V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2006 Wide Glide yesterday. Was only able to ride about 50 miles so far. Anyway, if anyone is considering buying one, here are a few new owner comments. I have previously owned a Sportster and a Deuce, so comments are relative to those bikes.

The bike is absolutely stock - no changes were made when I got it from the dealer. First and foremost, the bike handles extremely well. I don't know if that is due to the heavier frame and forks, or different rake. But it handles better than my Deuce. In fact, much better. Cornering feels solid.

The other noticeable difference is the transmission. Gears are much smoother - no clunking/clicking sounds when changing gears. The clutch is also easier to operate.

I am tall, and the reach on the DWG is better. The mini-apes give the ability to adjust the reach to the bars relatively easy, and the distance to the forward controls is longer. Net result is a better fit for a tall rider.

The EFI worked flawlessly. No more messing with the enrichener knob. No spits, misses, or backfires.

The bike vibrates at idle, much more than the Deuce, but less than the sporster. However, once moving, it is very smooth. Can't really tell a difference between it and the Deuce.

The only thing I do not like is the seat. I had a tendency to slide some. Plus, my other bikes had backrests - so I am spoiled.

All in all, I like the bike a lot in the short miles I put on it. Highly recommended.

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Good review and Congratulations on the WG!! Make sure to post some pictures if you get a chance!!:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congratulations on the new WG. Wlcome to the Dyna family. The difference at idle is the difference between the 88 and the 88b counter balanced engine in soft tails. The 88b is much smoother at idle but at the expense of acceleration.

Many, many happe miles on your new ride and may the rubber side always be pointed down.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Congrats on the Wideglide.

But it handles better than my Deuce. In fact, much better. Cornering feels solid.

The dyna platform makes for better handling than the softails. The shocks on the dyna are better able to dampen and control the swingarm than on the softails.

As for the vibration at idle, it has a lot to do with the rubber mount engine. My 97 Evo shakes a lot at idle, so much that the floating rotor on the front wheel rattles, but as soon as you ride off it settles right down.

It sounds like they have the problems sorted out on the new transmission and its working great.

Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got my '06 WG back in November, and I can pretty much echo your comments, VaRanger.

The tranny recall work was completed this past Saturday, and that has hepled a bunch. Ditto on the seat, I'll be adding a Mustang wide solo tourer w/ backrest soon.

If I can ever find the right windshield, I'll be set.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcome to Wideglide land! I've ridden all the soft tails and like the Deuce , but like my FXDWG3 the best. The 06's are nice , glad they went to a 90/90x21 up front, I switched to one about 4K miles ago and really like it. If you drop it an inch , it handles even better.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
?prty: Welcome to the world of WG, the coolest Harley going.

I have an 05 and although your 06 has a great deal of improvements I would suggest the following for thought;

1. I did the 1" lowering rear shocks, improved handling / stability and gave the rear a better look in my opinion.

2. I changed the fork oil to the SE Heavy fork oil, and big improvement in "diving" and got rid of thump / clunk over bumps, also had dealer tweaked the top nut, that may have helped fork clunk also.

3. Changed brake lines to braided and improved brake feel.

And of course, exhaust & Stage I really adds some zest.

Hey, where are the pics! :beer:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree withyou, VARANGER

I too just purchased a new 06 Wide Glide. Having ridden both previous dynas and softails, this new frame geometry, with the new rake, different size wheel and tire combination along with the increased fork diameter, make for a much improved ride. The new model feels better balanced, and solid than the previous Wide Glides. Braking has improved with the new front disc, and shifting is more like that of metric bikes than a harley with the new transmission and clutch actuator. As for vibration, all dynas vibrate at idle due to the rubber mounting. This is much more acceptable than the vibration at speed (particularly at a 60mph cruise) of the softails. I have already added some of the obligatory chrome (pegs, grips, belt guard and sproket cover, and of course, the Wide Glide Trademark, sissy bar) (now, for the first time optional). I also added the Stage 1 map, SE air cleaner and SE11 slip ons. It runs great, handles exceptionally and sounds sweet! Only problem with the new Wide Glide is the uniqueness of accessory parts that will only fit the new glides and do not carry over from previous versions. More new parts will be available as time goes on, I'm sure. So far, only praise for my favorite cruiser in Harley's lineup, made better in 06. Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
150 Posts
DCRANER said:
?prty: Welcome to the world of WG, the coolest Harley going.

I have an 05 and although your 06 has a great deal of improvements I would suggest the following for thought;

1. I did the 1" lowering rear shocks, improved handling / stability and gave the rear a better look in my opinion.

2. I changed the fork oil to the SE Heavy fork oil, and big improvement in "diving" and got rid of thump / clunk over bumps, also had dealer tweaked the top nut, that may have helped fork clunk also.

3. Changed brake lines to braided and improved brake feel.

And of course, exhaust & Stage I really adds some zest.

Hey, where are the pics! :beer:
Did you only drop the back 1"? or did you also drop the front as well? I heard things can get squirrley if you don't drop both ends equal.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mine came 1" lower at both ends, I lowered my wife's Sporty in the back and it didn't mess with the handling , but I'd recommend going for both. With an 06 you might want to consider going to the 180 in back when tire time comes , the wide tire kit is pretty reasonable.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
dougsthang' said:
Did you only drop the back 1"? or did you also drop the front as well? I heard things can get squirrley if you don't drop both ends equal.
I just did the rear with HD 1" lowering shocks.

Handling improved and ride also, no "squirley", just feels better balanced.

Lowering front would most likely make it that much better, but the SE heavy fork oil was a nice upgrade on my 05 FXDWG.

I ride solo, but the HD 1" lowering shocks are adjustable for rider weight, so no bottoming with me and probably could be adjusted tighter for 2 up riding.

Also, dealer usually pumps 40 + psi in the tires, I have 30 front and 36 rear, rides real nice.

Ride on!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've ridden two up with up to 180lb passenger with no problems , mine came stock with Fox/HD shocks , Fox no longer makes HD shocks. I've used heavy SE fork oil for 3 years now , the only way to go. I'd recommend Progressives if you are swapping shocks , they are like velvet. My wife had a 2" shorter 412 on her sporty and it rode fine with me at 220.

·
Registered
3 Posts
06 WideGlide

I also got new 06 WG..First one ever!! Ordered it with accessories to be put on for pick up in May. Billit drag style handle bars with i think 4" risers and all new cables that I had to change with the new bars. Wide tire kit, upgraded spoke rims, SE pipes slash cut, and i traded in the bobbed rear fender for the low rider type rap around fender. I always wanted a harley but like the almost chopper type style too. Now, with the rake to 34-36 degrees, little bigger tire, drag type bars, and nice rear fender...I got the bike, customized from Harley that I always wanted. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts