V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been reading all the different posts on the new closed loop fuel injection, and to be honest, it scares the crap out of me. I'm in the market for a new Harley. I love the Wide glide and all the improvements, but this new fuel injection sounds like a pain in the butt. I have a new Night Train on order, just because I could still get it with a carb, but my first love is the Wide Glide. I am NOT a computer geek, but I always have, and always will change the pipes and a/c on my bike. From what I have heard, and read I can't tell what's fact or fiction. Depends on who I'm talking to at the time on what answer I get. Some say you can change these and not do a thing, others say no, only the pipes or a/c, not both. Then some say the stage 1 download is worth it and then others say it's crap. Can anyone out there help me make an informed decision on which to buy. Oh, I forgot to mention, they have a new Wide Glide on the floor. Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
just a thought

If you're that worried about it, why not just get a leftover 05? It seems that quite a few dealerships still have 05 carry overs in stock. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it that much. The aftermarket is sure to come up with good products to address the latest generation of EFI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, I like all the new upgrades they have done to the Wide Glide, except the fuel injection.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok

That being the case, I'd say just get the thing. I don't think the changes to the FI will present that much of a problem. In fact, I believe there's already a Power Commander available for the 06 Dynas that can help tune for any pipe/ac changes you make.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah but, orangetj there in lies the problem. Right here in this forum I have read don't go with the power commander because it eliminates the o2 sensors. So there is a question, is that a good thing or not? I want to here from everyone who has a 06 Dyna and already experimented with different stuff and try to weed out all the bad. Then there is the carb, change the pipes and the a/c, tweak the jet and you are good to go. I guess what I'm asking is is all the extra hassle worth it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok

I don't think anybody can answer the question of whether it's "worth the hassle" but you. You've already said you want the changes that come on the new WG and you are therefore not interested in an 05. The only way to get the new stuff on a carb bike is to buy a carb bike and modify it heavily. In my opinion, changing the rake & forks, changing the fenders, changing the transmission to a 6 speed, etc, is way more hassle than dealing with the new FI system.

I stand by my statement that I have no doubt that the aftermarket will come up with good products to tweak the new FI - it ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's not that big of a deal. There are enough "toys" out there to add fuel to a FI bike if you are going to change pipes & A/C. It sounds like you don't want to be steered toward the FI. If that's the case, get the Night Train. But if your hearts set on the WG, by all means get the 2006. The changes are well worth the learning curve of a FI bike. I'm new to FI bikes and honestly, it's not that bad of a thing...yet. Wait till they start installing cats on our bikes then it will start to really suck. Either way, never mind the fuel system, which bike do you really want?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cats

CA Harleys already have catalysts in the pipes...no big deal to get rid of them. Since it's already technically illegal to "alter" the stock exhaust system or replace it with one that makes more noise, whether or not there's a cat in it makes little difference to me. BMW's have had cat-cons for years, too, and it hasn't caused any issues that weren't already present with FI.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Get used to EFI on all bikes, Sportsters are next. Harley, in my opinion has one of the best EFI systems out there. This is a new bike from top to bottom. Give the aftermarket a year or two to come out with mods and such.

I LOVE this bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
CA Harleys already have catalysts in the pipes...no big deal to get rid of them.
BMW's have had cat-cons for years, too, and it hasn't caused any issues that weren't already present with FI.
I thought only the "tourers" had cats in them? I know you guys in CA have the canister up front on your new Dynas.

I agree, cats don't "cause" any additional problems, they just ROB POWER. They tend to defeat a free flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like my 06 Dyna, bob. I feel as some time progrsses that the O2 sensors will get even better. The aftermarket will come out with others and the puter to handel it.

With the carbed ones I have had they always had to be rejeted for winter, then summer running. Then they had to be rejetted right off the floor. This new one I have not had to redo. It has only popped on me once in 4000 miles. She runs great in 20 degree temps as well as 100 dgrees. Gas mileage is good also. It got better on gas than my older sporty by about ahalf gallon every fill.

The one thing that seems to be wrong to me is the tranny overgeared. You will want to be 65 MPH or better till a shift to 6th. But, maybe if primary was back to the old gearing it would be to easy to hold the front end up from a stop light.

Handels and rides like a dream. As good a ride as my wing. I have forward controlls and floor boards. These get scrapped alot on curves. Then for night time you hook a strap of steel on and shower the sparks. Lots of fun when riding in front of others. Scares em also.LOL.

The new Dynas will be ok after some more development by the aftermarket. The EPA rules may interfer with some of this. I feel if you keep a stock looking bike with a quiet exhaust, then change it back for inspections one will get by. Keep the factory stuff for inspections, then replace with the other stuff two hours later at home.

Engine pulls great. Time will tell if they will last. Will see if this one can get into the 100 tho mile range like most of my bikes do.

·
Registered
454 Posts
original_junior said:
I thought only the "tourers" had cats in them? I know you guys in CA have the canister up front on your new Dynas.

I agree, cats don't "cause" any additional problems, they just ROB POWER. They tend to defeat a free flowing exhaust.
My 05 Dyna had a catalyst in the front muffler and it looks like all 06's have cats in the mufflers. I know that in theory they should rob power, but on an otherwise close to stock bike, I bet the loss is tiny. I know that on BMW's with cats, the cat had maybe a 1-2% impact on power. Lots of guys removed the cats and replaced them with an open pipe, adjusted FI accordingly and got 1-3 hp for their efforts. Insignificant, IMO, and almost irrelevant since none of the aftermarket pipes have the cats in them anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love my '06 Super Glide. It runs great and I have not had a single issue. I also like to fact that I do not need to screw around with a choke.

'06 Super Glide

1 - 14 of 14 Posts