V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought an '06 Ultra Classic last night, after speaking with the parts and sales team we decided to have the SE StageII Kit and SE slip-ons installed before we take delivery. This is our first Harley and we are looking for some advice on do's and don'ts involved with upgrading this motor. We chose the upgrade for several reasons but the main two were riding two up and the extra torque for climbing the mountains in our area.

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
classic1550 said:
My wife and I bought an '06 Ultra Classic last night, after speaking with the parts and sales team we decided to have the SE StageII Kit and SE slip-ons installed before we take delivery. This is our first Harley and we are looking for some advice on do's and don'ts involved with upgrading this motor. We chose the upgrade for several reasons but the main two were riding two up and the extra torque for climbing the mountains in our area.
Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is, it would seem your wife is happy with the purchase of your new Harley. This is a very good thing. The bad news is, you are already well on your way to learning the do's and don'ts of performance mods. A "team" of salesmen? Hopefully your first lesson won't be to painfull. Congrats on your new Ultra.
RB

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
There are alot of threads here with info on engine mods, hundreds if not thousands. If you use the search function, you'll find numerous dicussions regarding the do's and dont's of motor mods. The SE stageII is not your best choice for these upgrades but especially at the price but, there are also warranty issues to consider and you should be sure to ask that dealer if your warranty will be voided once the work is performed. many dealers will still honor your warranty if they installed the upgrades for you but many other dealers may not since technically your warranty is voided by the upgrades. These are issues you need to familiarize yourself with before the wrenches start turning on that bike.
If it were me, I'd definately not let the "Sales Team" sell me an extended warranty, waste of money! Then, I'd get a 98" kit from GMR Performance, have heads ported by a good reliable porter, put in a set of andrews or woods gear cams install a V&H ProPipe get a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner(SERT) and have it dynoed by someone who knows what they are doing. You'll get way more torque and power than the dealer stage II and it will cost less and you and your wife will be very happy with the results. You will probably be dissapointed with the dealer build especially for the money.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
780 Posts
The heads on the 2006 flow better. They have a bigger exhaust port,1.570 compared to 1.340 so they will run a little cooler. Intake is also larger. Go with a Andrews 26G cams and big bore and you will be happy. plus ,aircleaner and pipes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Classic 1550, With what your doing the only other thing I would suggest are a set of andrews 26 geardrive cams. They are great for heavy bikes with good low end torque for two up riding. The gear drives will get rid of the poor quality cam chain tensioners and give you years of reliable service. Keep it simple and you will save money and enjoy riding. All the big bore kits are wasted unless you get into head porting and all the tuning. Good article in recent issue of American Iron explaining this. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
stage 1, stage 2, they are still lean. dont waste the money. buy a sert, thundermax, or equivilent and put on some freer flowing exhaus and air cleaner.keep your old parts, and reinstall if you need to take it in for warranty-----cant do it with sert, but you can certainly tune with it.
might i recommend a call to zippers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your New Scoot

Or you could just assume that HD knows how to build a pretty solid mo'orsikkle, and leave it as it comes.
Then you can ride for a few months, and having done so, you will know far better than any of us what you want to change or not. This happens because you will find (as we have) that other HD drivers (including you, never fear) LOVE to discuss their ride and it's mods and doodads. As you ride and encounter us along the way, you'll know from real people what works for them and why, and even more importantly what doesn't, and then you can decide what to do or not to your own ride.
There is so much stuff that you can do, add, paint or weld on, modify, rebuild or in some way alter (often at vast expense), you can render yourself comatose fairly quick with less than half the catalogs/websites available. I have always found that up close and personal interaction with other riders to be that best way for me to check out what can or should%[email protected] help me.
The Ultra is an outstanding piece of work just as it rolls out of the showroom (OK sounds kinda anemic), and I remind you that all those sales folk are on commission and that mods at time of sale are included.
Welcome to knees in the breeze, I'll watch for ya

·
Registered
16 Posts
that damn smiley

Sorry that thing is in there, I was fooling around, thinking I was not picking it and sent the post before I realized it was in there.
I have no problems with stirring the pot from time to time, this post was not intended to be that.

·
Huge Member
1,285 Posts
fatdruid said:
Sorry that thing is in there, I was fooling around, thinking I was not picking it and sent the post before I realized it was in there.
I have no problems with stirring the pot from time to time, this post was not intended to be that.
You can edit your own posts. Just click the edit button in the lower right corner of the post and go back and delete the smiley.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Your planned upgrade is a safe one.

However, if your are going to chase numbers, then you should do some searching and some reading. There are LOTS of threads in this forum on the upgrade path you are asking questions about.

Enjoy your new ride!

BTW, just order it with a 103 and a six speed and get it over with!%[email protected]

·
Banned
871 Posts
classic1550 said:
What the others said.... :)

Personally, I steer clear of the SE parts, preferring to go aftermarket. Less money and usually better performance, IMHO. Also, try to find an independent performance shop to do the work. I sure and heck wouldn't listen to the SALES department!!!!! They will surely try to sell you a lot of high dollar crap that won't do much for your bikes performance.

There are three things that need to be changed ASAP to get decent performance from you Harley. Those are intake, exhaust, and ignition. With the TC, there's really no need to jump to a big displacement increase right away. You can get a lot out of that engine without spending a lot of money. My Evo is a stock displacement 80 incher and puts out torque and HP numbers in the 90s. More than adequate enough to pull away from a Stage II TC. :brows:

Get the best flowing air cleaner (I like the S&S with a K&N filter... race-proven!), a good 2-1 exhaust like the Thunderheader or V&H Pro-Pipe, and a programmable aftermarket ignition system like the Dyna 2000i, Daytona Twin-Tec, or the Crane Hi4. What you are shooting for is the most torque at the lowest rpms. That will give you tons of pulling power! A good set of cams will make a huge difference, too. Go with cams with low duration numbers, below 240 deg. and the highest lift you can get without head work

Afterwards, it's very important to get the bike tuned on a dyno. If you follow these basic steps, you should be more than happy with your bike! If in the future, you feel the need for more torque (more important than HP!), then you can step up to more cubes and headwork.

This is what I'd recommend. I'm sure many others have other ideas that work well, too.

Cheers! :banana:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.