V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guys to this forum, some great info here. Here is picture of me and my son **** on our 98 Heritage Springer. We live in Beaver Falls PA. The boy tools around the yard with me but he has not been on the road yet, he is only 5. He rides a Yamaha 50 for now but is busting my chops to get a Harley.

Anybody have any opinions on when they have taken there kids on the road?
Thanks,

Bozman

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Bozman, the pic didn't come through. :(

As for the age a youngster is able to ride, the answer is when a youngster is able to ride. Not being a smart ass, just being honest.

If your son can ride his own "mini" bike, then he can ride along with you, at least for short rides. A younger would need to: 1. be able to hold on; 2. understand and follow instructions about being a safe passenger; and 3. most importantly, have his mother's blessing for the adventure. In this regard, if two adult family members think the kid is old enough to ride, he probably is.

The lenght of the ride would depend upon the stamina of the youngster. And common sense, i.e. don't take a 5 year old on a 300 mile trip.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I started taking my son out with me when he was 4, by the time he was 5 he wanted to operate the throttle, hA!
What scared the ba-he-mas out of me is when one of my son's cousins fell asleep on the back one time -- not good. So I'm real careful about giving kids a ride -- I try to make them short for safety and check on them often (keep them talking).

·
Registered
544 Posts
It really is up to the child. I have a 5 & 7 year old and it really depends. I do take them on rides but short rides and in the mornings when they are awake. I have had both have fall asleep on me and I had to slap there leg to keep them awake. Now only short rides and close to home. The last time out doing real local riding both did real well, no problems.

I would highly recommend a padded sissy bar so they have something to lean against, so they won't tier out as easy or fall off the back. I do have one, but I guess the bike is smooth and on warm days, in the afternoons, it can be tough on the little ones.

Oh welcome to the board, good question

1 - 5 of 5 Posts