V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2003 Road King Classic the other day. Gunmetal Pearl with detachable backrest and luggage rack. Haven't owned a bike in 25 years, but decided to take the plunge now that the kids are gone. I was a little nervous the first 10 miles or so, but this bike drives great. Never owned a bike this big, let alone a Harley! Looking forward to visiting with everybody on this great forum. :D :D :D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Congrats wildcat, you'll enjoy it I'm sure. Post a few pics..........

·
Registered
885 Posts
Good Luck & Congrats!

Just a suggestion...You may want to take a safety course given your long down time. Its well worth the 150-200 bucks the beginners course typically runs. There is a thread running now in HD general discussion about just this topic...check it out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wildcat,....I just picked up my 2003 Gunmetal Road King 10 minutes ago and talk about nervous. I too haven't ridden in 25 years. As we were filling out the paperwork, it started to rain and I was bummed. We were finished and he pulled the bike to the front door and I could hardly stand, my kness were weak. He offered to hold the bike overnight given the rain but I figured there was no option but to dive right in. I was so amazed how easy the bike was to ride. As i rode away from the dealer, the rains stopped and the clouds parted like a miracle!! It was meant to be. I got the bike in the garage and the rains started again...or obviously I would be out riding and not on-line. Good luck with your King be safe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
BigDogR said:
Good Luck & Congrats!

Just a suggestion...You may want to take a safety course given your long down time. Its well worth the 150-200 bucks the beginners course typically runs.
Congradulations on the new bike. I seriously considered a Road King before choosing an ElectraGlide Classic. I would like both, but can't be greedy.

Take the MSF beginners course. Check the price for your local area. Here in Ohio it is free for under 18 and $25 for everyone else. It includes everything but gloves and boots. For that price I am taking it for a second time in April and will take the advance course in the summer. (You need your own bike for the advance course.)

Have fun.

Philip

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Congrats on the new scooter. I just picked one up myself and love it. Enjoy it and ride safe...

Tony:cool:

·
ijustwannaridemy03rkc
313 Posts
philipk said:

... Here in Ohio it is free for under 18 and $25 for everyone else. ...
Have fun.

Philip
Unbelievable. I took the course last fall here in f*ckyouchusetts and it was $250. :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
jnajp said:

Unbelievable. I took the course last fall here in f*ckyouchusetts and it was $250. :mad:
I feel your pain!

Though MA and NY have great scenery, I have turned down jobs in both states due to their liberal state government.

Sad, MA is where freedom began and they are one of the first states to take it away.

Philip

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Enjoy the new bike. I just picked up my first Harley, a 2002 Road King, but have to wait until spring hits here in NY to ride. I'd settle for a ride in the rain over the snow and temperatures we've had any day. Have fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trying to post a picture for the first time. Hope it works. Hurry up Spring!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
"Looking forward to visiting with everybody on this great forum."

We're having an HD forum ride on March 9. You are certainly wellcome!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The truck is my son's project that he just finished. It's a 48 Ford F1, Flathead 6. He wouldn't take any pictures unless his truck was in it. It's all original (except the color). Now all my pals want to know when I'm going to get my pipes and a Stage 1. For now, I like the quiet tone of the stock pipes, and the bike has plenty of power to suit me. Maybe I'll feel different after I've ridden it a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
659 Posts
congrats on the ride - great choice (still waiting for mine to come in).
Ride safe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
wildcat said:
Picked up my 2003 Road King Classic the other day. Gunmetal Pearl with detachable backrest and luggage rack. Haven't owned a bike in 25 years, but decided to take the plunge now that the kids are gone. I was a little nervous the first 10 miles or so, but this bike drives great. Never owned a bike this big, let alone a Harley! Looking forward to visiting with everybody on this great forum. :D :D :D
Beautiful Motorcycle and quite some change from a Honda 50. I'll bet!

25 years is a long time away from the saddle. Please get a refresher on the rules, and practice!

Be Safe!
Chaz

·
Registered
432 Posts
new road king

Congrads on your new ride!!!!

I have the same bike on order and should have it the end of May! (If I don't die of anticipation.)

Take a MSF course as soon as you can, It will save your butt. These big bike don't stop or handle like a sport bike ! Any saftey help is a great help out in the real world!!
Steve L.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just took delivery on the same bike(gunmetal) this past Monday. Love it (although haven't ridden it yet as the weather in the North East has been hideous!
I also went with the same backrest with the luggage rack, which comes on an off in about 1 minute in case you haven't tried yet. Also went with the V&H slip-ons with the new turn down tips (check their website for a picture) Look and sound great. You might want to look into the chrome passenger floorboard covers with the RK logo, really make a huge difference..not that expensive either
Best of luck with it
Croozer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.