V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 1969 XLCH for a while now, sort of a love hate relationship.
Anyone out there with experience on these old kick-only ironheads will know what I mean. But here is the real kicker.

I just bought a 2003 100th Aniversery Fatboy! Gunmetal Pearl and due in September. Here is my question ---- How hard is it to get used to a heavyweight like the FLSTF vs. the old XLCH? Besides getting used to the shift on the left / brake on right and an electric start (yeah, THAT will be a bummer) how is it to handle? A bike this heavy is just a little intimidating for me. My past riding experience (about 20 years worth) has been on much lighter bikes, under 500 lbs.

Looking forward to the FatBoy, but sure would hate to drop it.....

Any advice out there?

:D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Congratulations on your new Fat Boy -- Oh! Yeah! You've picked a big beast of a bike, but you'll adjust with no problem especially since you've got all that riding experience. Way to go!
How far are you from Fort Riley? I've got relatives in Kansas working in the cattle business. Next time I visit, I plan on riding my Harley out there, maybe we could hook up for a ride.
Anyway glad you found the forum, looking forward to reading your posts.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That is a hard question for me since my V-Rod is about the same weight as my last bike. Have you been away from biking for a while and if so how long?

The reason I am asking is that I was off bikes for 10-12 years before getting my V-Rod and about the best recommendation I got was to take the Basic Rider Course offered at most Community Colleges. It was a fantastic course that I would highly recommend to anyone. If you have been off bike for a few years you may want to consider it, I think you’d feel a lot more comfortable on your Fat boy if you took it. And heck the course runs about $100, my insurance company gave me 10% off and Harley HOG will give you fifty HOG buck good toward any purchase at a Harley Dealer on part and or accessories. But you have to be a member, but given the backlog of folks wanting to get into the class you'll more than likely have you bike by then anyway. Also check your local HOG chapter some have reserved slots in the classes for members.

Welcome, good luck and hope this helped,

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In regards to Ft. Riley, I'm about 2 hours southwest, just outside of Wichita. Get in touch if in the area....

In regards to MSF course - I'm taking the class in September for several reasons. One to get my license (I let mine lapse when I moved to Kansas from New Mexico in 1998 - haven't ridden since 1998) and also for the insurance break. I'm already a HOG member thanks to the XLCH. Between the MSF discount, HOG discount, and discount for being a "mature" rider (thanks a lot) the insurance for the '03 is not to bad.
A whole lot more than the $17 year for the XLCH though.... ;-)

Plan on a whole lot of familiarization time in the parking lot with the FatBoy!

·
Registered
337 Posts
tshaner,
I am in the same boat as you are I've got a 73 xlch and waiting for my '03 ST Springer. The reason that I went for a new bike was that the 73 sounded like she was fading fast. I figured I could A. trade it in B. sell it to a friend (real cheap) C. keep it & fix it up. Well after 100 or so kicks (my neighbor was counting) one morning last week I decided to give it a tune up it was lacking. She just ran real nice for the last week. I just love the feel of a properly adjusted Primary chain "Smooth". I decided I was going to keep the bike & have the engine tightend up in the future. Well the future came last night about 4 blocks away from home (thank god). I pulled 150' away from a stop sign heard 4 or 5 loud knocks & she gave up on me. Well I pushed her home around midnight got out the tools and took the engine out got done with that about 4:30am. I would have pulled the heads off last night but I didnt have a 12pt socket. So this morning I went to the fathers house took the rear cylinder off and there was the exhaust valve borken clean off the stem. (A whole nother thread)
So I guees Ill be getting this fixed sooner than I wanted to. But at least I know I won't be getting rid of my sportster for sure now. My wife thinks I planned it this way. But my plans never work out as planed anyway.
Were you going to keep your sportster??

Keep both wheels down,
Buzz

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard.tshaner!

Congrats on the Fatboy,you'll be fine adapting to a bigger scooter,enjoy!

Post often,it's the members here that make this forum what it is.
guido

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here. Post often. J.T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buzz;

I am keeping the XLCH. I just went through an entire rebuild, had to weld the case due to a tranny blowout and went for a total rebuild while I was at it. Still waiting on the heads to get back but it should be better than new. I still love the old girl, just something about the old ironhead that I can't let go of. I'm sure I'll be on the '03 FLSTF an awful lot, but the old '69 will get it's share of road time as well. To top it off, my wife wants her own bike, an 883 hugger. If only the $ grew on trees...

Maybe in a year or two....

·
Registered
337 Posts
That is great you are able to keep your bike I've heard a few people that sounded bummed that they sold their first Harley (guessing the xlch is your 1st) . I have a letter from the 2nd owner of my bike (I'm probably the 4th or 5th owner). But anyway it sounded like he was giving his first born up. But Im glad I've got her and have to rebuild now Ill keep the bike since I've gotta sink the money into her. Its cheaper to keep her! Well hope to see you on the road someday. Take good care.

Buzz

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome to the forum tshanner, I doubt you'll have too much trouble getting used to the Fatboy. It is a heavy bike but it seems to have a low center of gravity and I know guys that have never ridden before take to it pretty quickly. Being that you already have experience on the XL I think you'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts