V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my BB build completed and these are my observations. I did all the work myself except of course the machine shop work. The whole job took me about 15 slow methodical hours. No special tools were used with the exception of the oil pump alignment pins, I'm not convinced they are entirely required either. I used a $10 pilot bearing puller (Harbor Freight) for the inner cam bearings that I modified by grinding the jaws to fit between the flywheel and the cam case...worked like a charm. The Torrington inner bearings are much more robust than the stick Ina's as documented. I used the oven/freezer method for the cams and cam plate, again this worked great, no surprises at all. Once I got her all back together and buttoned up she fired right up! No oil leaks at all...and yes, it did have oil. The TW44 cams give it a lopey idle and it sounds deeper and louder, even after modifying the Thunderheader baffles. I took it on a short test ride and it was painfully obvious that the SERT map that I have SUCKS! It was running lean, had flat spots and surged at different RPM ranges, but luckily no pinging which was a concern of mine with 190ccp. I've made a couple of adjustments to the map to fatten up the flat areas and have eliminated most of the lower RPM surge and popping. It's somewhat ridable now and out of the lean danger zone, I've put a little over 100 miles on it. It does seem to have gobs of torque even though I'm somewhat babying it until broken-in. She pulls real hard even with the sucky map, I can't wait until I can get it on a dyno and properly tuned! I was very surprised at the low end torque, the TW44's are suppose to be mid to high RPM cams but it seems that the higher compression (10:1) has beefed up the lower end and it isn't soft there at all. Over all I think I have a very balanced combo and I saved a ton of cash plus the satisfaction of doing this myself. The forum has been a great asset for information and Bean at Bigboyz does quality work with great customer service. So far I'm very satisfied!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Hey congrats!

Now, go get it tuned. make the appointment with the best SERT tuner you can find. At least getting the AFR right is a step in the right direction and then hopefully getting the spark advance where it needs to be with the important VE cells.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to get at least 500 miles on it before putting it on a dyno. I used an Edelbrock map for the baseline that was developed for their kit and a Thunderheader. I adjusted the VE's, did minor tweaks to the spark tables, decel deleanment, and accell enrichment to get where I'm at now. I really could use a better baseline map, but it is at least drivable now.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
I can tell you what I used. I put them on the end of the old cams and carefully tapped them in with a hammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now why didn't I think of that !

I'm hoping to hire a jim's installer but if that does not come together then bearings and old cams in the freezer and out to the gargae with a hammer...

Many thanks

TC

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
I didn't even put them in the freezer but it wouldn't hurt. Just put a little assembly lube on them, made sure to start them straight and tap them home.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Let me start by saying that I am in no way a trained tech, but when you install a bearing you really should press it in by the outer race of the bearing.

I dont know exactly how the bearing and cam fit together but you'd be better off by using a brass or PVC pipe that fits over the outer race and using a soft mallet to drive it in. The cam bearings are better suited for rotating forces as opposed to thrust forces.

Oh well, just my -2$en#e-

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TC(UK) said:
Gulfstream,

What did you use to insert the inner cam bearings ?

Thanks

TC
I used a $10 Bearing Driver kit from Harbor Freight and a soft mallet, worked like a champ. Also froze the bearings first.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
That is just what the old cam becomes, a driver with the right contact point on the race not the bearing. If you had the bearing and cam in your hand you would see what I mean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts