V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Welcome Prez,
I'd like to submit a 3rd motion on wyodude's opinion. Forward controls feel so good (comfortable) with tall guys like us. I'm guessing you've been looking at lots of bikes and trying to make up your mind. People buy certain style / model bikes for lots of different reasons -- sometimes it's because of money. Have you ever sat on a Dyna Wide Glide or a Softail Standard. Please bear in mind that this is just my experience -- I thought these were the only 2 bikes that fit me. I'll have to learn to ride the forward controls when my bike gets here. Every bike I've ever owned had mid controls with highway pegs. Stretching out your long legs makes riding more pleasant.
Wish you the best of luck with selecting your bike. Let us know.

· Registered
555 Posts
Damn can I ever relate to your pain and anguish except for the part about this being your first bike (I started riding when I was young).
I can only just guess but by the way your words are put together you want a Harley real Bad, don't you? OH Boy, Leroy wants a Toy -- can I relate to what you're going through. I was in your shoes, I too couldn't afford that much money. It took me way to long before I was able to even think about getting my Harley because I married young. There wasn't any extra cash -- when you're young and trying to take care of a family a Harley didn't have the highest priority.
Anyway I'm getting off beat -- I would say first and foremost get on 2 wheels and learn to ride. I bet that there is somebody in your area that has a deal (low price) for you on a good used bike. There's no such thing as a cheap Harley. There are several ways to get your insurance rates reduced but I would suggest talking this over with an agent that understands your situation (somebody you feel comfortable with & can trust).
My suggestion to learn (start) on a bike other than Harley may not be the right thing to say on this forum but not everybody was fortunate enough to start out on a Harley.
Wish you luck, keep us posted on the decision you make.

· Registered
555 Posts
Shoot, I guess I misunderstood you. I didn't realize you had enough money to go out and pay cash for a new Harley -- since that's the case, I would say go for it, buy it now.
It's good to hear you're so well off at a young age. Good Luck!

· Registered
555 Posts
prez1967,
I agree with fwilliamsiii -- riding off road will help. That's how I started out when I was a kid. You learn a lot of different skills that may be applied to the road. By the time I was old enough to start going through motorcycle riding courses it was a piece of cake. I remember taking safety courses that taught balance & control with both feet on the pegs at all times, at slow speeds, while maneuvering over and through obstacles. Learning to use the clutch, throttle and brakes all together make you an excellent rider in tight spots.
Let us know when you make your final decision, OK?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.