V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new RK 2 weeks ago. I put a quick 1000 miles on her so I could get the first service done before Daytona. The question I have do most dealers charge for this service? Should I have negotiated this up front? My buddy bought his Fat Boy from another dealer in town. They gave him his first service for free.

Thanks
CB

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Cody Bush said:
Just got my new RK 2 weeks ago. I put a quick 1000 miles on her so I could get the first service done before Daytona. The question I have do most dealers charge for this service? Should I have negotiated this up front? My buddy bought his Fat Boy from another dealer in town. They gave him his first service for free.

I have a question for your buddy: how much OVER msrp did he pay for his F/B? There are a lot of dealers out there with "free" services, but you are in essence prepaying for them when you pay over msrp at the dealer. Yes, dealers charge for the service. The cost of a service will depend upon the hourly rate in your area. Q: when was the last time you got something for nothing? Not trying to be smart, just trying to get you to think about what probably happened with your buddy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Free????......... The word Free, honest, trustworthy,courteous, etc. etc. will never be found in the Harley Handbook for How to treat a Customer.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
You will be charged an exorbitant price for this service, and leave with no assurance that any of the checked items was done properly, Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
service

Boy you guys sure make the dealers sound bad. Do most people find a local bike shop to do services and tune-ups, instead of the dealer? I found that's it's usually about half the cost with my car if i use my local shop instead of the dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Contrary to what some guys may tell you, not ALL dealers are bad. But there are some out there who give the others a very bad reputation.

As for private shop v. dealership for service, that decision is just like with your car. You know up front that the dealership is going to be more expensive. But you expect the mechanics to be better trained and have more experience. IMHO, I'd stick with the dealer for the first few services and during the initial warranty period. Is that required? No. It just makes me feel more comfortable. Do some independent shops have good mechanics? Of course. Ask some buds who they use for service and you'll probably get some good recommendations.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don B amd Ron B,

Maybe you guys should use other dealerships, or even ride another bike if that's how you feel.

I won't bother with a dealership that treats me like crap -- it's up to you.

There are several in my area, the Bay Area Nor Cal, that treat their customers very well. They are honest and up front. A pleasure to do business with...

A 1,000 mile service also $285 at these places.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
With a few exceptions, I don't really think the problem is the dealer but the particular person that works on your bike. Once the bike goes into someones work area there is no one that can tell what was done or not, other then the most basic and obvious things.
A few smaller dealers pay their wrenches a salary, even if it is by the hour. Most pay flat rate and it is to the wrenches financial advantage to get done in the shortest amount of time possible. Then you have service management and consultants that often don't even ride a bike and are hired more for their PR abilities and looks then for their knowledge. Pretty soon no one knows what's going on.

It's not that they are actively dishonest, just negligent to varying degrees. Most dealer principals look at service as the crazy aunt in the basement, and all they want is not to hear about it. Like a mechanical "don't ask, don't tell" policy. It's just a microcosm of the ethical values society lives in these days, layer upon layer of bullshit, and anyone that speaks the truth is labeled as politically incorrect and becomes history.

Independents are often ethically much better simply because their business depends on it, but when it comes to the electronics on the new bikes they are hopelessly outclassed by a lack of up to date technical information and proprietary equipment.

All you can do is learn how to do things yourself and hope you never need them, or ride an older bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don B and RonB,

Not only are your names close, your profiles are indentical. Are you trying to spread disinformation?

This is quite common on the stock boards, trying to manipulate the price (and illegal -- keeps the SEC in biz). But here, your just stirrin' the pot...

Nice try, now go back to the MOPED board.

Mitch

·
Registered
133 Posts
Chisil, My intentions were to keep a newcomer from being charged hundred of dollars for an oil change.
Don B and I are not connected in any way, other then obviously being ill treated at service departments over the years, I am glad to hear that your dealership is outstanding, the ones I have access to are not, and as Hippo and Pasedena Jim so eloquently pointed out the problem is somewhat widespread. You mentioned Stock message boards, I am guessing based on your remarks that your area of expertise probably lies within that arena.
How many Harleys have you owned, and how many times have you needed major warranty work done on them. If you have indeed a better Harley background then I perhaps you have earned the right to stand in judgemet of my remarks, Ill certainly update my profile just as soon as you complete yours.
Ron B

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ron B,

My background is not in stocks (other than losing some money - lol), nor is it in Harley's. This is my first H-D. I do not have the experience with dealerships you mention.

My experience is limited, although it has all been very pleasant and professional.

I think I just jumped the gun, and thought you were just here to bash H-D. My mistake. I apologize...

Mitch

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mitch,
Thanks for the response, after looking back I can see that I didn't convey that my remarks were based on past history and not meant to stir the cauldron, Posting on message boards is not an exact science. Ride safe Ron

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not here to do any bashing either. I have had some bad deals by dealers, I will not go into the boring details, but as it stands now, I don't trust any of them when it comes to working on my bike. Hippo explained it pretty good.

If you like spending a couple of hundred bucks to have your oil changed, that's ok with me. If you think they are doing everything in the checklist for the service, your living in a fantasy world.

If you want to see just how good your dealer is, the next time you go there, buy a service manual and tell them you are going to do all your services yourself from now on. I'll bet that their attitudes will change if they think you are not going to be spending the big bucks with the service dept. anymore, I will also bet that they will be quick to point out that if this and that is not done it will not be covered under warranty etc.

I'll also note, it is not the money, I can afford to have someone do the services. It's just that I expect to have done what I'm paying for and that is just not the case at any of the dealers in this area.

Too many first time buyers are duped into the "Family" bullshit, that they cannot see the real deal.

I'm sure there are some honest dealers out there, but I haven't found one of them yet.

Don Blue
[email protected]
Unionville, Virginia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great Service

Just wanted to let everyone know. I talked to the dealer before picking up my bike after the first service. They went ahead and gave me the first service for free. I guess it never hurts to ask. It would have costed $280.

CB

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had I not read on a Triumph forum that US cousins pay for the first service I would have been baffled buy this thread. In the UK all bikes receive a "free" service were you only have to pay for the oil.

In the UK the Harley D first service is free including oils. This of course could be reflected in the price of the bikes, I'll let you know when I have mine 15 days and counting and with a bit of luck no snow then :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
"Free Service"

Cody Bush...I must humbly and respectfully disagree that you did, indeed, get a "Free" service.....IF you paid anything over MSRP, you did not get a free service.....like someone said earlier, there is no such thing in life as free.....you ARE paying for it one way or another.

Whomever it was that confronted RonB, I can say without ANY doubt that he is a standup guy...I know RonB, and he is a gentleman, and doesn't give out any B.S.....

My advice to ANYONE getting a bike, and I'm ASSUMING here that I'm talking to those that are halfway mechanically inclined, and have pride in their work, AND want to know that what they sit their ass on is SAFE and CORRECT, they they would be WAAAAYYYYY ahead to buy the hot damn SHOP MANUAL and do it yourself.....They cost ONLY $52-$56, and you pay for the damn thing the very first time you do your first service....when you figure dealers charge $50-$55/hour labor, the book is a real CHEAP investment, and you'd be surprised how EASY and self-satisfying it is to do your OWN work. I KNOW, I KNOW, some either don't have the time or the tools or know-how, I understand this, but you are spending WAAAAYYY too much for something, like others said, that you will never really know FOR SURE whether ALL the work has been done that you paid for or not!!:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can a person do all of the services, and not void the warranty? I bought some extra warranty time, and would like to do the servicing myself, but don't want to risk the warranty.

The dealers seem kinda fuzzy when asked about this stuff. Almost like when asking them about installing a Power Commander. A lot of verbage, but no clear response.

I don't know where I got the idea that I need to bring the thing in every 5,000 miles to keep the warranty up...is this true?

Does anyone know if installing a Power Commander will void the warranty? I am going to get the SE air cleaner, install slip-ons and have them re-flash the ECU to minimize any warranty hassle. Then, on top of that, I will add a PCIIIr with a PC map.

Any input appreciated...

Mitch
'02 FLHTCI

1 - 20 of 20 Posts