V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am flying down to New Orleans between christmas and new years, staying in the french quarter, was looking and HD has rentals in Baton Rouge, how far is it and how could I get there? Does anyone know of rentals closer to NO?

Seems I am always asking for help here....

While I am at it any must see or do things?

thanks

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Baton Rouge is about 80 miles from N.O., interstate ride, not too bad. You can have a blast in Baton Rouge - very friendly folks, great atmosphere.

New Orleans is very cool, depends on what ya like to do. The Quarter and surrounding areas can be rough on tourists - keep your eyes and ears open.

Excellent food in the Quarter but tourist traps, too. There's much excellent food outside the Quarter and cheaper. I have not been since Katrina. Upscale food, try K-Paul's Kitchen, Brennan's or Commanders Palace, Emeril Lagasse has three restaurants in the area, and The Court of Two Sisters used to have great courtyard food/atmosphere for weekend brunch. More down-to-earth and outside the Quarter, try Frankie and Johnny's if Katrina didn't do them in - you can get close by streetcar. Also, I'd recommend Pascal's Manale and the original BBQ shrimp - not what you would expect and quite tasty. A trip to the Quarter means ya gotta do the French Market and have coffee and beignets at the Cafe Du Mond. Split a muffaletta from Central Grocery with someone - great sandwich - and there are poboy shops here and there.

Bar hoppin' - Pat O'Brien's is a good place to start but beware the Hurricanes, they'll take yer legs out. Again, beware, there are some rip-off joints in the Quarter. Tipitina's is arguably the best place for live music and there's a House of Blues in the Quarter. Good music is everywhere - get close to a local, maybe a hotel concierge, and ask lots of questions.

If your tastes run more to the dark side you can pretty much get into whatever ya want in or around New Orleans, just jump in.

If you have the time, get out of New orleans and go west and see the country around Lafayette, like Breaux Bridge, it's not far and you won't be disappointed.

Maybe a local will chime in and tell me I'm full of chit and steer you to some better places but that's a start.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Hey y2kflhr,

I'm a local, I live in New Orleans.

Baton Rouge is 1.5 hours from New Orleans. There is no place to rent a bike closer. Just take I-10 west out of NOLA and you'll be in Baton Rouge in 1.5 hours.

If you need any help while you're here or have any questions before you come, I'll PM you my number and you can call me.

Mike

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks M!

Just got off the phone with Mfalba, and I want to thank him for giving me some great info! More than ever I am looking the food and music. christmas can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
certainly will, again thanks to mike, I have 2 pages of places to check out! I will be fatter than ever when I waddle home! mmmmm gumbo! can't wait, we don't have a lot of cajun restaurants up north

·
424 Posts
Don't foget the Red beans and rice, boiled crawfish (Suck the head and eat the tails) already mention Cafe Du Mond beignets and of course you can not miss out on Commander's Palace although it was much better while Emeril was head chef!!!

:thumbsup:

Enjoy!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts