V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Big time SERT and EFI newbie here;

I have a question concerning a map i found recently. Its from the boys at Thunderheader and it can be found on their website. It says that the map is for 1450cc, their thunderheader pipe, with a SE AC. The questions i have are:

1- Is there a way to tell if this map is good to use on an 06 Dyna, because they make the thunderheader for a bunch of different models?

2- I actually bought the new Rinehart 2 into 1 pipe fro my bike. I know that the TH has unique characteristics but being that both pipes are 2 into 1's id imagine that the map would get me pretty close and i wouldnt have to worry about hurting anything on the bike?

3- Should i just use the canned map from the sert disc to be safe for now and not risk some unknown map?

4-My final option is to buy the map from HDmaps.com for the TH, 1450cc, and SE ac, as they havent completed the map for the 06 Dyna with the Rinehart pipe yet. I know this would work for the 06 Dyna.

5 The bike will be getting a Arlen Ness Stage II billet sucker intake this month once they're produced. I assume since ill be using the stock intake for now that i would really be safe

The bike will be getting a dyno tune late this month once my intake arrives from Arlen Ness, so i just want it to run good but not great, and most importantly for now Safe.

Thanks for any help you offer

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Eliminate option number 4. The hdmaps.com map for '06 Dynas is junk. Bike pops like crazy on decel. I looked at the VE and timing tables and there are descrepencies all over the place. Someone did some very sloppy work there.

Unless the Thunderheader map is specifically written for '06 Dynas, it won't work on your bike. You need a map that is written for closed loop operation and O2 sensors. There are two types of these maps on the SERT CD. One is for bikes with 8 degree injectors and one is for bikes with 25 degree injectors. Make sure you use the correct map.

Run the canned map until you can get a proper dyno tune.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
JamieWG said:
Eliminate option number 4. The hdmaps.com map for '06 Dynas is junk. Bike pops like crazy on decel. I looked at the VE and timing tables and there are descrepencies all over the place. Someone did some very sloppy work there.

Unless the Thunderheader map is specifically written for '06 Dynas, it won't work on your bike. You need a map that is written for closed loop operation and O2 sensors. There are two types of these maps on the SERT CD. One is for bikes with 8 degree injectors and one is for bikes with 25 degree injectors. Make sure you use the correct map.

Run the canned map until you can get a proper dyno tune.
Hi there JamieWG.

I've ordered the SERT from the US. As I got a HDI, without the O2 sensors, I do hope that there are some maps for non US bikes. Could you confirm this to me?

Cheers,

//Dan

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Download the map and open it up in the sert software. If it says closed loop at the top then it is for the 06 closed loop system.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Dan B,

Just run a non closed loop map that matches your build and you will be set. Just make sure you set the injector size to the 06 size. Open an 06 closed loop map and see what the injector size is and make sure your map matches it. You can mix and match stuff betweem maps. When I did my breakin I had only an open loop map to work with. I just copyed the closed loop stuff over from another closed loop map that was close to my build and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Guys i just opened the map from TH and in a green box it says closed and in the next box it says TC88/TC88B so it looks as thou this may be good for the 06 dynas i hope

On edit the TH web site does say its for a 06 Dyna

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
You are good to go if it says closed loop then it is for the dyna....

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
MaineHD said:
how can you tell if the map is written for an 06 dyna short of calling thunder header?
First thing I can think of is load the map into the Tuning Software and click: EDIT/EDIT PART NUMBER. This will give the part # of the base map that was used.

The '06 Dyna Stage 1 is 141NX001-A0.MT6.

Good luck.

:cheers:

PS: Sorry Maine...........I was late to post. Sounds like your good to go!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
floyd78 said:
Dan B,

Just run a non closed loop map that matches your build and you will be set. Just make sure you set the injector size to the 06 size. Open an 06 closed loop map and see what the injector size is and make sure your map matches it. You can mix and match stuff betweem maps. When I did my breakin I had only an open loop map to work with. I just copyed the closed loop stuff over from another closed loop map that was close to my build and it worked out fine.
Hi there Floyd78,

Thank you for the info,

My SERT is on backorder, so I'm still a novice about it. I've been reading the manual, but I guess I'll have to fiddle with the software to be familiar with the stuff. What you say seems logical and gives me hope to get a good self tuned map to start with.

Cheers!

//Dan B

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
No problem! If you have any questions when you get going just fire away and we will see what we come up with....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts