V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Wow it came with luggage. Were the clothes your size? lol. You are going to hate that noise in about 6 months. Put an earplug in your right ear and it will be bearable.

tarheel

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Drag Pipes

The Drag Pipes are too loud! They're set for an engineering change! I once ran drag pipes on Mad Max, my FXR, and I could immediately notice a loss of horse power. When I put the old pipes back on I regained my horsepower. Anyhow I'll probably just buy a set of Supertrapp 2 into 1's. These can be tuned by adding or removing baffles to get optimum performance. Also I'm well aware that when you're sitting in traffic or behind someone with straight pipes in a poker run line the noise can be deafening and painful! I always run ear plugs anyway to protect from wind noise. I've already got hearing loss! They say the wind noise is harder on bikers' ears then straight pipes. Here's a pic of the SuperTrapp add display of a Dyna running the 2 into 1 pipes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There must be different versions of that pipe. I have an S. E. badged version and it extends back past the end of the swingarm, covering the axle. The only problem with that is I have to remove it every time I pull the rear wheel. I treat it as a one piece, but I guess you could just remove the megaphone and leave the head pipes attached.

As far as tuning, I have 19 or 20 discs, whatever came with the pipe and an open end cap I picked up from SuperTrapp. It creeps me out every year when I put on the closed cap to go for annual safety inspection. I recall something like an 11 HP difference least discs and closed cap to most and open cap.

This pipe replaced a Thunderheader that was OK, louder, but sucked the end of the vacuum cap off the backside of the Mikuni every so often.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Harley horns suc as they do on most other brands. I had a GW that had a loud beep. What the hell is a big touring bike have a beep beep for? I kicked my butt a few times for not buying Howard's Horns when they were on sale.

tarheel

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here I've started pimping out Red, my new ride. I installed a new battery cover and put the H-D decal on it. Then I bought a chromed Willy G half skull derby cover. I'm now second guessing my self about buying a Punisher skull derby but they mostly wanted too much money for them. I found all sorts on Ebay!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There must be different versions of that pipe. I have an S. E. badged version and it extends back past the end of the swingarm, covering the axle. The only problem with that is I have to remove it every time I pull the rear wheel. I treat it as a one piece, but I guess you could just remove the megaphone and leave the head pipes attached.
The next time your axle is out put it back in from the left side and the nut on the right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mid controls Installed

I took off the forward controls. They're getting replaced with a pair of highway pegs. Those are supposed to be in the mail. More on this later. Anyhow forward control IMO are crappy for long runs because they make you put much more weight on your ass and so it gets sorer faster! With mid controls your legs should be giving you some support taking some of the stress off your ass or at least that's the theory. After installation of the mid controls I took Red down to Beaver Dam Kentucky and back for a 127 mi. test run. The shifter's working properly and engaging neutral properly and the rear brake was stopping just like before so I reckon the changeover was a success.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I took off the forward controls. They're getting replaced with a pair of highway pegs. Those are supposed to be in the mail. More on this later. Anyhow forward control IMO are crappy for long runs because they make you put much more weight on your ass and so it gets sorer faster! With mid controls your legs should be giving you some support taking some of the stress off your ass or at least that's the theory. After installation of the mid controls I took Red down to Beaver Dam Kentucky and back for a 127 mi. test run. The shifter's working properly and engaging neutral properly and the rear brake was stopping just like before so I reckon the changeover was a success.

Mine came with Mid Controls and that's the way I like it for my Riding Style and Age as Well ..

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Here I've started pimping out Red, my new ride. I installed a new battery cover and put the H-D decal on it. Then I bought a chromed Willy G half skull derby cover. I'm now second guessing my self about buying a Punisher skull derby but they mostly wanted too much money for them. I found all sorts on Ebay!

LOL!!!! It's a sickness! Ask me how I know... :shout:

·
Registered
413 Posts
The next time your axle is out put it back in from the left side and the nut on the right.
Pulling the pipes is no big deal, about the easiest part of pulling the rear wheel. 2 nuts here, 2 nuts there, 1 nut there, 2 nuts there and it's leaning up against the wall. Maybe 5 minutes or so. It takes more time to put it on the lift.
I tried once swapping ends, the castle nut on the other end, being bigger than the head of the axle, rubs on the inside of the muffler. I guess I could tweak the pipe out some, but I don't want to stress it or the rear mounting bracket..
Didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about doing it. Even though I'm getting old, and can't hardly see up close, I still enjoy working on it about as much as riding it.
OP, I see a little push button starter solenoid cover in one of your pics, they come in handy at times. Just don't play with it when the bike is in gear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm trying to upgrade my rear suspension. Red came with 12" shocks and some said these were stock on a Super Glide. Anyhow I noticed Red bottoming out going over high places so I put on some Sportster XL1200S shocks, a serious mistake! Now he's bottoming out even worse! The Sportster shocks are sprung way too soft. Should've known! I've got some used 13.5" Dyna shocks to try out next.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the latest: I picked up these FXD 13.5" standard shocks over at Wilson's Cycle [my Indy MC shop] in E'town Kentucky. She handles a lot better now but still bottomed out at a railroad crossing!:mad: I wasn't expecting much from the stock H-D FXD Showa shocks of course! I'm seriously thinking of buying a set of Progressive Suspension 412 14" black in standard suspension. Couldn't find a pic of them on a bike!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts