V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was born Arkansas a long time ago. We were really poor, but everyone else was poor too, but didn't realize how poor we were until we moved to Oregon. Live most of my life there in the Northwest. Joined the Air Force in 1973 and retired in 1995. Taveled a good bit in my job as a photojournalist. Didn't get serious about riding until 1992 while stationed in The Netherlands when I purchased a 1992 Ultra Tour Glide.
Sold the Tour Glide in 1994 before being reassigned to Missouri. Bought a 1994 Heritage and had it for a short while. My ex-wife didn't enjoy riding so trying to please her I sold the Heritage and bought a 1994 Goldwing. Nice bike but boring. Rode it for a couple of years then got rid of the wife and the Goldwing. Purchased a Honda Valkyrie in 1996 and got a new wife, a new and imporved vesion. She loves to ride. We had various Hondas. Although they were good bikes we wern't happy with them. In 1999 we walked into a Harley shop in Kansas City and fell in love with a chrome yellow 2000 Heritage. We then ordered a 2001 Jade SunGlo Ultra. Waiting for the Ultra we traded the Heritage for a 2001 ElectaGlide Classic. We were talking to our Harley dealer in Sedalia, Missouri in June of 2001 and he said that Harley was making a White Pearl Ultra for 2002 and he had one that was coming in and wasn't spoken for. Before I could answer my wife said we'll take. God I love that woman. In July we took a week and went to Colorado, something everone should do. While staying at a motel in Montrose we met a gentleman that wanted to buy our 2001 Ultra as soon as our new one came in. We got our new 2002 White Pearl Ultra in the middle of September and traded our 2001 ElectraGlide or a 2002 White Pearl Fatboy. We've only got about $8.00 left in the bank but have a couple of nice scooter s in the garage. We both work hard and our free time is spent with activities involving motorcycles. It may not be right for everone but it is for us.
Well now the not so good stuff. The day after Christmas it was about 28 degrees but the sun was shining and I decided to go for a short ride. I didn't realize how short it was going to be. About two miles from home on highway 50, a four lane state road, an eldery lady, 81 and deaf, decide to turn left from the right lane. I was in the inside lane and hit her in the drivers door at about 50 miles per hour. She and Chevy were okay but the Harley with 970 miles on it and I didn't fare so well. the bike was pretty much totaled. I was pretty much totaled too. According to the Police report after I hit her I flew 29 feet through the air until a stop sign did it's job it stopped me. I was life flighted to Kansas City to a trauma center . My pelvic bone is broken in sevral pieces, I hve several broke ribs, bruised kidney and liver, two pins in my left thumb to hold it in place and have lost some movement in my right shoulder. But, I'm alive and I probably shouldn't be after all that. I came home after a week in the hospital confined at first to a hospital bed and walker. I can now get around with a cane. Got some pretty good drugs too.
About a week after I got home the Harley dealer called and said he had a new White Pearl Ultra coming in unannounced and it wasn't spoken for. So the new bike is sitting down at the Harley shop waiting for me to mend. Hopefully by July we will be ready for another trip to Colorado or maybe Utah. We never once thought about not riding again. Well, I hope this wasn't too long or boring. Hope so see some of the good folks on this board out riding this summer.
Rod and Carlotta
Knob Noster, Missouri

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not long and definitely not boring. I’d use a word like inspirational. Hope you mend and can get out on the road soon.

Dave

·
old timer
516 Posts
Sorry for your sufferring. The wrongful part of it is that these people seldom if ever get charged for the carnage the cause.

There should be charges filed. If you 'accidentally' ran down a woman or child, you'd damn sure get charged so why is it that when we are the victims there are no charges filed.

In June of last year I was out for a morning ride with my best friend and a mile from his house an old couple turned left in front of us and took my partner head on...totalled his scooter and he is just now getting back to 'normal' after three surgeries.

They said that they didn't see us...how could you miss us !

manny

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
hyddoctor said:
an eldery lady, 81 and deaf,
rod, I hate to hear that you had to go through all of that with the accident. It sounds like the elderly lady was more like 81 and blind. I'm glad to hear that your recovery is near and you may be ready for Colorado by July. Mentioning Montrose sure brought back good memories. It's close to my favorite little town Ouray. I hope you took the scenic tour down Million Dollar Hiway. Being a flat lander, I was impressed.

I'm glad you have a wife that loves to ride. It makes motorcycles all that more fun with a wife that loves it too.

Later,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow nasty string of bad luck there, Hyd. Nice to see you are on the mend though. Pearl White bikes definitely make the heart go pitterpatter! Ride on, bro! Welcome aboard, and nice story!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rod,
Loved your story. Sorry about your accident but it seems you have an unconquerable spirit! Hope you will be riding your new bike real soon. Sounds like you have a wonderful wife. I am just now getting my wife of 20 years to ride on the back of my bike!

Since you grew up in Arkansas, "dirt poor" as you said, you would love John Grishoms new book, "A painted house". I just finished reading it. Couldn't put it down.

I was a photojournalist of sorts as well. Got my degree in photography and spent a couple years shooting pics for a small town newspaper in the mountains of Colorado before being lured to the big city where I became a tv news puke. I miss the hills of Colorado...but not this time of year!

Who did you shoot for? Post some pics of your bike when you pick it up.

Ride well and wave often.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great story. Sorry to hear about your misfortune my friend. I hope that your recovery is speedy and without too much pain. Unfortunately, these things happen all too often. My wife and I have seen the results of such accidents in the operating room too frequently. Thats the main reason she refuses to ride, but doesn't begrudge me the freedom and pleasure of my Harley. She always worrys, but most wives do. After riding for 25 years, I've only had a few "minor" accidents. I have been in the Army now for 26 years and plan on a few more before I finally pack it in. Maybe then I will have have the ability to travel like yourself. Welcome aboard and hope to see you here often. God speed in your recovery brother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts