V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a new 2005 Kendon single trailer from my local Harley dealer.
However, I noticed on the way home (towing empty) the trailer bounced around/shaked a great deal, especially over 45mph. Roads were in good to excellent condition.

Thought that possibly one or both wheels were out of balance. Went back to the dealer and tested a different trailer. Exact same thing happened around 45mph.

I was wondering what others expierence has been towing this trailer empty? Is this simply because the trailer doesn't have any weight on it? Or is it something else? :hmmm:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I got one of those and towed it about 225 miles home. It ran fine and no bouncing around and it was empty. Agree they are very light but should run down the road with out all that bouncing on a smooth road surface. mabye the tires were over or under inflated. other than that out of balance. or maybe I just lucked out and got a good one.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Mine follows perfect, loaded or empty! It does bounce around a little empty, no big deal. Suckers are hard to back up!

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Your trailer is fine. For a precautionary measure only you can check the air in the tires to make sure they are not over inflated, but that is not it. I have a very light weight trailer (Trailer in Bag) and it will bounce with no weight but still pulls true. As long as it is pulling straight behind your vehicle that is all the matters. When you put your bike on it you will see just how nice a light weight trailer pulls. It will stop bouncing and just pull perfectly. I probably have the lightest Motorcycle trailer out, but when my bike is on it you wouldn't be able to tell it based on how nice it pulls the bike.

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
I was wondering what others expierence has been towing this trailer empty? Is this simply because the trailer doesn't have any weight on it? Or is it something else?
I have no experience with the trailer you mention but, one of the most important things is a LEVEL trailer. Make sure your ball is the right height to accomplish this.jmo

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Snarly said:
I have no experience with the trailer you mention but, one of the most important things is a LEVEL trailer. Make sure your ball is the right height to accomplish this.jmo
That is correct. I need about two more inch drop on my hitch and it would pull even better.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If this is one of the stand up trailers like mine, are you towing it with the last half of the trailer folded up onto itself or extended? I would't leave it extended without weight on it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Couple questions, (serious, not trying to be a wisea$$).

1) Are you towing the trailer in the "folded up" mode and did you make sure that the rubber bungee strap was secure?

2) could you see the trailer actually weaving around a lot, or were you only hearing some clanging sounds?

I just purchased the 2 place Kendon and the manual says to always tow the trailer folded when empty. I was pulling it with a 1 ton Dually and couldn't even tell it was there (only weighs about 400 pounds). It pulled great, but occasionally made a clanging sound when I went over large bumps which I think was the two halves bumping against each other a little bit.

I don't think they balance trailer tires. I can't see any weights on my tires... If it isn't towing straight check tire pressure and ball hitch height. If that's OK, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe your hitch is not installed squarely on your tow vehicle? This might cause it to dog track a little. Maybe borrow a friend's vehicle for a short pull and see if you still have the trouble. Let us know what you find, I am curious. You have purchased a very high quality product that the manufacturer will stand behind 100%

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
adlerx said:
Mine follows perfect, loaded or empty! It does bounce around a little empty, no big deal. Suckers are hard to back up!

Nah.......those trailers aren't hard to back up......you just got to improve on your skills!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
DLL66 said:
Nah.......those trailers aren't hard to back up......you just got to improve on your skills!!! :laugh:
I have a CDL, pretty good at backing up a trailer, even doubles, the kendon is a challenge
I really don't wanna get good at backing up the kendon, it's only for emergencies (you know, like loaning it to friends who always bring it back fuched up..), the rest of the time, I'll ride!!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Have to agree on backing the Kendon trailers, a real pain. I can back my 25 foot boat no problem, the kendon I am lucky to back a few feet

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
adlerx said:
I have a CDL, pretty good at backing up a trailer, even doubles, the kendon is a challenge
I really don't wanna get good at backing up the kendon, it's only for emergencies (you know, like loaning it to friends who always bring it back fuched up..), the rest of the time, I'll ride!!

That is my point..........you are used to backing up 40+ feet. Lots of time for adjustment and correction. A smaller trailer is way less forgiving. :)

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
The small trailers are so close it only takes a small amount to make a huge correction backing them up. It only takes once to twice to adjust.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,852 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Your trailer is fine. For a precautionary measure only you can check the air in the tires to make sure they are not over inflated, but that is not it. I have a very light weight trailer (Trailer in Bag) and it will bounce with no weight but still pulls true. As long as it is pulling straight behind your vehicle that is all the matters. When you put your bike on it you will see just how nice a light weight trailer pulls. It will stop bouncing and just pull perfectly. I probably have the lightest Motorcycle trailer out, but when my bike is on it you wouldn't be able to tell it based on how nice it pulls the bike.
Hey man,

How do you like your tiab? How far have you towed a bike on it? Is it a solid product? What options did you get and did they meet you expectations? This trailer is on my list and you're the first person I've come across with first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
arjonaut said:
Hey man,

How do you like your tiab? How far have you towed a bike on it? Is it a solid product? What options did you get and did they meet you expectations? This trailer is on my list and you're the first person I've come across with first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
Joe
I love my Trailer in a Bag. You will get comments from people that don't know what they are talking about like, I wouldn't tow my bike on that flimsy thing and those tires are too small for the interstate, etc. The trailer is made just like an individual small motorcycle trailer only it breaks down into peices, the tires are rated for interstate speed. and the damn thing is built rock solid. It is a GREAT trailer.

I have towed my bike several miles (sorry I don't know exact amount of miles) down the interstate and it is great. I have even pulled the small trailer behind my truck without a bike on it and it pulled true.

I didn't get the removeable fenders. I think if you are worried about trash throwing up on the bike you should get one of the Gator Guards I have seen mentioned in some bike mags. You wrap it all around your bike when it is on a trailer to protect it from debris.

When I ordered my trailer I ordered it directly from the owner. I called the guy and didn't go through someone that possibly had one in stock. If you can search around and find one it will save you time. He was busy when I ordered mine and it took me about 3 weeks to get it.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Yeah I hear ya about those "small tires". I towed my bike from AK to NC (because I was moving/PCSing) on a 4'x10' snowmobile trailer. Those little tires held up the whole way. I'd chance getting debris before I'd wrap it. You might get a ding or two by chancing it, but having a cover on it will scratch, no matter how tight, snug and "non scratching material" it might be.......no use of debating it...........I already experienced it!! Worried about scratches and debri? Get a enclosed trailer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts