V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting new samson pipes soon and wondering if i should go to a s&s or just rejet the stock carb? what are the differences between the S&S E, and the others? thanks ST

·
old timer
516 Posts
Re-jet the CV...S&S makes a good carb for all out running but the CV is the best carb out there....

Pipes and an airclearner kit???? Re-jet, you'll get better fuel mileage and more reliable performance with the CV.

manny

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can stay with the CV and re-jet and save yourself some money or (my personal choice) go with a Mikuni HSR 42. My experience is the S&S tends to make horsepower on the upper end where the Mikuni makes power on the low to mid. Either way like Manny says get a quality hi-flow air cleaner, SE or K&N. Good luck and hold on.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Rejet the stock carb.

If you absolutely have to have a different carb get a Mikuni. The S&S make good top end power but have lousy midrange and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive had reasonable experience with both the S&S and the Mikuni, and I would agree that Mikuni would be the way to go. Since you are still going at 88', the hsr42 would go nicely, as the 45 and even the 48 might be way too much carb.....

Rejetting the CV is just OKAY...but then, moderation is not my strongest suit...make sure though that when you get the mikuni 42, you get the new kit since there is an old type 42 where you have to get special cables...the new kits make use of the stock cables on your sled.

i also suggest the k&n airfilter...makes breathing a whole lot easier...cheaper also in the long run....

·
old timer
516 Posts
I am getting ready to install the Stage II kit. 95 c.i. 203 cams, Screamin Eagle heads and I'll still stick with the CV...I have a Stage IV EVO with the big HP and I went to the mikuni but I think the CV will handle the low compression Stage II Twin Cam nicely.

manny

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Unless you're trying to milk every last bit of HP and torque out of the bike and just want a good streetable setup for a reasonable amount of $$$, put a K&N filter in the stock air box and put a 1988 XL needle in the carb along with re-adjusting the mixture screw. Makes for a very good setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts