V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finely made it home to pick up my new SE Ultra. It has been sitting at the dealer for almost 3 weeks with no deposit. Lucky for me I bought a few bikes from them, so they didn’t make it an issue.

WOW what a bike, (well at $34,000 it should be.) Only problems I’ve found, is the bike cover don’t fit, and my son’s 1200 Nightster still beats me off the line.

Not sure what to do about the cover, it appears to me it was made for last year model with the smaller leather touring pack.

Now to solve the Nightster problem, what can I do to wake this baby up?

Attachments

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
jwg5010 said:
Only problems I’ve found, is the bike cover don’t fit, and my son’s 1200 Nightster still beats me off the line.

Not sure what to do about the cover, it appears to me it was made for last year model with the smaller leather touring pack.

I'd guess a regular Ultra cover would fit nicely.

While you can spend some bucks and wake up your beast a bit, I think you're likely to always get beaten in a drag race with a 1200 Sporty.
And congrats on your new SE Ultra!

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Congrats on your new CVO Ultra.

We have one on order for delivery in about 2-3 weeks. Wife and I are excited, but very concerned about the heat and cylinder head issues. It is unfortunate to have to think about pipes and a tune after spending so much money. How is yours doing on the heat issues?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Upstate SC, where the temps are still hovering in the mid to upper 90' daily. The SE does get hot, but no more then my '06 Ultra Classic did.

My main concern now is sort of a clatter at speed. At first I thought it was coming from the engine, but after a few more miles, I think it might be coming from the transmission.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
jwg5010 said:
Finely made it home to pick up my new SE Ultra. It has been sitting at the dealer for almost 3 weeks with no deposit. Lucky for me I bought a few bikes from them, so they didn’t make it an issue.

WOW what a bike, (well at $34,000 it should be.) Only problems I’ve found, is the bike cover don’t fit, and my son’s 1200 Nightster still beats me off the line.

Get hold of GMR, they'll set you up.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
jwg5010 said:
I live in Upstate SC, where the temps are still hovering in the mid to upper 90' daily. The SE does get hot, but no more then my '06 Ultra Classic did.

My main concern now is sort of a clatter at speed. At first I thought it was coming from the engine, but after a few more miles, I think it might be coming from the transmission.
You might consider changing your transmission oil to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90, 75w-110 or 75w-140 or Mobil 1 gear lube or Redline gear lube. Many folks have had great success in lowering transmission noise and improving shifting with these products. All are warranty compatible....don't let your dealer tell you otherwise.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took The SE back to the dealer today, at first they said the clatter was most likely the transmission. But after a short test drive the tech said leave her here, that's something internal in the engine. :crying: What a bummer.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
jwg5010 said:
Took The SE back to the dealer today, at first they said the clatter was most likely the transmission. But after a short test drive the tech said leave her here, that's something internal in the engine. :crying: What a bummer.
Please keep us posted, sorry to hear about your situation and hope they fix it quickly for you. {salute(

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Got my bike back the other day, with nothing done to it. Here’s what the dealer said:

Yes, it’s exsesivly noisy, but ride it, if it fails, it’s under warranty, don’t worry about it. They also commented they contacted the MoCo regarding the problem, with no response.

So I’m riding it, if anything the knock is getting louder and more pronounced. Seems to me it’s coming from the top of the front cylinder in the 2500 to 3000 RPM range.​

Attachments

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
Sounds messed up to me, the way the dealer knows there's something wrong and they're not fixing it. Is there such a thing as a lemon law on motorcycles?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You make sure that it is documented and tell this dealer that if the engine siezes and someone gets hurt, you have instructions left to go after them. I bet that they will fix it.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
route66paul said:
You make sure that it is documented and tell this dealer that if the engine siezes and someone gets hurt, you have instructions left to go after them. I bet that they will fix it.
I'll second Paul's comment. I'd take it to another dealer.

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Dealer?

I too live in upstate SC, wondering which dealer.

·
Registered
729 Posts
jwg5010 said:
Got my bike back the other day, with nothing done to it. Here’s what the dealer said:

Yes, it’s exsesivly noisy, but ride it, if it fails, it’s under warranty, don’t worry about it. They also commented they contacted the MoCo regarding the problem, with no response.

So I’m riding it, if anything the knock is getting louder and more pronounced. Seems to me it’s coming from the top of the front cylinder in the 2500 to 3000 RPM range.​

Little known federal law that once you complain and its documented about a vehicle problem in the warrany period, then as long as that problem is there and even if it fails after the normal warranty, then it is still has to be corrected at the company's expense as long as you do not modify the vehicle in a way that may cause the failure (ie after market engine work, etc)

Maintain all service records in the meantime and I would suggest getting a second opinion from another dealer.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CHIPMAKER said:
I too live in upstate SC, wondering which dealer.
Timms in Anderson,

I'm going to another Doc, for a second opinion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just picked up my 2008 SE Ultra also. It does run hot but nothing outrageous. I'm installing an oil temp gauge soon. I had to take my cover to a seamstress to open up the section a few inches for the antennas plus it doesn't reach the ground..sort of like a pair of high water pants. The tranny whines in 5th gear. I'm impressed with the motor's torque but then it is 110".

Attachments

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
rmmccon said:
I just picked up my 2008 SE Ultra also. It does run hot but nothing outrageous. I'm installing an oil temp gauge soon. I had to take my cover to a seamstress to open up the section a few inches for the antennas plus it doesn't reach the ground..sort of like a pair of high water pants. The tranny whines in 5th gear. I'm an impressed the motor's torque but then it is 110".
I see you over on the CVO board too...glad to see you're enjoying it. I hoping I can pick mine up this weekend ...

·
Registered
200 Posts
deucedog said:
I see you over on the CVO board too...glad to see you're enjoying it. I hoping I can pick mine up this weekend ...
What color did you get?

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
rmmccon said:
What color did you get?
105th Anniversary - shipped today, received the VIN, hoping it gets to the left coast by Saturday...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
jwg5010 said:

Its the rocker arm/spring hitting the rocker box. Its a known issue. When they replaced the cylinders on my buddy's '07 SE Ultra, they ground our some of the inside of the rocker lid where the rocker arm/spring was hitting it. Quieted down the top end 80%.

Has your rear cylinder started leaking oil yet?

Moco is having fits with the 110" in the bagger.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts