V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 Deuce & I'm considering new cams for a power boost. My bike is mostly stock with the exception of the breather kit & Dyno jet kit in the carb. & stock pipes which I've "gutted". I don't want to get into a big bore kit or anything that involved for cost as well as reliability/mileage reasons. I'm looking at Andrews TW37 cams & would like to know if anyone has experience(good or bad) with them. The Andrews site says they can be installed with stock compression & no removal of stock lifters or valve springs. But, if there is not substantial gain over stock I may look into other options. thanks in advance!!!

S

·
0 Posts
EITHER YOUR LOOKING FOR "SUBSTANTIAL GAIN" OR YOUR NOT....IT'S DEFINITELY AVAILABLE, BUT YOU WILL BE INTO THE $ LIKE IT OR NOT.....IF YOU WANT SUBSTANTIAL GAIN---RESEARCH THE HEADS, PISTONS, CAMS, CARB AND PIPES FOR THE $ YOUR WILLING TO SPEND BEFORE DOING ONE THING @ A TIME...SUGGEST BRANCH STAGE 4 HEADS WITH MATCHING 10.5 TO 1 PISTONS (WON'T HAVE TO BORE BIGGER, SAVE $) AND STILL PICK-UP CONSIDERABLE ADDTL. POWER-----MY 2 CENTS----GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spence, What I mean by substantial gain is maybe 15-20hp & about the same gain in torque. If it's possible to do that without replacing heads& such ,I'm all for it . I am not willing to spend 2grand to make these gains. I'm a mech. by trade (not on bikes though) & understand that components need to be "matched" so they will work together & not against each other.

I realize the stock parts are not the best for maximum perf. ,but I'm looking for descent gains & not a 130hp ground pounder.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Desired performance gains...

motorhead,

After the cheapest power gains of seven to ten horsepower/pound foot of torque are achieved through intake and exhaust mods, you will be throwing approximately $100 per horsepower at your engine. There is no way around it! You can make these things go like nuts but it is expensive.

For example, the engine in my FXDX has a full compliment of Screamin' Eagle go fast goodies to the tune of a 35 - 40 horsepower/foot pound of torque increase over stock. The build was in the $3500 to $4000 range. The incl. labor hit was $800. This is considered the normal layout for a 95 - 100 horse mill.

By doing the cams alone you will not realize much gain since the stock heads do not flow enough air to let the cams work to their full potential. Some have actually gone backwards and made less power after a cam upgrade due to the bottle neck these stock heads create.

Good luck and enjoy

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
MOTORHEAD,

YOU CAN PROBABLY PICK UP APPROXIMATELY 15 H.P. WITH GOOD SET OF PIPES AND DYNA JET KIT ALONE......BEING A MECHANIC, I'M SURE YOU KNOW BIG BOOST COMES FROM HEADS ( OR HEADWORK @ LEAST) AND CAMS, CARB, AND ADJUSTABLE IGN. TELL YOU WHAT THOUGH...TRY WWW.BRANCHFLOWMETRICS.COM .....NO THEY AREN'T CHEAP, BUT WHAT AN INCREASE OVER STOCK POWER...I'VE ALWAYS BEEN SOMEWHAT OF A PISTON HEAD MYSELF, AND DIDN'T QUITE FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH MY 99 EVO @ 57 H.P. STOCK......WENT WITH THE BRANCH STAGE 4 HEADS, MATCHING 10.5 TO 1 PISTONS, EV 59 CAM (255 DURATION, 560 LIFT) MIKUNI HSR 42 CARB, V&H BIG SHOTS, AND DYNA PAK 2000 ADJ IGN. ALL THE THINGS THEY RECOMMENDED ON THEIR WEB SITE...HAD DYNOED LAST NOV.---96 H.P. @ REAR WHEEL---WHAT AN AWSOME DIFFERENCE....YOUR CALL BOSS----GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. guys! I will look into the mods you've mentioned as cash allows. Although the post may sound like it I'm not a cheapskate but I have three bikes to deal with & it's hard to spend that kind of cash on one that runs good now(reliable).:)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
If you dont increase the compression I would suggest a cam with an earlier intake closing, like the TW26A. The reason for the late intake closing is to bleed off some compression on a high compression motors so you dont get pinging and for easier starting. JMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Favorite Twin Cam Motor.

Just my 2 cents worth. If you want to build a Kick-Ass street twin cam motor, here is my favorite one,
SE 95 inch cylinders with SE cast High Compression Pistons.
SE 203 cams.
Mikuni HSR 42mm Carb.
Dyna Ignition Module set at 6000 rpm limit.
SE II slip on Mufflers.

I never Dyno'ed this motor, but after building 3 other Twin Cams up to a 106" stroker, I have to say, for the bucks this was my favorite street motor. I would suggest that you machine the stock heads for SE compression Releases. After replacing 3 starter clutches I did, and never replaced the clutch again.

Hreagle
([email protected])

·
Registered
780 Posts
hdxlr8r said:
If you dont increase the compression I would suggest a cam with an earlier intake closing, like the TW26A. The reason for the late intake closing is to bleed off some compression on a high compression motors so you dont get pinging and for easier starting. JMHO
Let me throw in my 2 cents. Have done several {stock } bikes with Andrews 26G cams and you WILL feel a difference ! If you don't want to work the heads right now,then try the 26s ,you will be happy you did. Nice improvement all the way across the board.

·
Registered
755 Posts
motorhead said:
I'm looking at Andrews TW37 cams & would like to know if anyone has experience(good or bad) with them. The Andrews site says they can be installed with stock compression & no removal of stock lifters or valve springs.
Attached is a dyno from an 01 Fatboy with stock everything except the 37G cams, SE/CycleShack slip-ons, and a PowerCommander to tune it in nicely. No headwork, etc.
Ya, I would say that 87ft/lbs is a substantial increase over stock with no internal engine work done other than those cams...

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts