V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dues are Paid
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called Lyndall direct for new Z+ pads. Paul says they are not available, on national backorder for three weeks. Anyone asking for the Z+ gets the Gold for the Z+ price and an another 10% for mentioning this forum. That's $42 a set.

Go get em now...

Tom

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Same here, my gold pads just arrived yesterday as promised. They called and advised me the Z+ I ordered were backordered, they sent the gold for the same price + 10% for mentioning the forum. Excellent customer service! They got my brake business from now on!

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Are these pad good for not pitting the aluminum wheels on my XL? Better stopping power than the factory pads? Im new to bikes and Im interested in better pads than stock. Better STOPPING POWER! Im just not ready to upgrade the calipers or rotors yet.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Only downside compared to the Z-Pads is you gotta break them in, AFAIK.
Break-in, Thats no big deal. Takes a short while but the Gold are estimated to last only 1/2 that of the Z+ life and they are likely very agressive to t he stock rotors.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If I remember correctly, the gold pads normally last only about 8 - 10,000 miles where the Z pads last around 18,000+ miles. Also, you do not have to break in the Z pads. In my opinion, the Z pads are a better deal - cost less and last longer.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
maybe try calling some of the vendors to see if they have soem Z+ pads. I have them and they're great brake pads.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Just bought Z+ pads from the local bike shop Monday. They had to order them and i got them Wednesday. No problems installing.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I put a pair of Z+ on my EGC fronts. Stock rotors and stock calipers. I ride kind of aggressivly, so I wanted something that would hold up to my riding style. The Z+ pads I put on started to fade and stink like burning brakes after a few aggressive stops. I got one thats squeaking too. Not bad but annoying. I had about 75 or 80 miles on the bike when I had to grab the front brake about 4 or 5 times in a row, thats when the stink started. I also don't have any more stopping power over the stock HD pads. Any body got any ideas or suggestions here? Or was I expecting too much? I know I'm not going to do a "stoppie" with an 800# bagger, but there is NO difference over stock.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
merlinHD said:
I called Lyndall re the breakin and they said there was no breakin required.
HE was talking about the golds needing brake in.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Anybody ever use Ferrado pads? Suppose to be even better than Lyndall. :dunno: still have stock pads so no experience with either. Also to those who swapped did you wait until the stockers were worn out or just chucked the stockers.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just had m Gold pads installed thismorning along with 2 new Metzler ME880s, The break in is simple, 20 hard stops from 20 and 40 mph. I made the pads smoke then let cool. Bike stops on a dime with little effort and the new Metlers makes the bagger handle like a new ride and no more unstable turns. The brakes are quiet now also. None of that irritating low speed noise from the front.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
V-MOD.com had Z-Pads for about $35 last time I bought them. I have 52,000 miles on the current set and have a long ways to go.
They were a litle noisy at first, especially in the rain, but they settled down after about 500 miles or so.

No dust, no swish,swish,swish, good stopping power. I ride a RK and am not a aggressive rider.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
RustyG said:
V-MOD.com had Z-Pads for about $35 last time I bought them. I have 52,000 miles on the current set and have a long ways to go.
They were a litle noisy at first, especially in the rain, but they settled down after about 500 miles or so.

No dust, no swish,swish,swish, good stopping power. I ride a RK and am not a aggressive rider.
52,000 miles on a set of z pads? come on now 52,000 miles are you sure there's pads left in there or are trailering miles included.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
brownjams said:
52,000 miles on a set of z pads? come on now 52,000 miles are you sure there's pads left in there or are trailering miles included.
According to my maintenance records, I replaced the stock pads with Z-Pads with 60,823 miles on the bike on Oct 20,2004.
Today I have 102,500 miles on the odometer. (102,500 - 60,823 = 41677)
So I guess I lied a bit. I only have 41,677 miles on them with lots of miles left to go.
I did mention I am not a agressive rider hence less brake pad wear. The Harley pads did not last long at all
First set at 17511 miles
Second at 27,660
Z-pads at 60,823

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
WOW! I don't ride aggressive but have some sudden stops from time to time. I hope mine last half of what you have on yours. although I'm not apt to set a record with them either. that stopping thing is important.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts