V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there all! so ill get right to it, just got a 1988 electraglide, my questions are:

1 whats the best oil and viscosity to use in it?

2 where would be a good place to get a service manuel on it without having to take out a small loan

3 is there a way to get rid of the bat wing fairing?

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Use the oil you like, many threads here on that issue.

Harley dealer for a factory service manual and parts book.

Why would you want to get rid of the fairing? Would be easier to trade bikes...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool thanks. it was just an idea on the fairing cause the one thats on it is a little busted up. not bad though might just see if i can find a replacement.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
hey there all! so ill get right to it, just got a 1988 electraglide, my questions are:

1 whats the best oil and viscosity to use in it?

2 where would be a good place to get a service manuel on it without having to take out a small loan

3 is there a way to get rid of the bat wing fairing?
A good quality 20w50 oil designed specifically for motorcyles is what i recommend. If you ride in hot weather a lot then i'd recommend a full synthetic.

Factory service manual is best. You'll pay $50-60 for one but it'll pay for itself many time over if you do your own service.

Getting rid of the bat wing fairing, although possible, would be a giant project. Take the front fairing shell off sometime and you'll understand why.

·
Registered
549 Posts
an original hd manual is the best try ebay,,,,, 20/50 Amsoil is the #1 synthetic Harleys Oil is crap both types....fossil and pethetic :) Mobil is ok at best
red line oil is better Amsoil is still #1 20/50 is the correct wgt....since 1985 or so evo motors require multi grade 20/50

hmmmmmmmmm you want to take it off to sell it? or you dont like it ? to much work and to much money small hand tools disconnect the battery 1st and the big ???? is why ???? you should have bought a road king you will love that fairing on colder days and mornings I live in Denver area 2

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There's an outfit called Archway International Motorcycle Salvage that deals in used HD parts. Maybe you can find a replacement fairing there.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
ok cool thanks. it was just an idea on the fairing cause the one thats on it is a little busted up. not bad though might just see if i can find a replacement.
A picture of the beat up fairing would help. There are a lot of guys here with a lot of knowledge and I'm fairly certain some pics of the fairing will enable them to tell you what can or can't be done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts