V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a Super Glide tomorrow. I'm planning on the usual stage 1 upgrades. Is anyone running the Kuryakin Hypercharger Kit?
What's it like? What's you opinion of it?
Also, I know there are limitless possibilities......but..........what do you recommend for a 2-2 exhaust for "The Sound" and still maintain performance? I like Python 3's but I don't like the price. I'd like drag pipes but, like I said I'd like to keep the performance up.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Kury & exhaust mods...

Hey Habanero Kid,

Congrats on the Dyna! Great bike!

The Hypercharger is said to be somewhat restrictive due to the smallish surface area of its filter. Taking into consideration the ram-air effect at speed, I wonder if this claim is true. Mine doesn't seem to be choked up at all even at 95 cid.

Asthetically, the Kury has few rivals. It looks hot! Performance wise I believe it's in the same category as the SE.

As far as a good performing inexpensive exhaust upgrade goes, check out a set of Cycle Shack slip-ons. They used to make the SE mufflers for Harley before the SE IIs came out. Great sound, good value and one of the best power makers of the slip-on mufflers on the market.

Don't neglect to rejet your Keihin or do a Dynojet kit since once you do the intake and exhaust upgrades you'll be exasserbating an already lean condition. One jet size up from stock for both jets should put you in the ball park if not a little rich. You may also want to remove the welsch plug and enrichen the idle mixture a bit.

The above mods come relatively cheap and will net you around 75 horse compared to the stock 65. After that expect to throw roughly $100 per horsepower at it.

My '99 FXDX Superglide Sport is rodded as follows and will ball you up on the seat and wrinkle your face up quite nicely... 95 cubic inch, 10.5 to 1 hi-comp forged pistons, SE heads, roller rockers, SE 257 cams, adj. push rods, SE 6200 rpm race ign., Thunderslide and fat jets, Kuryakyn black powdercoated Hypercharger, Samson Street Sweeper exhaust w/torque cones. One horsepower & footpound of torque per cubic inch conservetively rated.

Enjoy the new ride.

Later,

Mike

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I agree the Kury is the best looking air cleaner out there, I found one for 179.00, I may have to go get it. How was it to install? It seems like a snap.

Sounds like you got yourself a hot scoot...... I'll just have to take a step at a time. Some day I'll have a powerhouse like that.:D

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Kury install...

Hey there Habanero,

The kury is a relatively easy install. Just be careful while removing your stock breather bolts. Don't try to remove them one at a time and all to once. Break them both loose and back each one out a little at a time front to back or vice versa. The backing plate will follow the breather bolts out until free. Harley has been known to use thread locker on these and it's not uncommon for the threads to become damaged upon removal. Use a 7/16" deep 6 point socket and go gently.

I chose to run a Screamin' Eagle breather manifold rather than the ugly rubber hoses that came with the Kury. It took a little modification but made for a much more sanitary look. Some brass or copper shim washers under the banjo fittings on the breather and a 90 deg. brass 1/8" pipe thread to3/8" hose barb at the carb spacer does the trick. Don't forget to plug the other hole (smaller one 180 deg. off) in the spacer if you choose to run this setup.

It should only take about an hour or so to install. Same for the pipes. While you've got the AC off you might as well pull the carb and do the jets. All tolled, you're looking at about three to Four hours work. A good rainy afternoon job!

Check out Ebay for Dyna exhaust. Lotsa stuff there!

Have fun!

Later,

Mike

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it

I went through and did the mods Sat. I heard about 50/50 - pro/con on the Kury. I went to a 'lil store near where I work and found a Ness Big Sucker kit for $70 :D I got the Keihin re jet kit and went El Cheapo on the exhaust for now. Cut the welds and pulled out the baffles. I went to a 48/195 jet. What a difference !!!!!! The bike wants to leap out from under me when I nail it......Est time was right on the $$$$$$$$$$.
It took me 4 hours & 2 trips to the hardware store. But Stage 1 is complete.

Thanks for the help, SS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts