V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally picked up my Ultra last Monday in Yuma, nice. Got it registered and a plate the same day, doesn’t happen that way in California, so this was cool. I drove out to the Phoenix area and met Hippo. Thanks for everything Hippo!! Went to Bikenite with him and met some good people. The only problem I had with the bike was that it stalled at the stop light and after thumbing the turn signal switch a couple of times…I found the starter button and took off. Embarrassing, but WTF. I drove it back to San Diego on one of the windiest days possible. I got blown around in a couple of dust storms and the bike was covered from wheel to wheel with dust and dead bugs. If I’d a known how much work it was to clean…

Took the wife out on Sunday for a 200 miler and the damned hell toe shifter fell off. It wasn’t a problem, except for the guy on the Hyabusa that stopped to help, I’m sure he’s telling his buddies about the Harley broke down on the side of the road. Fixed it in a couple of minutes and we were back on the road in no time.

I took the bike in today for it’s 1000 mile service and got it done for $233. Now all I want is pipes and the freer breathing air cleaner and I can stop spending money, right. I’ve got some pics and I’ll post em as so as I get off my lazy ass.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Congrats, Ultra. ;) You'll love the bike.

As for the heal shift problem, depending upon the year of the bike, some riders have given up on the heel shift because of problems with it. Falling off is a bit unusual, stripping is not!

You'll be able to ride nearly year round down there in San Diego. Enjoy it.

Look forward to seeing ya' in Laughlin!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Dave, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Real easy people to have a interesting conversation with.

I told you "they all do it" (this qualifies me for a job at a Harley dealer). If you read MikeM posts with the new FLTRI he has the same thing. You should be used to it by now.

Might as well take the shift levers off again and remount them with a wagon load of red Loctite or it will happen again.
Both of them will eventually strip if you don't take this precaution, but they will hold forever if Loctited when new

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Congrats on the new scooter,Dave! ENJOY!!!!

It's nice to know somebody's riding.Been snowing here since mid-afternoon (it's now 1:30 a.m.) and it just plain sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
guido

·
Registered
272 Posts
I drilled and tapped a hole in the top of my shift lever and put a set screw in it. It helps, but the damn thing still comes loose. I need to take it off and put even more loctite on the thing, but the set screw helps. I ended up welding Jimmy K's on, his stripped beyond help.
Other than that kinda stupid stuff, I love my Ultra, and Hippo is a good man to share a lane with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ultra,

Mighty fine these new FL's. I picked mine up a couple of days ago too. Couple of complications (EFI or mapping issue causing a miss at low rpms), but as long as the dealer takes care of it, I understand that **** happens. Other than that, the fit and finish, ride and drive--is outstanding.

Going to look into my shifter, for sure. Added the fancy billet one---hate to have a $180 piece of chrome (with 2 $30 pegs attached to it) bouncing down the highway.

Enjoy, if your travels bring you into Colorado sometime, look us up.

Mike M

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
and Hippo is a good man to share a lane with.

No matter how far we lean the sumbitches over. That's a compliment coming from "BoomBoom" LOL

The things don't actually fall off unless the bolt comes out, they just strip and become unusable.

In case it is not clear, you not only Loctite the bolt, but you use it liberally on the splines of the shaft and lever themselves. I can't really tell you because I hate the heel shifters and is the first thing I remove, but from the experiences of others it would be reasonable to deduce that the lighter weight of the assembly without the heel shifter also goes a long way in preventing the problem.
The custom levers might be of a better quality material then the stock casting.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!! I'll try to endure the shitty weather here with 762-MM, we're really suffering. :D

Dave

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
SHIFT LEVERS!

Stupid ass design if I ever saw one.

Spline shaft HARD STEEL

Lever inside teeth somewhat softer

Bolt that clamps lever HARD STEEL

Threads inside lever to hold bolt soft.

Place that 3 piece hunk a crap in a high vibe area and guess what?

There is no purpose whatsoever for the shifter pegs to be seperate from the spline shaft. That whole unit should be one piece. Of course then you would be less likely to buy them fancy assed chrome doodads off the pegboard at The Harley Shop eh?

OH yea almost forgot. Congrats on the new scoot UHC! Locjtight the hell out of it while the teeth are good!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put Loctite on it this afternoon. The bottle said something like it would take a whole hell of a lot of force to remove it after it was dry. Good! I noticed some of the spline was already broken and falling off. You're right Jimmy, not the hardest piece of steel I've ever seen. It shouldn't go anywhere now. :D

Dave

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Back in the world eh?

Good to see you back in "the" world with a set of new wheels. Must be awfully hard to adjust to the nice, dry weather.

Enjoy that scooter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts