V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my final planning process for my build, I again revisited the idea of just buying a new engine with a warranty as opposed to building my stocker.

The build for my old stocker w/59k miles would run me around $1650 (give or take depending on my head work I go with). That's top end only.. The bottom end remains stock, which concerns me a little. The builder will give me a 1yr unlimited warranty.

I came across a couple engines for some pretty good prices that got me wondering. The 1st engine is a 96" complete engine. It makes 96hp and 103tq on the dyno. (has ignition, new carb, etc)
It's more of a midrange power maker than a whole shot shooter due to the cam and heads that were put in it. Anyway, it comes with a 1yr unlimited warranty and I can get it for about $2800.00

The second is a 97" S&S engine (blacked out night train style) complete with ignition and new carb. It makes 99hp and 100tq on the dyno.
This is a nicer "looking" engine, with a 2yr warranty, but costs about $4k.

Anyway, have any of you pondered this thought and if so, what did you end up deciding, and what made you decide on what you decided?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
BadTwin said:
In my final planning process for my build, I again revisited the idea of just buying a new engine with a warranty as opposed to building my stocker.

The build for my old stocker w/59k miles would run me around $1650 (give or take depending on my head work I go with). That's top end only.. The bottom end remains stock, which concerns me a little. The builder will give me a 1yr unlimited warranty.

I came across a couple engines for some pretty good prices that got me wondering. The 1st engine is a 96" complete engine. It makes 96hp and 103tq on the dyno. (has ignition, new carb, etc)
It's more of a midrange power maker than a whole shot shooter due to the cam and heads that were put in it. Anyway, it comes with a 1yr unlimited warranty and I can get it for about $2800.00

The second is a 97" S&S engine (blacked out night train style) complete with ignition and new carb. It makes 99hp and 100tq on the dyno.
This is a nicer "looking" engine, with a 2yr warranty, but costs about $4k.

Anyway, have any of you pondered this thought and if so, what did you end up deciding, and what made you decide on what you decided?
Thanks
I am no tech freak, but if I could buy a complete twin cam straight up that made 96/103 for $2800 outright, there wouldn't be any question, I'd have it in my garage already!

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Me, I'd always build my own - well not all - some of it I can't do and would give to someone who actually knows what they are doing, but you get the general idea :D

But then for me, the knowledge is half the fun. The other half being riding something you know :D

Pete

PS: Nice avi - How is old Jerry holding up these days, an' who was that big guy ? :D :D :D

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
BadTwin said:
Thanks
Why do things halfway...just do what "Wyo" did...shoehorn a "Jim's" 120 in there and be done with it...OH, you mean you have a budget somewhat smaller than NYC...:laugh:

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
OH, you mean you have a budget somewhat smaller than NYC...:laugh:
Hey, man, some of us are poor :gun: :gun: :gun:

:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any resale value issues with going with an aftermarket engine as opposed to building the stocker and keeping the numbers matching?
That can matter quite a bit in the musclecar arena, so that is a concern of mine with the Harleys..

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
BadTwin said:
Are there any resale value issues with going with an aftermarket engine as opposed to building the stocker and keeping the numbers matching?
That can matter quite a bit in the musclecar arena, so that is a concern of mine with the Harleys..

a bike is usually a little different than a car.
most of the time if you change out the engine in a car you wouldn't go to the dmv to register the engine to the car but with a bike it seems like most if not all states require the bike be inspected with the new motor and have it noted on the title as a replacement.
i would think that it would have an impact on the value since at that point it is not all HD as there are a lot of people that put quite a bit of value in it being a factory engine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BadTwin said:
A friend put an Ultama in his evo bagger. Sucker was fast. He quit riding it and has been road racing 500 cc clase. Now he has a hard to sell none number matching bike and extra motor. I told him to put back the original and try selling the ultama and bike.

Why are they selling the used engines? They couldn't get much more for their bike with the hot engine!? And there is the issue, HOT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts