V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a new front fender on their bike?

I am thinking oubout getting a custom one, before I paint the bike.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
jrrhdmust said:
Has anyone put a new front fender on their bike?

I am thinking oubout getting a custom one, before I paint the bike.

Not a custom fender, but I did swap the stock fender on my 2005 FXDI for one of the older style FXR "full size" fenders that Harley-Davidson sells. The fenders come in primed or black, as my bike is black, it was no problem. Off with the old and on with the new in about 5 minutes. (You don't even need to remove the front tire.)

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Yup check out my profile pic. I cut it to the shape I wanted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
84FXRP said:
Not a custom fender, but I did swap the stock fender on my 2005 FXDI for one of the older style FXR "full size" fenders that Harley-Davidson sells. The fenders come in primed or black, as my bike is black, it was no problem. Off with the old and on with the new in about 5 minutes. (You don't even need to remove the front tire.)
love to see a pic of it

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
84FXRP said:
I posted a picture in the member gallery at.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4513&cat=500

The front fender is HD part 59007-84DH (Black), as a primed only piece it is pn 59007-73B. It is on the HD web site (parts) under Dyna.

The HD product description says "Fits '84-'03 XL, FX, FXR, and FXD models (except FXLR)." but it bolted right on my 2005 Dyna without any problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FXD Fender

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it would fit since I have a 2005 FXD as well. It looks real good in a retro sort of way. Did it take long after you ordered it?:thanks:
Thanks again,
Hell Razor

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hell Razor said:
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it would fit since I have a 2005 FXD as well. It looks real good in a retro sort of way. Did it take long after you ordered it?:thanks:
Thanks again,
Hell Razor
Took about a week to get in. If you get one, save the hardware when you remove the old fender.

Where the stock fender just lifts off, the new fender has to be "rolled" on because the top of the fork sliders are wide enough that the new fender won't just set down into position.

Lay the new fender down on the tire, positioning the bottom of the new fender just forward of the fork tubes. Then "roll" the new fender backwards into position. Re-attach the fender bolts and you are good to go.

I liked the look of my old 84 FXRP and wanted a full fender on my new FXD. This is an easy mod, no need to remove the front wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apes ot Buckhorns

84FXRP,
Thanks for the feedback on the fender, I'll be ordering that soon. I like the longhorn bars on your bike, I have Apes with a 8.75" rise I'm thinking about going to a 10" rise, or buckhorns. My daughters bonehead boyfriend droped my bike in the garage and It bent my bars. Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Hell Razor

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hell Razor said:
84FXRP,
Thanks for the feedback on the fender, I'll be ordering that soon. I like the longhorn bars on your bike, I have Apes with a 8.75" rise I'm thinking about going to a 10" rise, or buckhorns. My daughters bonehead boyfriend droped my bike in the garage and It bent my bars. Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Hell Razor
I originally was going to put HD's buckhorn bars on my 2005 but decided they were too narrow for me. The HD catalog has shape specs for all their bars and I used that as a reference point.

To choose my bars, I had my wife steady the bike upright as I sat on it. Then comfortably seated, with my feet on the pegs, I closed my eyes and extended my hands outward to a position that would feel comfortable when riding. I opened my eyes and noted the position of my hands relative to the stock bars. Then I looked through the catalog data reference for bars that would be close to the position I wanted. The longhorn bars were a pretty good fit for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apes or Buckhorns

Thanks for the info. If you get a chance can you post some pics of your bars in different angles.
Thanks again,
Hell Razor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts