V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, here's the story... I had just finished breaking in the new 95", SE Stage II motor, (complete with SE high compression heads and pistons, SE 258 cams, Mikuni HSR42, SE air filter, & SE slip ons) in my 99 FXDL. I have owned this scoot since she was new in 98 & had 21862 great miles logged before the rebuild.
The time came for a long awaited trip to the Sunshine State to see the folks. I would stop at my buds' house outside of Atlanta, Georgia to spend a couple of days to catch up on all the news before heading on down to Florida.
The first day I rode in a light mist for the better part of 10 hours. AsI neared my first destination, I noticed that the air filter cover had worked its' way loose, literally. The filter housing threads had pulled right out of the air filter assembly,leaving a shred of metal there, holding everything together!! After taking the time to have a cold beverage to wash the road away, we went to the local HD dealer, where I bought a new filter assembly. I installed it , gave everything a close inspection, and figured I was good to go. There was a nagging feeling that perhaps a tiny piece of metal might have found its' way into my new motor. Not that anything sounded any different, but it bugged me just the same.
After a day spent partying and remembering the "old days", I set out the next morning headed for the state line! I was about an hour from Fla when I stopped for gas, after about 4 hours of riding. As I finished topping her off, I noticed that the tripmeter said 666.0 miles. I try not to be too superstitious, but I couldn't help but notice the cold chills that ran up my spine when I read the meter. I pulled out onto the highway, headed up a slight grade on the entrance ramp. It was one of those that I like to let her rip on, if you know what I mean. Then I heard it...a noise that sounded like something was coming apart in the motor! I rolled off the throttle, and everything sounded okay. Again, I gave it some gas, and heard the worst sound I think I have ever heard. I limped down the road a few miles to a rest stop. Tried to turn it over a few times, but she was fading fast. Oh man I thought... I've broke the new mill!! The OL is gonna kill me !! Had to call the OL to arrange a rescue plan. Got the scoot back to the shop that did the work. After checking all the ignition, timing,plugs, etc, it appeared the bike should fire, but no such luck. Long story as short as I can make it, turns out the "gas" I had last bought was more water than anything else! The #%&* wouldn't even burn !
I got the scoot back and made the ride again in a month or so. Just thought I would share this little adventure with anyone who cared to read it!
twincamzz

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You betcha. One more part of the story... Remember the air filter deal? I had put a HD round air filter cover on a few weeks before the trip. Seems like I read somewhere that certain year round filter covers could cause the threads to pull out of the filter assembly. Not for sure if this was the cause of the problem w/ the filter or not, but I took the round one off and added it to the collection of parts decorating my garage walls! I am now running the TC oval air cleaner cover, just to be safe.( Actually I traded this scooter off for a 01 FLHPI that I had the 95" motor built in as well, but I run the oval on it too.)
twincamzz

·
Registered
695 Posts
That bad gas crap has happened to me also. What gas station (name) did you buy the gas? Was it a major chain or some independent. After I got some bad gas, I only buy certain stations -- but when you're out on a road trip sometimes you have no choice.
After I get my bike and start putting some seriouis miles on it, I'll think about doing all the modifications you've done.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cox9000, it was an independent station...didn't have a great deal of choice as I was running on fumes. You can bet that now I keep a closer eye on the gas gauge, and try not to stop unless it is a big name brand.
twincamzz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts