V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem. New road king is running fine, until about 1500 miles and it blows the accessory (speedo, brake light, horn, blinkers) fuse. Can't get into have it looked at until June 19th.:mad: Have replaced the fuse and it continues to blow. The only thing I have done to the bike is put some docking kits on the rear fender so the old lady could have a backrest. Anybody out there had the same problem? Any suggestions on how to start troubleshooting this problem myself? Would like to fix this before June.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by bigmike
Here's the problem. New road king is running fine, until about 1500 miles and it blows the accessory (speedo, brake light, horn, blinkers) fuse. Can't get into have it looked at until June 19th.:mad: Have replaced the fuse and it continues to blow. The only thing I have done to the bike is put some docking kits on the rear fender so the old lady could have a backrest. Anybody out there had the same problem? Any suggestions on how to start troubleshooting this problem myself? Would like to fix this before June.

Generally speaking whatever you did last is the area you should look into - you may have pinched the wiring harness under the rear fender when you did the docking kit - lift the seat and find the connector that goes to the rear, disconnect it and see if you still blow a fuse. If you do there is the problem. If you have a fender tip light on the front, can't remember if RK's have them CRS, there is a recall/service bullitin out about poorly mounted retaining clips under the front fender which allows the harness to rub and short - disconnect the harness to the front fender light and see if the short goes away.

The fuse blows cause there is a short - they don't get old and wear out, so just replacing it will do no good.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
For the hell of it, pull the speed sensor and check it out. I am saying that only because tou mentioned the lights AND the speedo screw up. I thought the fuse for the lights and brakes were seperate from the speedo. Not sure though so give the sensor a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts