V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Vance & Hines BSS for my 06 Street Bob. The dealer told me they were shipping on the last day of March. My question is, am I going to need to get a new download or programmer to be able to run these?

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Most definetely. Are you just getting pipes and doing nothing to the air cleaner? Just curious as it would be a waste to not do the air cleaner. You will need some kind of download/program other wise the bike will be running very lean and that is not what you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree completely. I have the Python staggered on my bob, with the SE A/C and PCIII. This is about the perfect setup for these pipes. I did 85 miles today (in between snow storms) and it performs excellently with the PC map from their website. If you do the pipes, you'll definitely need the A/C and something for the EFI.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My question goes along with this, I plan on doing the exhaust and installing the SE stage 1 A/C. The dealer says it will cause some serious damage driving after the install before remapping it. Is this just something they say to so I have to pay for labor. Is this something I can do if I go with the SERT and do it myself. I have the mechanical ability to do it, but not so much the computer ability for the SERT.
I have an 06 FXDL and these will be my first modifications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StreetDennis what kind of map are you running? I looked at the PCIII website and they have a download for my exact setup, but Im not sure about running the 02 eliminator.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I installed SEII slip ons with stock air cleaner, no re-mapping at 700 miles. Runs great. Has 4500 miles now. Plugs look fine, runs fine.

Will install K/N air cleaner soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hayden, here is a link to a section of the forum that gives a good description of the SERT.

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=60576

For everyone else: I'm planning on installing V&H BSS with quiet baffles, along with the SERT and the SE air cleaner. The SERTs are on backorder until April 30th and I'm jonesin' for some pipes.

Will I cause any damage running the pipes now and installing the air cleaner and SERT later?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gary_L said:
Will I cause any damage running the pipes now and installing the air cleaner and SERT later?
azrider (posted above) and I have both done a SE II slip on muffler swap with no remap. I have nearly 7k miles on my bike with no codes or running issue. I monitored plugs and they read a normal 14 to 1 ratio light grey.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hayden said:
My question goes along with this, I plan on doing the exhaust and installing the SE stage 1 A/C. The dealer says it will cause some serious damage driving after the install before remapping it. Is this just something they say to so I have to pay for labor. Is this something I can do if I go with the SERT and do it myself. I have the mechanical ability to do it, but not so much the computer ability for the SERT.
I have an 06 FXDL and these will be my first modifications.
YES! you'll thank yourself later, by going with the SERT, especially if you plan on doing future mods. I just did this over the winter, new pipes, air cleaner, and SERT on my 05 FXDi. Do it all yourself, it's pretty easy. It shouldn't take you too long to get a base map uploaded and running...now tweaking the map, that's a different story. The SERT's a little intimidating at first, but there's enough information here on VTF, that you should be fine.
Go for it!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
streetdennis said:
I agree completely. I have the Python staggered on my bob, with the SE A/C and PCIII. This is about the perfect setup for these pipes. I did 85 miles today (in between snow storms) and it performs excellently with the PC map from their website. If you do the pipes, you'll definitely need the A/C and something for the EFI.
I have the same setup on my Wide Glide. I hear it sounds great, but I'll give my inputs in 4 days. I should also have a video up soon after that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts