V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently looked at purchasing a new goldwing, however, after doing some research on the world's most bullet proof bike it has been determined that Honda did something wrong in the design. Most if not all bikes will overheat when ridden at 10-15 mph for a short while. Honda recently admitted that there was a possible problem with the bike but they continue to sell it without warning the new buyers of the problem. It should be illegal to sell someone a $16,000.00 knowing that it has a design problem without informing the customer. As of this date Honda still does not know what the problem is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too was looking at the 1800 Wings and took
one out for a ride. Nice bike, but friends of
mine who have 1800 Wings have the
overheating problem so I decided to keep the
1988 1500 Wing that I have now till they
fix the problem or I decide to get a newer
1500 Wing with less mileage on it. My
present one has 90,000 on it.
:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sure do ride nice but I too think I'm going to wait. They have set up a 1-800 number for goldwing owners so it must be a serious problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep hearing about the new goldwing overheating problem mostly from people who don't own one. I have had mine since they first came out in 01 ridden about 19000 mi. I have yet to have a overheating problem , I rode mine in several parades this summer pulling a trailer on some very hot days sorry no overheating. Honda sent me a letter in reference to this problem said they were talking about 1% of bikes were experencing this problem. I wouldn't let this stand in the way of purchasing a fantastic riding experence. Just my 02cents worth.

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
The Wing will not OH stuck in traffic or at idle, Only moving at speeds of 20-25 MPH, like a slow rolling freeway jam on a Hot day. A lot of people think OH is watching the temp gauge rise above the middle mark. Which for Wing riders is very rare on the previous model's. I have an 02 and When the gauge starts to rise (in Traffic in Summer) as long as I don't shift down and ride in First Gear, The gauge will stop rising and NOT move and higher. As soon as you get to speed it drps back to normal and stay's there.
My Ultra in the summer as Most of you know can be HOT and OH (pulling over) to let it cool down (get a soda :) is the same fix that honda has suggested in the mean time.
I don't commute on the Wing so we stay in the wind and my gauge has only risen twice in 12,000 miles. So its there just not that much of a big deal for a great Fast Ride!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had 2002 Illusion Blue Wing and put over 7K in 5 months and it shot to redline several times in slow moving traffic at about 10-15 mph. Supposedly the problem is the fans come on and blow air IN over the radiators and OUT the front of the fairing. At certain speeds or with a headwind the net airflow over the radiators is ZERO so the bike over heats. Goes back to normal really quick when you can get moving again but at low speeds thsi SUCKS!!!!! I got a sticker to put in my owners manual stating that at these speeds there MAY BE a problem that could result in overheating and they recommend pulkling over and letting the bike idle to cool off. 18K bike I can't ride in traffic? I am glad I sold the POS . Sent the addendum to the poor dude who bought the thing. Have had 2 other wings that were bulletproof (a '79 1000 and an '89 1500) so I have ridden them without problems. I would keep my 1500/6 if I were someone. The bike does handle better and is much faster than the 1500 but it seems to me to be cheaper in build and rides like crap compared to the 1500. The front end has crap compliance and will vibrate your hands off on stutter bumps or frostheaves on the freeway( have great excperience Regarding this phenomenon on the way to Sturgis,SD last year, numbed my hands!). Have never had any bike that had such noncompliant forks (I have had 12 other bikes before this Wing and ridden many others). Not som comfortable for someone with carpal tunnel...Oh well bring on the '03 Road Glide! Supposedly in about 3-4 weeks. I can't wait!!!
\John

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Me think this over heating thing is differant depending on who you talk to on the matter. Sure, some may not have a problom, then some do have it. Does some one want to plunk down $17,000 for a bike that MAYYYYYYYYYYYYY, I say MAYYYYYYYYY have the over heating problom??? I would think twice if it was me. Hell, Honda even says it MAYYYYYY over heat, so it must be true :eek: If yours does not do it, great but what about the others that have the problom. I had a 1500, 1988 Wing, loved it to death, I hope the Harley is the bike the Wing was :cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mdell2 said:
I recently looked at purchasing a new goldwing, however, after doing some research on the world's most bullet proof bike it has been determined that Honda did something wrong in the design. Most if not all bikes will overheat when ridden at 10-15 mph for a short while. Honda recently admitted that there was a possible problem with the bike but they continue to sell it without warning the new buyers of the problem. It should be illegal to sell someone a $16,000.00 knowing that it has a design problem without informing the customer. As of this date Honda still does not know what the problem is.
Have you read about HD and the famous twin cam bearing issue???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts