V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old KBC helmet hed been worn so much, the padding streched out to the point that the helmet fitted like it was too large. Cruising down the highway at 70+ mph, the front of the helmet lifted up and the strap would choke me. Had enough of it yesterday.

Today I went to the HD dealer and checked out their helmets. Last one I tried on fit like a glove. Of course it was $150. I thought, I'm not gonna pay that much for a half helmet. Well, after paying for it and riding today, I don't feel that badly. The helmet worked great and was very comfortable.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524448771001&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302285955&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374302285955&bmUID=1190104861465&bmLocale=en_US

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
How old was your other helmet? My guess would be that this helmet will last for years to come. I think a $150 investment like this will pay for itself in the long run. Some people get bent around the idea that they can get just as good of a helmet for cheaper because it does not have the "Harley" name on it. While they may be right, to each there own.... In the long run $150 is cheap.

·
05 Flhrci
135 Posts
That's a good looking helmet. I like the ghosted graphics. You probably could have got a plain one for less. If the helmet ever has to do its job(I hope it never does) it will have paid for its self a thousand times over. So $150 is not that bad.​

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
nixdad said:
My old KBC helmet hed been worn so much, the padding streched out to the point that the helmet fitted like it was too large. Cruising down the highway at 70+ mph, the front of the helmet lifted up and the strap would choke me. Had enough of it yesterday.

Today I went to the HD dealer and checked out their helmets. Last one I tried on fit like a glove. Of course it was $150. I thought, I'm not gonna pay that much for a half helmet. Well, after paying for it and riding today, I don't feel that badly. The helmet worked great and was very comfortable.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524448771001&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302285955&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374302285955&bmUID=1190104861465&bmLocale=en_US
If you want the best DOT half helmet go here http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.htm. Their DOT helmets are so thin they look like novelty. They also come with different thickness padding so you can customize for your head. This leads to a perfect fit and prevents the dreaded "skull chute" that is common with most half helmets. They are expensive but not much more than what you paid for the HD helmet.

·
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HD_chris said:
How old was your other helmet? My guess would be that this helmet will last for years to come. I think a $150 investment like this will pay for itself in the long run. Some people get bent around the idea that they can get just as good of a helmet for cheaper because it does not have the "Harley" name on it. While they may be right, to each there own.... In the long run $150 is cheap.
My other helmet was probably two to three years old and well used.

·
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cmotorcycles said:
That's a good looking helmet. I like the ghosted graphics. You probably could have got a plain one for less. If the helmet ever has to do its job(I hope it never does) it will have paid for its self a thousand times over. So $150 is not that bad.​
You know, I tried on probably ten different helmets. Same sizes, but they all fit differently. And of course, they didn't have the size in the plain black helmet which was fifty bucks cheaper. Oh well, I'm happy with the fit overall.

·
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
miles to go said:
If you want the best DOT half helmet go here http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.htm. Their DOT helmets are so thin they look like novelty. They also come with different thickness padding so you can customize for your head. This leads to a perfect fit and prevents the dreaded "skull chute" that is common with most half helmets. They are expensive but not much more than what you paid for the HD helmet.
I didn't realize that they came with the different thickness padding for that perfect fit. Thanks though. I'll remember that for my next helmet.

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Cmotorcycles said:
@gree: REALLY nice looking helmet, and I think the price is not that bad!

·
banal
486 Posts
That's a good sign you're a real rider when you start wearing out helmets. I guess next you'll be wearing out your hand grips and floorboards.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
moonshine said:
Some model helmets made by ACC could not pass the DOT tests due to multiple penetration failures.
That would be their NON-DOT helmets. Their DOT models pass all tests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts