V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My next upgrade will be installation of a twelve volt outlet. That's what the two .250" holes in the handlebar risers are four. Here's a pic of my outlet. It's got places for four 10-32 screws to mount it to a bracket. The 1 1/4"x1/4" T6 Aluminum angle bar stock is what I'll make the bracket out of. Stand by!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Here's the 12 volt outlet bracket after I sawed it off the bar stock, drilled 2 1/4" holes in it and then machined it down. Actually this is my second attempt at this. The first piece had a malfunction in the vice on my Index mill and it had a big gouge in it. It wasn't scrapped out so I continued on it. But then when I finished I realized I'd screwed up because the leads on the back of the outlet were hitting the speedometer! So I had to start over and make a mirror image part!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was contacted by a guy making a plate to mount the power plug down under the coil, and he sent me one to "test". It works great! I have been considering getting another for up on the handlebars, though I don't really need it, since the RAM-X phone holder I picked up has a USB port in it for keeping the phone charged while I'm riding. If that's what you want the power plug for, you might consider that idea instead. The RAM-X phone holder can be picked up for less than $15 on eBay, and it holds my Google Pixel XL just fine. I've even taken video while riding with it, and others have said it looks as good or better than their GoPro!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I like my 12 volt outlets up on either the handlebars or somewhere on the front of the bike. In addition to using it for charging my cellphone while I ride I also use it to power my heated vest in cooler weather.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here I've completed all the machining on my 12 volt bracket components. I had to make it out of 2 pieces because I didn't have a piece of aluminum big enough to fabricate it from a single piece. All I have to do now is assemble the components and file down some screws which are too long.

·
Registered
16,121 Posts
Awesome work.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not one for add-on accessories, but that bracket looks to be very well made. And depending on placement should look and function good on the bike.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I've still got to hook up the leads to my outlet. I've got a minifuse holder I'll splice into the circuit and hook it directly to my battery. I'll be using a 15 amp fuse because that's what you're supposed to use on my Beemer electric vest. More on this later.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here's my next project. It's my digital volt meter. The piece .053" stainless [approx. 18 guage] is for the mounting bracket. I'm pretty sure I can use the piece of angle aluminum I had to disgard because the speedometer was interfering to bolt to the left handlebar riser. Not much of the gouge in it will be visible when it's bolted up. The off-on switch will be wired into the hot circuit so I can turn off the voltmeter so it won't run down my battery.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts