V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm from Sussex, UK, near the Sussex Downs, where I have some of the best back roads in the country to tear up on my 2001 FXDX! I've had it for a few months and I love it!!:woohoo:

I've done nearly 3k miles since mid June but that's mostly due to us having the wettest summer in over 300 years. It's difficult to get motivated to go out riding when there's a monsoon going on.

Previously, I had a 1990 4 speed 883 Sportster for 5 years, which I really enjoyed year - round, but I always wanted a Big Twin. I've been off the road for a few years but have finally got into the position where I can afford one and have a safe garage to keep it in. It's been worth the wait! Even the missus likes it!

I got the bike from an older guy, who had crashed it & his wife wanted him to sell it. It only had 6k miles on it, with £4000.00 worth of work and new parts fitted by the insurance company; the tank, V&H longshots exhaust, shocks, discs, fender, master cylinder, all levers, controls & bars. Its got a white Bros lowering kit at the back pre-fitted, EZ clutch, slide on/off rack & sissy bar (easiest thing I've ever had to fit to a bike).

There's nothing wrong with it, it looks as good as new (some years it didn't even do 700 miles!!!!) and handles better than my sporty did now that I've got used to the weight.

The first thing I did was fit some Avon Venoms as the original Dunlops were barely legal. What a difference! I nearly took the bike back to the shop because it felt so different - it just doesn't want to stand up straight! Definitely recommended.

Next I had to fit some baffles to get through the MOT (on my first visit the shop just laughed at me!). The V&H ones were £70.00 the pair and actually slightly improve mid-range. It's easier on the ear with my open face lid, but they will soon come back out again when I fancy a change.

I'm not in any club, I've usually always ridden alone or with one or two mates, but I think I'll give the local HOG a go. I've met a couple of their members at the local HD dealers who I get on with & they recommend it, which is as good a reason as any.

For me, only Harleys will do. Old Brit bikes are close second but don't have the sound, nor the feel. They do have class, though.

Bye for now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Bash
Read your post and wanted to say welcome from Texas ! You would love the Harley rallys here.....thousands of bikes ! I ride a 2000 Deuce with 95 inch build putting out about 102 hp...I love this bike. Wanted to ask..I have a 1968BSA Lightning for a winter restoration project..can you help ??? lol
Are there many Harley's in Sussex ? Enjoy your bike and ride safe !

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Motorcyclist magazine in the US did a review of the FXDX and stated that the handling was surprising for a Harley. I have made a few mods to my 2005 (seat, exhaust, engine) but the suspension is all original. Not quite as good handling as my FJ, but I still like taking it out on twisty roads.

·
Go fast or dont go.
150 Posts
Welcome, its a great forum, lots of ideas and experience to draw from. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts