V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
After months of waiting, the black '02 injected Fatboy came in I ordered and I took possession on Monday. What an experience that was, hope I don't repeat it anytime soon. Anyway to get a decent price on it I had to have installed about 1,300. in accessories of my choice, it didn't take long to reach that ceiling.
The usual stuff, removable backrest,rear pulley cover,floorboard inserts,driving lamps,tach with billet mount,security system...
What a nice ride it was bringing it home,tooling up I-95 keeping it at breakin 55 mph while cars and trucks are careening around me doing 75, that didn't bother me as much as the Mutha of all Thunderstorms crossed my path, I had to make a quick exit and hide under a gas station awning for 45 minutes.
So the new Fatboy is no longer a rain free virgin........oh well....with only 30 miles on the clock it got slightly damp....

I had requested the HD oil cooler to be installed during the uncrating, the dealer came back and said HD is having problems with their cooler???Any truth to this anyone?? I still think I need one, I live in South Florida. Any opinions?

Also I have purchased a set of V-H Longshots (I like the look) and also bought a couple of new header gaskets. What do I torque down these new pipes down to, or can I just snug them up tight and forget about torquing??

Thanks in advance for any insight...Chops

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats on the new scooter. Sounds great! Lets see some pics :) I haven't heard anything about the cooler problems, maybe someone else here can shed some light. I had the dealer put on the V & H straight shots before delivery. Sounds like with the hassle you got, they should have done the same for you. I'd ask them if they would be willing to do it for nothing. Doesn't hurt to ask. I also had the Stage 1 installed because the V & H are less restrictive pipes and affects the performance of the engine without the additional mod. After I had it done, I noticed much improvement in HP and throttle response. Mine is an EFI also and the chip needs to be reflashed as part of the Stage 1. Anyway, enjoy the ride brother and post often.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
chops said:
What do I torque down these new pipes down to, or can I just snug them up tight and forget about torquing??

Don't worry about th torque, just ratchet them down tightly without stripping the nuts.

Enjoy your scoot! V/H Longshots here, too. FYI: The top pipe (rear head pipe) will start to blu where the heat shields end and the pipe with baffle starts. I am still pissed about this and V/H basically said I was SOL.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the pipes:
I went ahead and installed the Longshots last night, good thing I bought the extra gaskets because the crush type that are used are a one time use.
The head pipes were not actually that tight from the factory: I was able to crank down on the nuts a quarter turn just to see how the MoCo had them.
It took ~3 hours and part of that time I had to go find and buy a Torx#50 drive .
They look beautiful- sound great.

Thanks Skydoc for your input, my plan is to get reflashed and a K&N filter at the 1k service , I wanted to put off on that part until I decided on a breather.
I'll either keep the stocker with K&N or ?? (I like the looks of the newer procharger and how it uses a large K&N, but they don't list a model for injected models.
My dealer would not touch aftermarket pipes, don't sell them and won't install them. Hope I don't need warranty service.I'll have to put the old stuff back on

dprice I'll keep an eye on the baffle transition - thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chops, What a rush picking up that new ride. Just did the same myself (02 RoadGlide) a couple of weeks ago.

Guess that FatBoy has to get used to geting wet in FLA sooner or later-----might as well be sooner.

Enjoy it.

Mike M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chops, I am moving from Hong Kong to San Antonio, Texas this month and hope to purchase a new FatBoy as soon possible. What is the deal in your post about "having to purchase $1300 in accessories to get a good price? Any lessons learned you can pass on will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, tnt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts