V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got out on sat and got about 40 miles on my new build on p mostly dry roads, It was much nicer than the little 20 mile I took last week in the rain. Got up sunday and the roads were still dry so I got out and changed my oil and headed out, figured I'd just ride, follow the breaks in the clouds and when it started raining again, head for home.
The build was just completed a little over a week ago. it is an 01 FLTRI/Road Glide for those of you who haven't read about it previously. it consisted of Bigboyz heads, tw37 cams 9.7:1 CR, V&H Propipe and a Gerolamy 42mm bored throttle body/intake. It was broken in on the dyno and the PCIII custom mapped.
All I can say is this thing is AWESOME!! It pulls great from about 2300 up but really hits like a freight train about 2800, then a blink of an eye and yer at 5k. The acceleration is amazing, the roll on from cruising R's is much better than I had ever expected. At one spot, I came around a corner with a long straight flat stretch of road ahead and great visibility, I was cruising at about 2800 in 5th (60mph, something just not feasible before) and I rolled on and started counting while watching the road not the speedo, 1000-1, 1000-2, 1000-3,... when I got to 6, I looked down at the speedo, 105mph! had I gone from 4th to 5th, would have been way quicker but this was amazing enough cuz I like to go 100 but not many spots around the places I ride,now theres alot more places! Just seat of the pants impressions as they relate to the kind of riding I do most of the time which is 2 lane county roads with twisties and small hills, alot of 30mph to 60mph stuff, use to require a some shifting cuz when at stage 1, my bike just wouldn't pull out of an uphill switchback from 2400 rpm with any authority, when I am leaned over like that I want some power to pull me out of the corner. No more downshifting and keeping the bike above 3k all the time anymore now, plenty of torque and power to pull me through.
One of the things I couldn't help but notice was how effortlessly the motor seemed to perform all of these amazing feats. It just never seemed like it was really working hard.
I could it was about rain time and it was getting dark and cold so I pulled into the gas station before I want home, 100 miles on the trip meter and she was full (5.4 on trip meter)when I started out the day. 3.9 gallons! OUCH!! well, I was having an awful lot of fun and was on the throttle all day. She's gotta go back on the dyno again anyhow to fix a minor hesitation at low r's especially between gears (it's pretty easy to see on the dyno sheet in dyno forum). I'll do quite a few more tanks of gas between now and then and get a true milage figure although I suspect it's gonna be pretty low for quite awhile even after it's dialed in better cuz it's just so damn fun to twist that throttle!!

If you are thinking about this or a similar build, quit thinking, quit waiting, do it now!!! You won't be sorry!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Welcome to the TW37 club

:chopper: CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

I have virtually the same build but with Scotsman heads @ 9.8:1, and the Fatcat.

Your experience is virtually identical to mine. With my custom map my rear tire actually breaks loose in first and revs up fast. I did notice a slight flat spot using a canned MAP but that is gone now. How SWEEET it is.

The only thing I do not care for is the additional ticking at idle when the bike is hot. Other than that life is good.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
With the +2 key and Dresser Duals on my 37G build, I don't have the top end numbers, but I can't feel any point where mine comes "on the cam", either since it pulls from 1900.
Good stuff for a fat bagger...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Todd, Lucky for me, doesn't really get hot in Oregon and my trip rides usually don't get me out where it's blistering for hours on end or in town sitting in traffic.

Dave, what do you mean about top end #'s? I haven't taken mine out past 5k and only there a couple of times. Even with the Dyno Break-In, there are some pretty specific procedures they want for the first couple of hundred miles.
The reason I ask is because when I switch to the gear cams, mine are chain, I was thinking about the +2* key. I will probably do this pretty early in the spring so I want as many opinions and impressions as I can get before hand. Guess if I don't like it, I can always switch it back.... I just wanna be totally done with the motor...

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Sounds like you are a happy camper...

Good report on the build. Congrats and enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts