V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl friend decided she would like to ride some on the back. But she is somewhat scared though. She has rode with some people in the past that tried to scare her. What is the best way to let her get to riding again. She says a parking lot but i don't really like that idea. my idea was to go out to the country and cruise back roads. I would appreciate any help.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
If she's been scared before by others, then getting her on and going down road will be difficult. First 2 people I ever rode with were IDIOTS and scared the piss out of me. It took me quite a few years before I rode on back with anyone.

The time and patience you take in getting girlfriend to ride with you will be well worth it, believe me. Why not just start with parking lot like she wants? Let her see you're not some crazy speed freak. Once she sees how your ride and react in a parking lot, then try to move her onto the back roads. Or if you live in subdivision like a lot of folks, start there instead of parking lot.

My wife rides with me some and I would never do anything to scare her just to be 'funny'. On first long trip we took(400+ miles), we had stock seat and she was miserable. The last 200, I was stopping about every 30-40 miles to let her rest her butt and legs. She kept apologizing about not being able to ride as long and making me take so long getting home. I told her not to worry about it that I would prefer having to stop more often with her than riding by myself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with if the parking lot is where she wants to start then please do so. I am a passenger and I know what is scary. We feel like we have no control of the bike, and we really don't, and it scares me alot. The country roads are nice to but they can be scary also. The subdivision was an excellent idea. I love riding with my husband so much and I am glad he doesn't do anything to scare me because I would hate not to ride anymore. If she complains about the seat, listen to her. They are not the most comfortable for us passengers. There is nothing worse than going riding for the day and have to pull over every hour because my butt is sore.:p

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess we will go try a parking lot. I can understand the feeling of having no control, I really hate to even ride in a car with anyone. I just figured that the back roads were a better choice because of a higher speed, 35mph to45mph, that the ride would be smoother and less stressful for her. But if you all agree the parking lot is the way to go. I have no real problem with that. I think she would enjoy riding, but I have been very careful not to push her into riding. she is the one that is finally asking to ride, so hopefully she will like it and have fun.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
My wife had the same fear when she first started riding with me. The only problem with the parking lot idea is that it is low speed and much more difficult to handle the bike smoothly with a passenger. I did the back road thing but just did short loops at first. Two or three miles at first, then ten to fifteen, etc. I tried to find roads with little traffic and great scenery. Be sure to ask her often if she is comfortable or afraid. If she is either, take a break, have some water, walk around, then move on. Just proceed slowly until she's comfortable. If the seat is not right for her get another ASAP. Just stay tuned to her feelings, it will work out. I can hardly get on my bike without my wife now. Life is good, ride safe.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't know that I want a passenger that is not at ease on the bike. Even if you eventually get them to relax some there is no telling what they will do in an emergency and can become a huge liability.

Trust me, it happens. Not too long ago a young lady started riding with me and it took several trips for her to become a halfway decent passenger. One afternoon we happened on a fresh accident scene with some casualties. Even though we were not involved in any way and stopped without risk, she never said a thing but was so out of control that the bike became unridable. Never got on the bike again.

Nothing like a tough old biker b...abe to ride with.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well this evening we decided to go out to the country. She followed me in my truck out to a pretty remote spot in the county. After that she was pretty relaxed and we left the truck and went and cruised the back roads for about an hour. After a couple of miles she was fine. She even let me have a breath every 5 miles or so. No really she did fine after the first mile or so. We even got sand blasted by some dump truck. All night she has been talking about how much fun it was and telling her friends. So I think there is a new addict in the making.

Also i was amazed at how well the Heritage handeled with 2 on it. Especially considering my size. I am not exactly danty. Power and accleration hardly felt any different. Bumps were a little harder, but cornering wasn't badly effected at all. I guess i really expected the ride to be rough but it was very good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My two bits...make sure they're comfortbale and don't push the envelope. Tired ass and legs make for a lot of wiggle back there...stop for breaks...my Redhead is a BB deluxe...fearless....trusts me 100%....and does't complain ever. Long as I stop for rest and keep her watered, no problem. But that unexpected wiggle, moving around back there is not a good thing. And talk to them about how you want them to act/ride.....new riders would rather know from you...because they want to do the right thing....guarantee it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All the ideas already posted sound good, and you have already gotten her to ride, so life is good. Just thought I would throw my two cents in. My approach, saw my dad use is first actually, was this:

Tell them a few things before they get on:
You get on and off when I signal/tell you to, no other time (not harsh, just don't unexpected weight change)
In a turn, look over my inside shoulder, don't try to overlean
Relax and enjoy!

When you are riding with them take turns slower (I tend to take back country ones one gear lower than by myself) and brake sooner and slower. I never realized until my gf started riding alot, that some of the stops with downshifting and braking are fine with handlebars, but for a passenger they will feel the deceleration more.

Glad your gf liked it, if she is like mine, now you will never get out of the garage alone unless she is out of town or asleep. But riding is better that way.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You had some good points ferret, I "brief" every new passanger before I give them a ride. 1. Is it o.k. with my OL. 2. Don't get on/off until I say so
3. Don't squirm around on the seat when we are going slow. 4 Keep your breasts tight against me.. whoops I think that I don't say aloud. 5 If we go down,get away from the bike, don't hold on to me. If that last one scares them away they didn't really want a ride anyway.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
And every rider wants to know, "where to look into a turn".

The answer (as per the AMA), look over the shoulder of the driver in the direction of the turn.

Hope that helps a little, everything else has been said,...

Oh, and don't forget to bring a blanket in case of some mid-field romps. Unless she is on top she proably won't want to get her butt dirty :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts