V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow 'Motorheads'!
I been riding 'cycles since '73 (Honda 50cc minibike).
I live in Stafford, VA.
I traded my '01 XLH1200 in two weeks ago and I'm now cruising on a '02 Dyna Wide Glide.
It had a Stage I kit on it, but still had factory mufflers.
On Saturday, I installed SE Pro II slash down slip-ons.
NOW it sounds like a Harley!
Took it on a 125 mile ride yesterday.
Runs great, sounds great! I'm alittle concerned with the 35 mpg I am getting, but maybe I was spoiled with the Sportster's 54 mpg (even with a Stage II and V-H straight pipes).
I hope I can meet all/some of you the next time you have a ride planned.
My OL won't be riding w/me on the new bike this season; she is 10-weeks pregnant with our 2nd kid (1st one is 2 1/2 y.o.)
Damn, I'm at work & gotta run - they actually want me to do work when I am here!
Tim

·
Solamente inglés hablado
562 Posts
Welcome,
I'm John. I'm pretty new here too. I'm down in Frederickburg.. Shot me a PM if you want to go hit the road. I'm on a 99 Road King (Stage I w/ Wild Pig pipes)
S/F
John

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
TiJon said:
I live in Stafford, VA.
I traded my '01 XLH1200 in two weeks ago and I'm now cruising on a '02 Dyna Wide Glide.
Runs great, sounds great! I'm alittle concerned with the 35 mpg I am getting, but maybe I was spoiled with the Sportster's 54 mpg (even with a Stage II and V-H straight pipes).
My OL won't be riding w/me on the new bike this season; she is 10-weeks pregnant with our 2nd kid (1st one is 2 1/2 y.o.)
Damn, I'm at work & gotta run - they actually want me to do work when I am here!
Tim
Glad you posted out here Tim. Looking forward to ridin with you. This will be the best place to see who is ridin or wants to go for a ride. Someone is always up for it and I might be the one who is closest to you. Let's ride soon.
Doug

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
JJsFLHX said:
Congrats on the new bike. I live out here on 17. Maybe see you out here someday.
We're out that way all the time...look forward to meeting you...we have quite a few patches left...it'd be cool to be able to hand 'em all out!!!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
TiJon said:
I live in Stafford, VA.
Tim
You may wanna address your mpg with your dealer...remind him of the advertised 50 mpg but if you get 45 be happy...WELCOME...we're gonna have some sizable rides this year...y'all check out all our ride threads as we're about to get the season started!!! Got a patch for ya too!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
HD-LUX said:
'06 is shaping up to be the Year of the Delinquent. Ride on!
Is that on the Chinese Calendar??? It's on the NoVo one fer sure...

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Welcome

Hey glad to see some new folks wanting to ride, look forward to meeting you on the road sometime soon.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magical, Mysterious MPG on my Dyna Wide Glide

O.K. all you people...here's something to ponder.
I am pretty "Monk"-ish (USA Network TV program) with tracking my MPG for my vehicles. I maintain historical (including mantenance) data on my vehicles, and a drop in mpg is usually the first indicator that something is going on.
I bought my 'cycle March 11th. In the month of March I filled it up 4 times.
My MPG ranged from 34.5 to 36.5.
With the two fill ups I have done thus far in April (BTW-April Fools Day ride was ~215 miles.) I have seen a jump in mpg. One tank was 37.2 mpg. The second fill up was 43 mpg.
Now, I ain't complaining, I was just wondering if anyone has any useful suggestions on why (besides the motorcycle gods smiling upon me)?
Tim

·
Scooter Trash
37 Posts
It may be that your motor is just getting broke in. I know that my first 1,000 miles or so that my bike actually ran better and the fuel mileage improved. How many miles does your Wide Glide have on it? This is just a suggestion, but I had the same results with my bike. The dealer said that power would improve, but didn't mention anything about the fuel mileage.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Is that on the Chinese Calendar??? It's on the NoVo one fer sure...
swm...it's NoVa.............................ain't it?:rolleyes:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
xkvator said:
swm...it's NoVa.............................ain't it?:rolleyes:
Ya got me...always wanted a Nova...must be a Freudian thing...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
kcc0521 said:
Are you sure the low mileage is not when you are in alot of traffic. Hard to get good mileage sitting still.
To answer both comments:
It is a 2002 model, carb'ed. I drove it from Orange, VA to Stafford,VA the day I bought it. (~52 miles)
There was an upgrade done to it and/or the A/C - don't know exactly what was done (SE-Phase I, Dynojet, who knows).
The last fill up in March was after I installed SE Pro II mufflers.
For those who know the area, my normal commute is 619 to 234 and back (~50 mile round-trip). So, I'm not in major traffic. My average commute time is ~40 minutes.
My ONLY guess it that this bike was traded in / brought into Waugh HD & serviced In October '05, and sat in the showroom (waiting for me) until March '06. Maybe it just needed the cobwebs shakened out of it. I'll keep ya posted.
Oh, BTW, I have not detected the slightest urge to upgrade my Dyna. I'm still 'peakin' that I am cruising on the sweetest bike I have ever owned.
Tim
:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That Chevy didn't sell too well in Spainish speaking countries (like California).
Nova in Spainish means 'No go'.
Tim
(Educating the masses at every opportunity)
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts