V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running the Edelbrock heads? If so, are you using an Andrews 37G cam? What kind of dyno did you pull if you did one after?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I loved them on my EVO, they ran very good. I have never herd anything,
good, bad or otherwise regarding Twin Cam heads. Sorry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
33 Posts
I cannot really give any direct insight to the twin cam heads, but I have used A LOT of Edelbrock part on various cars and all of their products have been top notch. I think that the Performer RPM manifold has to be one of the most prolific small block manifolds ever made, and it got that way for a reason. They are not always the cheapest, but the quality is pretty darn good. I would not hesitate to use their stuff on my Harley.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about Edelbrock cycle products...but theres only a few I've read of who've tried them. The issue always boils down to money. They want too much for their parts. For the price of one set of their heads, you could have three sets of stock heads professionally ported for the cam you choose instead of a "one size fits all" port job.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seahag said:
I've never heard anything bad about Edelbrock cycle products...but theres only a few I've read of who've tried them. The issue always boils down to money. They want too much for their parts. For the price of one set of their heads, you could have three sets of stock heads professionally ported for the cam you choose instead of a "one size fits all" port job.
This is true but there port design has me interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,232 Posts
Bill,

A guy in our area has them and says his bike runs strong. We haven't ridden together yet, so I don't know how strong. He went with the whole Edelbrock 95" kit.

Beside cost, the only downside I've heard with Edelbrock is that the ports have a different shape and so require Edelbrock gaskets. If you break, you might have to wait a few days for them. Then again - if you break that bad, you'll probably be waiting anyway. Edelbrock quality is supposed to be outstanding.


GC
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FXDRYDR said:
Bill,

A guy in our area has them and says his bike runs strong. We haven't ridden together yet, so I don't know how strong. He went with the whole Edelbrock 95" kit.

Beside cost, the only downside I've heard with Edelbrock is that the ports have a different shape and so require Edelbrock gaskets. If you break, you might have to wait a few days for them. Then again - if you break that bad, you'll probably be waiting anyway. Edelbrock quality is supposed to be outstanding.


GC
GC,
Do you know if he dyno'd the bike? Is he running EFI?

That is one of the reasons why I like the Edelbrock heads is the difference in the port design. But if the low end torque drops off then I won't be using them.

Oh and as you can see I am still researching. :roflback: I have until December to make up my mind on which way I will go. Might as well do plenty of research. The one thing that is settled is the 98" kit. Cams are down to 37G or TW-5G. With either one I think I will be going for the RevPerf Roller rockers and will be going with their lifters.

The head pipes, which ever way I go, will be ceramic coated.

Then I have until the 28th of Feb to decide if I will go with the Terminal Velocity II or the Daytona-TwinTec (with two O2 sensors).

Bill
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
TP use's there head and the square port set up does not really work down low like a smaller port and then it fail to really flow at the big end. I have done several tps that really came to life with porting. For the money for the head you have other options, no if you can get them for the cost of a set of t/c takes off jump on them, they do have there own intake set up, and it is all there own parts so getting parts is not as easy as going to a hd shop. I have not worked on them with a t/c but too many evos to count. So my working with them has been on evos inthe 100 range and up
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HDWRENCH said:
TP use's there head and the square port set up does not really work down low like a smaller port and then it fail to really flow at the big end. I have done several tps that really came to life with porting. For the money for the head you have other options, no if you can get them for the cost of a set of t/c takes off jump on them, they do have there own intake set up, and it is all there own parts so getting parts is not as easy as going to a hd shop. I have not worked on them with a t/c but too many evos to count. So my working with them has been on evos inthe 100 range and up
Mine will be for a 2005 EFI TwinCam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,232 Posts
wkohn said:
GC,
Do you know if he dyno'd the bike? Is he running EFI?

That is one of the reasons why I like the Edelbrock heads is the difference in the port design. But if the low end torque drops off then I won't be using them.

Oh and as you can see I am still researching. :roflback: I have until December to make up my mind on which way I will go. Might as well do plenty of research. The one thing that is settled is the 98" kit. Cams are down to 37G or TW-5G. With either one I think I will be going for the RevPerf Roller rockers and will be going with their lifters.

The head pipes, which ever way I go, will be ceramic coated.

Then I have until the 28th of Feb to decide if I will go with the Terminal Velocity II or the Daytona-TwinTec (with two O2 sensors).

Bill
Oops!! Sorry Bill, I missed this.

As far as I know, he hasn't dyno'd it yet. I'm trying to get him out on my preferred LBD - and I'll let you know if I succeed this season. I do believe he's running EFI.

As for rollers - they're a good thing for the Woods 5 - but sounds like overkill with the 37s. You might be better served spending the $$ on something else.

RevPerf parts - I know Wrench will personally stand behind what he sells you and if he recommends them, I'd have no worries. I'm running S&S rollers and RevPerf lifters - no issues with anything. Runs like a sumbitch.

FWIW - Remember, whatever you decide - there are many paths to glory. So long as the components are good quality, matched correctly and assembled well - you're splitting hairs and will be satisfied any way you go. Also - note that paper results can vary. IE - someone can have a dyno that shows 5.6 more foot pounds coming on 300 rpm earlier, and not that you might be prone to doing this :D , but one can get all spooled up re-thinking and analyzing the whole build. Given the differences in dyno runs, I would ask "so what?" Plus - there are so many unknown variables -- you can never get an accurate view anyhow so in the end - all the analysis doesn't matter.

GC's rules of thumb: LBD for everything, and there are different LBDs. Listen to those with direct experience. Don't sweat the load. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I used Edelbrock heads on my 95 inch 2001 FLHR from April 2001 to Sept 2003. At that time there were not many TC parts out yet, let alone cam choices and I went with S&S 570Gs, S&S adjustable push rods and Crane roller rockers. The bike is a carb model and I went with the S&S Super E carb. Ignition was the Crane Hi4-TC and pipes were stock headers with White Bros slip ons. Compression was just over 10.2:1. Can't find the dyno sheets anymore but I do remember that it made something like 101 Hp and about 103 tq... I was very happy with the heads and the rest of the setup. The bike went well and as long as I used 91 or higher octane it didn't ping..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I am a sales rep for Edelbrock Motorcycle Products. I would like to add a couple of things

Cost is mentioned in many discussions and for good reason. I know I look for the best values when I buy anything. Take the Edelbrock EFI Power Package. Retail price is about $2500. I have seen Jireh Cycle mentioned here and a price of about $1800. To use this kit a rider needs an exhaust and a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner or a Power Commander. Thats all. The kit is compatible with Daytona Twin Tec, Zippers or other ECU's but Edelbrock has 35+ free maps for the SERT and Dyno Jet has a dozen or so for the PC. The maps alone can save you a bundle on tuning.

The Packages are designed to make very good torque and horsepower in an RPM range where most people really ride. Do they make the biggest peak numbers around? No. They will make very good usable power in a combination that will really live on pump gas. Cold Cranking Compression will be 180 lb. with these kits. They start with stock starters and batteries, no hassles.

American Thunder just aired a show on March 7th with a complete 95 EFI Edelbrock install, done by Wink Eller. The bike made 104 hp and 94 ft lbs with a vance and hines pro pipe. The kit is a straight forward bolt on and you can either bore your stock cylinders or buy a set ready to go. This is a good show if you can catch it. This same show had a Jims 120 motor install that made 112 hp and 115 tq. Compare the finished installed prices and look at the HP per Dollar.

Hot Bike magazine did a review on an Edelbrock EFI Duece and dynoed it at 106 hp and 101 ft lbs with Cycle Shack 2 into 2 pipes. look up this article and the dyno chart

As with all builds the pipe will have an effect on power and where it comes in. The 2 into 1 usually have the nicest torque curve, but there are many good pipes out there.

Wkohn The 98 kit would work well with the rest of the Edelbrock package. if you are going to do this i would be happy to give you a list of part numbers so that you don't buy the kit and have left over 95 pistons. The cam choice is very important and I would still recommend the Edelbrock cams. I think the 37 or the 5 would close the intake too soon and put cranking pressure up higher than you would want. I rode Edelbrocks 95 EFI Bagger 2400 miles to Sturgis this year and loved it. Tons of power even loaded for a trip. No problems with altitude, fuel or anything. I just ran it hard the whole trip and never gave it a thought. Let me know if you have any questions.

One thing always seems to be a concern to some riders is the Square intake port and Square gaskets. My advice to people is that if you are worried about the square gasket being hard to find then carry a set with you. They are not hanging in every shop like round ones but they are stocked by the warehouses and usually available in 1 day. In a pinch I have had customers use round ones and stretch them on. Not my first choice but it will work. In the 10 years that I have run Edelbrock heads I have never needed a set on the road. That includes riding to Sturgis, Milwaukee, Laconia and other long trips.

Thanks,John
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks John.

I would be interested in those part number for an EFI. Don't need extra parts and really like the 98" kit.

Thanks again,
Bill
 

·
Seasoned Prime Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
wkohn said:
Thanks John.

I would be interested in those part number for an EFI. Don't need extra parts and really like the 98" kit.

Thanks again,
Bill
I've never been a fan of 'out of the box heads' be they Edelbrock, S&S, Screamin Eagle, Delkron.......I think there's just too many good head guys out there. Especially if your set on the Andrews 37 cam. There are way to many combo's, tried and true for that cam. Talk to some of the guys like GMR, Dewey's, Underground.....etc. I say use a set of their heads and spend the extra on something else. Just my -2$en#e-
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RoadKingCurley said:
I've never been a fan of 'out of the box heads' be they Edelbrock, S&S, Screamin Eagle, Delkron.......I think there's just too many good head guys out there. Especially if your set on the Andrews 37 cam. There are way to many combo's, tried and true for that cam. Talk to some of the guys like GMR, Dewey's, Underground.....etc. I say use a set of their heads and spend the extra on something else. Just my -2$en#e-
I'm just using the 37G because there are so many dynos out there with different heads that it would make it easier to compare them to all the others. I talked with Steve at GMR about using the 31G and he said he has seen some good strong build done with that cam. That is more than likely the cam I will be going with. I do though still have a nagging feeling about some of the cams and the heads from www.head-quarters.com
 

·
Seasoned Prime Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
wkohn said:
I'm just using the 37G because there are so many dynos out there with different heads that it would make it easier to compare them to all the others. I talked with Steve at GMR about using the 31G and he said he has seen some good strong build done with that cam. That is more than likely the cam I will be going with. I do though still have a nagging feeling about some of the cams and the heads from www.head-quarters.com
You can't go wrong with Head Quarters! Of course I am biased and I'll admit it!! Do yourself a favor and give Doug a call before you make a desiscion (sp). He's a great guy to talk to and he won't bullsh!t you to make a sale. They're busy as hell and don't need to.
Terry C. you can chime in any time you want!!
Good luck in what ever you decide. :whatever:
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RoadKingCurley said:
You can't go wrong with Head Quarters! Of course I am biased and I'll admit it!! Do yourself a favor and give Doug a call before you make a desiscion (sp). He's a great guy to talk to and he won't bullsh!t you to make a sale. They're busy as hell and don't need to.
Terry C. you can chime in any time you want!!
Good luck in what ever you decide. :whatever:
I have until December 2006 which is when I start my build (just as long as the auto industry picks up here).
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top