V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm determined to buy a Sportster in the next few weeks. At a stretch (financially) I could just about get a new '03 53C (at least I've got buy-in from my wife and son - and that helps). Here, in the new 2 tone '03 scheme, the 883 custom is around 6,500 pounds (with taxes paid) from dealer.

I have also seen a very clean & surprisingly low mileage (3,700m) '95 in a fetching deep red with a nice screen (OK it's an XLH with highway pegs rather than forward controls, but hey...) - 3,750 pounds, from a local indy, with 6 months warranty.

Question - have any improvements since '95 been significant enough to warrant the new machine? Apart from being in pounds does the price difference seem fair?

Any advice, views, warnings, or encouragements much appreciated.

6,500 Pound = 10,456.5 US Dollar
3,750 Pound = 6,032.62 US Dollar

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had a 94.... Sold it like a fool. Now have a 03 and only difference is electronic speed indicator... The 94 had a mechanical cable running to the front wheel and it worked just fine.. suttle changes are cosmetic such as different turn signal lenses and that's about it... The 94 also seemed to be faster... Probably because it was broke in..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The cams where slightly change in 2002, but the older cams still work on the new bikes with some kind of kit. The igniton is different too, but for the most part (is it a 5 speed?) they are the same.

Personal I think I would go for the new bike but you got to do what you think is best for you, then have fun!!!

By the way I see new 883 customs going for 10 grand hear in Florida.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kags said:
The cams where slightly change in 2002, but the older cams still work on the new bikes with some kind of kit. The igniton is different too, but for the most part (is it a 5 speed?) they are the same....
Thanks for that Kags - I had already looked at the History section in sprortster.org, but this comprehensive resource (listing each year's changes) stops around 1993...:rolleyes:
The older one is a 5 speed, and has the larger tank as well :eek:
I will test drive it anyway and see what it feels and sounds like. Is there much of a difference between the SEI and the current SEII's? Nick

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The S/EI's have a bolt that holds the baffle in, making it easy to remove, some folks (like myshelf) say they sound better to. As long as that bike is in good shape and if its low miles your good to go...

·
Registered
74 Posts
New model 883 53C seems really expensive (close to the price of a new 1200 in France). I would buy the used one and with a part of the money difference, ask the Indy to upgrade it to 1200 stage 1, with at least 6 months warranty. When budget still ok put some goodies (Seat, forward controls ...).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kags - thanks for info on pipes (sounds better and better!)

Olivier - bon soir - agree with you, saving on the initial cost does leave some spare cash for essential goodies - forward controls being a priority as I am quite tall. Have booked Thursday as a day off work to take the bike out for a good test run - here's hoping it all runs great.

Is there anything in particular I should look at (or out for) on a low mileage '95?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts