V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion on weather or not these new regulations will go into effect this year ?? yes or no why ?

I hope most have done their part to get the Barcia bill passed and prevent the EPA from getting the new regulations put into effect.

Some predict this will change motorcycling as we know it, some simply don't believe this will effect them in anyway..
The H-D motor company and all manufactures of motorcycles are most likely looking forward to raping motorcyclist and will put many small repair shops out of business to capitalize on the market if these EPA regulations goes into effect.

I hope everyone knows what regulations I'm talking about if you plan on working on or putting any performance parts on your own scoot you had better !
I haven't seen anything in here about it so I figured maybe I better throw the first can of fuel on the fire.....Flame On !

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ???
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If we have a Nuclear War, the EPA will probably put that off for a couple a years. So, more than likely, we don't have to worry about The EPA.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think your wrong there. Those SOB's are out to get rid of bikes anyway they can.
Got a Email from ABATE their talking about taking up a collection for MRF. See below. Figure the study will cost $11,000. So if all the states pitch in it should be covered.
Join ABATE MRF And AMA and help keep these SOB's out of our faces.
12-11-2002

02NR33 - MRF Launches Economic Impact Study of Proposed EPA Highway Motorcycle Rule
MRF E-MAIL NEWS
Motorcycle Riders Foundation
P.O. Box 1808
Washington, DC 20013-1808
202-546-0983 (voice)
202-546-0986 (fax)
[email protected] (e-mail)
http://www.mrf.org (website)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 11, 2002

#02NR33 - MOTORCYCLE RIDERS FOUNDATION LAUNCHES ECONOMIC IMPACT STUDY OF PROPOSED EPA HIGHWAY MOTORCYCLE RULE

Backed solely by donations and pledges received in the last few days, the Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF) announced today the launch of a major study on the economic impact of the highway motorcycle emissions standards proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The study will be completed by December 31, 2002 - in time for incorporation into public comments on the EPA's proposed rule by the MRF and State Motorcyclists' Rights Organizations (SMROs) nationwide.

"A competent economic analysis is an indispensable tool in tackling the EPA threat," said Nathan "Buck" Kittredge, MRF President. "We will use this study not only in the regulatory process but also in any legislative remedy we seek in the 108th Congress that convenes in January 2003."

The MRF selected Dr. Garrett Vaughn to conduct the study. An economist, Dr. Vaughn studied the EPA's proposed off-road emissions rule last year for the Mercatus Center, which is the education, research and outreach organization at George Mason University.

"The purpose of the study is to test whether the EPA has supported its highway motorcycle rule with an economic benefit-cost analysis as required by Executive Order 12866," said Tom Wyld, MRF Vice President for Government Relations. "Among other issues, Dr. Vaughn will check the EPA's estimates and look into the cost of the rule - not only to riders, but to the vast network of small motorcycle businesses from the aftermarket and independent shops to small-volume motorcycle makers and franchised dealers."

Dr. Vaughn will also look at California - inspiration for EPA's tough emissions standards - and seek to answer a simple question: what factors caused the depression of motorcycle registrations in California at a time when motorcycling skyrocketed in 49 other states?

"The high cost of this important study is being born by riders alone," Buck Kittredge added. "For the MRF and our supporters across the country, this is an unplanned budget requirement. Yet, in the last few days, riders and SMROs stepped forward to help the MRF do what's necessary and right, and we thank them all for digging deep and contributing."

The MRF and SMROs nationwide urge you to contribute to this important effort. Simply mail a check for your donation made payable to the MRF at P.O. Box 1808, Washington, DC 20013. Please mark your check, "FREEDOM FIGHTER - EPA STUDY."

<<30>>
- MRF: My Ride is Freedom -

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I wouldn't underestimate the capabilities of the people in the aftermarket.
They might put some of the homewrenching out of business, but then they already have done that. People learn to deal with new challenges, there is always a way.
In parts of AZ we have annual motorcycle emissions inspections. They are inconvenient but not a technical challenge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HIPPO said:
I wouldn't underestimate the capabilities of the people in the aftermarket.
Absolutely as the hotrodders had to adapt when the EPA began in the seventies it looked like all was comming to an end in the early eightys. But the aftermarket is bigger than ever.

But that is why I sold all the hotrod stuff and figured my H-D is my last little bit of freedom.

What next my John Deer mower ? LOL

Thanks for the post FLHT, I'm right with ya man !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hippo, I'm curious about the motorcycle emissions inspections. Here in CA they sell bikes laden with all sorts of emissions crap. But since they don't inspect, all mine "fell off" on the way home from the dealer. Bumpy damned roads....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The people running the equipment aren't geniuses. LOL
They simply run the bike and measure emissions, if the emissions are in spec the bike passes. They actually are doing people a favour from a performance point of view as the bikes run at their best within the parameters.

All these programs don't do a damn thing for clean air, they are a revenue enhancement thing for the states and allow the manufacturers to hike prices. Just like any other regulation.

Even on OBDII cars where they scan the computers you simply plug in modules that make the PCM's give the readings they want to see.

If they were serious they wouldn't exempt the people that drive old neglected pieces of **** without insurance.

You can fight them which is real boring or beat them at their own game.

·
Registered
69 Posts
from what i have been able to track down the changes coming will probably start with the '05 models and some stuff has stated all would be in place by '10. The EPA is concerned that as the registration numbers keep going up the contribution by motorcylcles will go up. look at the boating industry i don't think anyone makes a two-stroke outboard anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts