a software key that connects to your serial port that was popular in the '90s.

So all I do is hand them the serial to ECM interface. They already have a PC in their dyno room that has the software installed. I just have make sure that when they hand a copy of my new MAP (and my interface cable) that my version is compatible with their file format.

Thanks.

·
geezer glides are cool
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it yesterday. Works great. I've already played with the telemetry recording feature. I'm going to try to record my pre-ignition issue this weekend. Just plop the laptop in the tourpack and off I go:brows:

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Just a bit of trivia. The dongle does not mate until you upload a map into the ECU and you can look at telemetry data on any number of bikes, just can't program them.

·
geezer glides are cool
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bbrowncods said:
Just a bit of trivia. The dongle does not mate until you upload a map into the ECU and you can look at telemetry data on any number of bikes, just can't program them.
I just figured that out tonite. Did my first upload. I see what you mean. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts