V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New, dumb, and no bike

Hey everyone,
I'm new here. I'm 23 and have never owned a motorcycle. I got my liscence last year (I took a safety course so I could get my liscence without owning a bike). I'm sure I will own a Harley or two in the future. That's the plan for now, anyways. Anyhoo, thanks in advance for not knocking me for not having a bike and for helping me learn about what are arguably the best motorcycles on the planet.
MD
I posted a question on the general board. Check it out.

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome Tex!

Buy the Harley when you can, but don't let that MC license grow mold until then ... While your in Japan, get hold of a lil' ol cheapo rice-burner and ride the wheels off! Nothing helps your safety factor improve like miles in the saddle, and it don't really matter what you ride, as long as you ride ...

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Texan, what are you doing half a world away anyhow? We don't hold it against you for not having a bike yet. You are at the right place to be for Harley talk. Once Harley Davidson motorcycle fever is in your blood it's not going away easily. Hope you can get the bike of your dreams soon. Welcome to the forum.

Later,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Texaninjapan

Welcome, Do not worry about anything,San Diego H.D. has a lot of bikes to choose from. Just check out witch one you would like to be yours and work to get it. Have fun and talk to you later.

KrazyGG

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
First Bike?

And if you can't afford a H/D as a first bike, take comfort in knowing a lot of riders on this Board did NOT start with a Harley.

It may take some time to afford that first Harley but it'll be WORTH IT!!! ;)

In the mean time, enjoy the H/D Forum. We're looking forward to your input and feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Nice to have you here.Don't worry,no one is gonna knock you for not owning a bike yet.As passadenajim said, the wait is definately
worth it!

This is a great place to learn or just hang out, ENJOY!
guido

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't sweat it

Like they said don't wait on a getting a bike!!! Been riding since I was 15...turn 26 next month and just recently saved up enough for my first Harley :) I don't think I've ever met anyone who had a Harley as their 1st bike. Woulda been nice though:D

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Welcome...

Enjoy the board and get a couple of wheels under ya asap. There's nothing like it! You don't have to be on a Harley to put your knees in the breeze. Basically, it's all the same.

Enjoy

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support. Another question.

Well, I'm convinced. Mr. Suzuki, the computer teacher at the school where I teach English here in Japan took me out for a ride on Saturday. He used his Honda 1300 and offered me his CB400 to ride. I live in a town surrounded on all sides by mountains. Oh, and the beach is only 30 minutes away also. Isn't that nice? Oh, and another thing. In Japan, there are 3 classes of motorcycle liscenses:125cc, 400cc, and bigger than 400cc, and they are all very expensive. To get the bigger than 400 liscense costs around 800$, but my Texas liscense and my international driving permit allow me to ride any size bike (very nice). So it has been hard to think of legit reasons for not buying a bike here.

I hope to be buying a bike towards the end of April. I don't know for sure what kind yet, but I'm hoping for a used Suzuki SV650S or if I'm lucky, a used TL1000S. I want to steer clear of Cruisers because they are very expensive over here (because they are becoming very popular).

What, if any, opinions do ya'll have about first bikes and engine size. I am an inexperience rider, but I could tell after riding a 400cc bike for a couple of hours, that I would get bored with that size quickly. But, should I luck in to a TL1000S for a good price, is that too big? Or is it just a question of self control? Your thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First Bike

My first bike ( not counting dirt bikes) was a Yamaha RD400, this was a quick little bike back in the day. By today's standards a Ninja 600 is concidered a beginners bike. I think that's crazy, those things are just plumb fast. If you get the 1000 take it easy and rememeber that after 3 weeks you haven't mastered it.
Be safe ride sane JJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both nice bikes

I've ridden both a TL and a SV. It really boils down to which engine type you prefer V-twin (TL) vs a 4cyl (SV650). Both have a load of aftermarket accessories for them since they are both very popular bikes. If it was my choice I'd take the SV650 for a few reasons...they are a more reliable bike, I don't much care for v-twin sportbikes :D, and the SV is a much more nimble/flickable bike than the TL. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the TL it's just my $.02 :) As for the TL being too big for you I wouldn't worry. A v-twin 1000cc is like night and day vs. a 4 cyl 1000cc. You would be able to handle the TL with no problems. EIther way you go I doubt you'll be dissapointed for both bikes are sweet.
-Ride Safe-

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Starting with a small size bike is a good idea. A good way to learn.

I don't know what bike models are readily avaiable in Japan. However, there is a class of motorcycles commonly called "standards". An example of a bike in this class is a Honda Nighthawk 750. Definitely not a sports bike. Definitely not a cruiser. But an enjoyable ride with acceptable handling and performance. Motorcycle Consumer News rates/evaluates bikes. You may want to check out a few issues. There are lots of good choices out there! Obviously, a 750 is not a starter bike but I was recommending it to you for an upgrade while you wait for your H/D.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: Both nice bikes

furious77 said:
I've ridden both a TL and a SV. It really boils down to which engine type you prefer V-twin (TL) vs a 4cyl (SV650). Both have a load of aftermarket accessories for them since they are both very popular bikes. If it was my choice I'd take the SV650 for a few reasons...they are a more reliable bike, I don't much care for v-twin sportbikes :
The SV650 is a V-twin.

It's a very cool bike that you can learn on and it's powerful enough to give you lots of enjoyment after you get used to it. The first street bike I owned was a Yamaha 650 but the SV650 is in a totally different class. That bike is developing a cult following in the states. I personally like the SV650S with a half fairing for a few bones more. I was all ready to pick up a new SV650S but found out I'm moving soon. I still may get one later but now I'm leaning towards the Bandit 1200S. That is unless Suzuki comes out with a SV1000. I don't think the TL1000 is sold in the states anymore. The V-twin sport bikes haven't really caught on here like they have in Europa.

Tex, are you authorized to buy from AAFES?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Doh!!!

Doh!!! Now I feel like a dumbass. Goes to show how much (or little) I know about Suzuki :) I thought it was a 4 banger.....*removes head from arse and presses on*

Bandit 600s=4 stroke
SV650=v twin

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hey Furious, don't feel bad. If you'd asked me a month ago I'd a had no clue. Just rescently became re-interested in *** sport bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts