V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I screwed up and didn't get the pics in the right order! My bad! Here's the pick of Red sporting the 13.5" standard FXD shocks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
More pimping! I found this air cleaner cover on Ebay. It was a good deal so I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Got in from a 114 mi. run on Red. The new shocks are sprung too soft and Red bottomed on some railroad tracks again. However these 13.5"'s are better then the original 12" shocks and do have a little more ground clearance. I wasn't expecting any miracles from a stock H-D Showa shock. After the run I decided they'll do until I finally figure out what replacement shocks to put on Red next. Also Red went on reserve today at 143 miles. Not that great but I can live with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Bah, Humbug! My shocks which had H-D 54566-97 on them seem to be for a Sportster and thus Red is too lightly sprung. So i't back to the drawing board. I found two pairs of used shocks on my garage shelf. One set was a 13.5" Progressive Suspension 418 shocks. These I ran on my FXR for a while. Not sure why I took them off. The second set was a pair of PS 14.5" black 412 but these were run on my Sportster so they'll be to soft as well! I'm going to call PS and find out if I can get some Dyna springs to put on them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got my Dyna back from Junction City Cycles yesterday. I had them swap out my shocks which turned out to be Sportster shocks which are woefully undersprung for a Dyna, with a pair of 13.5" Progressive Suspension 418's which have adjustable rebound dampening. Pics to come.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's a pic of Red taken today. In addition to the PS 418 shocks I've installed my highway pegs which were some el cheapo imports I got off of Ebay. You can see the PS 418 shocks. Incidentally these are apparently heavy duty. They were on the shelf in my garage and I forgot why I took them off my FXR. The Dyna now seems to be slightly oversprung in the rear but nothing I can't live with. While Red was at Junction City Cycles they installed a new Fueling camplate and oil pump, new S&S 509C cam set. It's just a mild bolt in cam but I could notice the slight increase in horsepower and torque. I also got a set of stock headers with some aftermarket mufflers [not Screamin' Eagle]. Red's much more quieter now. Also they installed a Pingle petcock and a new used horn. My old horn was shot! I've put several hundred miles on Red and no oil pressure problems but I wasn't expecting any.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here's a close up of the Progressive Suspension 13.5" 418 shocks. My mechanic had a hard time installing the right lower mounting bolt because of interference from the rear muffler! Any longer shock would have required dismounting the rear muffler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your 05 is a twin to my 04.
I just got mine about a month back as well.
I have it slated for some black powder coating this winter, as well as some other mods.
Nice scoot. This here's my girl.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hmm, it appears my front rotor is warped! I noticed that when I brake real hard the front end starts hopping! Never had this happen on a bike before. Several of my bros said that my front rotor is probably warped. So I put magic marker lines on the rotor's wear marks and sure enough, they wore off unevenly! So I'll just buy two new rotors whenever my right hand slider comes in at BlueGrass H-D. They've been having trouble getting my slider. H-D keeps send one without the right hand caliper mounts instead of the low rider slider.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts