V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , My name is Gary I am a 52 year old from Ct. . I have been riding motorcycles on and off since I was 14 . I have 2 sons (28 and 24) and have gone through the whole motocross thing with them . I have a 4 year old grandson who is riding a klx50 quad like a champ and is just starting to be able to handle a xr50 motorbike . I rode Harleys in my youth , the last one being a 1981 fxwg that I bought new in 82 . I did not ride when my children were growing up . I couldn't see risking an accident when the family needed me . I saw my sons through the whole dirtbike thing as they grew . When my oldest son decided to by a street bike about 8 years ago . I told my wife that I was going back to riding as well . I did not want to be on a waiting list nor pay the ridiculous prices that Harley was asking so I went with a muscle bike instead ( 1998 V-MAX ) . Once back on 2 wheels and having seen my boys through school and into jobs the custom bug bit. My first 2 builds were V-Max's pure straight line horsepower bikes . In the back of my mind Harley was always there , but price and availabilities kept me stubborn . I then discovered the Yamaha Warrior and built 2 of them with modified swingarms , 250 tires, raked 6 degrees , paint , and horsepower sweetbikes , but still not Harley , Next came Yamaha Roadstar's , I built 5 of them including 50's style , Low whitewalled gangsta style bagger, and an EXILE style bobber with a 180 front tire and a 240 rear tire in an unmodified swingarm and front end . No matter how sweet these bikes were there was no respect for them . But now thanks to the current economy I'm back on a Harley . I recently purchased a low mile 99 Fatboy for a very good price . Man things are different with the motoco since the early 80's . and totally different from what I have been building . Harley seems to be stingy with its information making it hard to find without paying for books on parts . The shop manual is kind of sketchy as well . When I get into a new bike I seek out forums and do a lot of research on what others have done . Than I like to find a good parts fiche and research parts interchangeability . The forums I have been lurking on (this one and V-Twin forum) seem to talk about 2000 and up . There is some but not a lot of info on 99 or earlier . At least that is what I find when doing searches , maybe I am not using the forums right . As far as a parts fiche , I have not been able to find one . Any how for those of you who have read all of this . Thank you . I hope to be getting to know many of you through these forums and enjoying what you all are doing to your bikes . One of the biggest things I am looking forward to is the camaraderie that goes along with riding a Harley . That kind of makes some of the hassle all worth it . You don't get that with other brands . Well thanks again . Oh Yea if anyone has a headlight wire for a 99 fatboy or equivalent they want to sell I sure could use it .- Gary Drown

· Registered
4,233 Posts
Hey Gary! Welcome from MA! You will surely find tons of info here, as well as some good members...

You may want to check ebay for parts...swap meets are usually good too. I know they still have them at Stafford Springs...though not sure if they have any more for this year...

Enjoy~Pat

· Retired Bubblehead
202 Posts
Welcome to the forum, neighbor.

Wes (in Colchester)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.