V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
82 FXR, taper shaft, stock engine
Looking to buy a new clutch assembly and wanting to get some recommendations.
1. I would like to stay at 500.00 or below
2. My engine is stock and I don't push the bike hard at all
3. Mainly I want something dependable with parts that that are easy to get

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
871 Posts
They have helpful customer service. I just ordered a complete clutch including basket (but for a splined shaft and with the flyweight assisted pressure plate so the part numbers won't help) after reading all the recommendations here. I suggest emailing them (which preserves a record of the discussion) and ordering direct so you get exactly what you need. Support Here's the install guide section so ya can review it before the parts show up: Installation Guides

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I would much rather the stock Shovel clutch than any till after 1994!!!
But... I been having them for a very long time!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm curious...since your bike is stock, and you're not pushing it..why not just replace with stock parts..??
JP or any of the parts guys has all kind of options without getting anywhere near your $500.00 limit, unless I"m missing something.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I'm curious...since your bike is stock, and you're not pushing it..why not just replace with stock parts..??
JP or any of the parts guys has all kind of options without getting anywhere near your $500.00 limit, unless I"m missing something.
Agree.. Mine are Fine as O.E.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
I'd keep the stock 3 finger clutch hub and basket and check everything. Make sure the fingers (10 of them) don't have any grooves in the from the plates. Make sure the inside of the clutch basket where the plates hit aren't grooved or worn. Check the pressure plate for flat. If it is all good, change the plates and steals and call it good.

There is no issue with running the stock clutch. I have a 83 FXRT with the same clutch and I do wheelies and burnouts with it every time I ride (see avatar). The clutch isn't a weak point. Make sure you adjust it properly by the book.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
another vote for the pro clutch.. i used 1 in my 113", 137hp engine, with the taper shaft,,, not 1 issue in 12-13 years,, i ran it hard,, wound the rpm's up to near 6500k rpm daily.. the majority of issues with the taper shaft, and shovel style clutch were caused by the mechanics and owners, cutting corners, using cheap made in taiwan parts when repairing the oem clutch..
the pro clutch was used in all the customs made in the early 2000's during the factory built custom choppers of the era.. it is as solid and trouble free clutch as you can buy for $500..

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
another vote for the pro clutch.. i used 1 in my 113", 137hp engine, with the taper shaft,,, not 1 issue in 12-13 years,, i ran it hard,, wound the rpm's up to near 6500k rpm daily.. the majority of issues with the taper shaft, and shovel style clutch were caused by the mechanics and owners, cutting corners, using cheap made in taiwan parts when repairing the oem clutch..
the pro clutch was used in all the customs made in the early 2000's during the factory built custom choppers of the era.. it is as solid and trouble free clutch as you can buy for $500..
Oh yes... I also have a Pro Clutch... trouble free... But, I would Not say there is a Difference from a Properly set-up O.E. system..Lighter wallet tho! Maybe Lighter Lever Pull....

·
Registered
127 Posts
82 FXR, taper shaft, stock engine
Looking to buy a new clutch assembly and wanting to get some recommendations.
1. I would like to stay at 500.00 or below
2. My engine is stock and I don't push the bike hard at all
3. Mainly I want something dependable with parts that that are easy to get

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Why would you spend that kind of money for an after market clutch. Your stock with maybe a heave pressure plate will be more than fine!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts